Job Summary Relocating? Explore all that Mohave County has to offer at: h ttp://www.mohavedevelopment.org/liveandplay/live-play/ Mohave County Library is currently recruiting for a Library Assistant in Kingman, AZ.
**The Library Assistant is a full-time position (40 hours per week). Must be willing to work days, evenings and weekends**. Hiring Range 6, Step 1-2: $13.21/hr - $13.87/hr
- Experience driving Bookmobiles or other large vehicles.
- Overnight travel may be required.
Performs a variety of journey level office support, clerical work and activities involved in providing public and technical services in a library environment. REPORTS TO
Work is performed under the general supervision of a higher level of authority. SUPERVISION EXERCISED
May exercise technical, functional and/or direct supervision of new or less experienced Library Assistants, Library Clerks, clerical temporaries and volunteers.Essential Job Functions
ON ASSIGNMENT OUTREACH
- Maintains, with relative independence, a significant phase or segment of a clerical process or office activity.
- Maintains and establishes associated files to include entering information and documents into filing and data systems insuring completeness and accuracy.
- Prepares standardized reports and statements.
- Collects, compiles and submits data for use in statistical reports, internal operating studies or policy formulation. Develops and run reports and queries.
- Performs a variety of clerical tasks to include but not limited to: answering phones, responding to routine information requests, assisting patrons in completion of forms, assisting with maintenance of records and other related documents, typing various forms and memos, and filing.
- Prepares library borrower cards, assists in the maintenance of patron files and distributes informational materials.
- Assists in maintaining a pleasant, informative library to include the creation of information and promotional displays.
- Assists with collection development, inventory and the maintenance of shelves as required. Searches shelves for misplaced or missing books.
- Checks materials in and out, maintains files of materials in circulation, maintains reserve lists and hold notices, and notifies patrons when materials are available for pickup. Maintains automated and manual files of delinquency notifications, including recording fines paid.
- Assists in providing patrons with instruction in the use of various library tools and reference resources, identifying appropriate sources and locating reference needs. Assists in the preparation of bibliographies and other informational brochures, pamphlets, and handouts.
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assist in the training of new library coordinators, and volunteers.
- Plans, develops and presents activities or programs for children, teens and adults for Community Libraries and Bookmobiles.
- Drives Bookmobile to designated locations.
- Oversee the stocking of Bookmobiles.
- Oversee the cleaning, inspection and ensures proper maintenance of Bookmobiles.
- Oversees the work of Library Bookmobile Coordinator.
- Maintain Interlibrary loan process for Community Libraries and Bookmobiles.
- Maintain ability to run and operate Community Libraries and Bookmobile in absence of regular staff.
- Maintain current and updated Community Library pages on the Library website.
- Prepare brochures, pamphlets and handouts for all Community Library programs
- Assist with packing and unpacking of weekly courier.
- May assist in training new clerical employees, temporaries and volunteers.
- May oversee and instruct library pages and volunteers as assigned. May provide training and instruction in specific areas to other staff and volunteers. May be required to solicit the help of volunteers by phone and in person.
- Assists in planning, coordinating, implementing, and evaluating special programs and projects designed to promote specialized library functions. May serve on and take an active role in various committees.
- Performs special assignments as requested.
- Performs related work as required.
- May perform physical processing of library materials, including the application of property stamps, barcodes, spine labels and plastic covers.
- May pack/unpack and load/unload boxes of library materials being received in the department or being sent out to various library locations.
- May serve on and take an active role in various committees.
- May perform original cataloging functions as needed.
- May coordinate special database maintenance projects.
- May implement new and different strategies for the coordination of interdepartmental materials receipt and routing in an everchanging atmosphere.
- May assist in moving materials and staff workstations as needed in an everchanging atmosphere.
- Exercise regular and predictable attendance and punctuality in accordance with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- High School Diploma/GED.
- One (1) year library experience.
- Two (2) years general clerical experience.
- Any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities will be considered in meeting the minimum qualifications.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Knowledge of:
- Must possess a valid driver's license for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
- Will be required to complete Mohave County Defensive Driving and if assigned to Outreach Services or activities involved in driving bookmobile, must attend Mohave County Van Dynamic class.
- Experience driving bookmobiles or other large vehicles if assigned to activities involving driving bookmobile.
- May work with seniors and very young patrons.
- Library facility organization and operations and the procedures, terminology and accepted or common practices, and policies involved in the provision of library services.
- English grammar, spelling, and arithmetic.
- Standard office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Filing and information systems.
- Computing literacy to include use of keyboards, related peripheral equipment, electronic spreadsheet, word processing and department specific software.
- Efficiently operating and utilizing modern office machines as necessary to include typewriters, fax transmittal machines, calculators, and the use of computer keyboards, related peripheral equipment, and applications.
- Maintain and establish filing systems.
- Use good judgment to solve work problems through established guidelines.--interpret technical and departmental information encountered in the performance of responsibilities.
- Work independently in completing assigned tasks accurately and in maintaining standard correspondence, files, and reports of the library.
- Deal courteously with the public and obtain from them the information necessary to assist them.
- Work and communicate effectively with all people contacted verbally and/or in writing.
- Understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
- Deal with individuals who may be disruptive, unruly and/or unstable.
- Perform the essential functions of the job with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Comply with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulations.