Job Summary Relocating? Explore all that Mohave County has to offer at:
h ttp://www.mohavedevelopment.org/liveandplay/live-play/ Mohave County Public Health Department is currently recruiting for an Environmental Health Supervisor. *This position will be working in Lake Havasu City and Bullhead City areas*
Performs first line supervisory and advanced level work involved in assuring compliance with and enforcement of environmental health rules and regulations as set by the State of Arizona. This is the advanced journey level class in the Environmental Health Series and is the first line supervisor. Positions at this level are distinguished from other classes within the series by the complexity of duties assigned. Incumbents perform the most difficult and responsible types of duties within the series. Incumbents at this level are required to be fully trained in all procedures related to assuring compliance with and enforcement of environmental health rules and regulations as set by the State of Arizona. REPORTS TO
Position reports to the Environmental Health Manager. SUPERVISION EXERCISED
Directly exercises immediate to general supervision of assigned subordinates.Essential Job Functions
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Supervises, coordinates, directs and participates in the activities of an assigned area of the Environmental Health Department.
- Supervises, coordinates and performs a variety of administrative staff work such as: scheduling; maintaining records; responding to requests for information or services; performing related administrative, planning and research activities; preparing correspondence, reports, statistical information and budget materials; and assisting in the development of policies, procedures and training.
- Completes performance evaluations; may make hiring recommendations; recommends disciplinary actions; approves vacations and time off; prepares work schedules and assignments; supervises the activities of assigned personnel; monitors reports and record keeping activities filed by assigned personnel for completeness, accuracy, and adherence to policy and procedure guidelines; instructs personnel in departmental policies, procedures and techniques; and provides training.
- Determines best course of action in the completion of assignments in assigned area including setting priorities.
- Assists in and coordinates activities and programs with other Environmental Health areas, County Departments and other individuals, agencies and organizations.
- Inspects, evaluates and renders decisions of compliance or violation on various types of licensed establishments and related public establishments for adherence to environmental health rules and regulations as set by State of Arizona. Licensed and public establishments include, but are not limited to, motels, trailer parks, public bathing facilities, swimming pools, food retail stores, food service establishments, and pet stores.
- Reviews construction plans and specifications of various types of licensed establishments, public establishments or property owners for compliance to environmental health rules and regulations as set by State of Arizona.
- Conducts field and office training and instruction sessions to food service establishments to educate owners and managers on proper environmental health practices and procedures. Consults and instructs owners and managers of licensed public establishments or other individuals of the environmental health practices and procedures and the requirements for building, maintaining or correcting a violation of a public or licensed establishment or within any other scope of the environmental health area.
- Investigate, respond, and resolve citizen's complaints that involve potential or possible public health problems and against Environmental Health Department personnel within assigned area.
- Coordinates inspection activities with other County departments and governmental agencies.
- Collects field samples for analysis. Conducts investigations of health and disease concerns that reach epidemic proportions and conducts general environmental health surveys. Investigates and surveys areas of potential insect and rodent infestation. Analyzes information gathered, interprets analysis and submits recommendations based on findings.
- Inspects sewage disposal systems of property owners.
- Secures compliance with pertinent regulations by promotion, education and enforcement of environmental health rules and regulations.
- Prepares reports, maintains records and issues environmental health related violation notices, citations and cease operation.
- Performs related work as required.
- Create and maintain a supportive work environment with other departments and community programs, Public Health divisions, and Public Health leadership on accreditation domain while maintaining a culture of quality improvement.
- Apply basic principles, practices, techniques, teaching, and communication methods related to the age, gender, race/ethnicity, educational level and socioeconomic status of community members.
- Communicate and act in a cultural competent and professional manner maintaining cooperative relationships with community members, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs special assignments as requested.
- Exercise regular and predictable attendance and punctuality in accordance with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- High School diploma/GED.
- Current registration by the State of Arizona as a Sanitarian.
- Three (3) or more years of progressively responsible work experience as an Environmental Health Specialist or related environmental health experience including one (1) year of supervisory experience.
- OR any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered in meeting the minimum qualifications.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Knowledge of:
- Must possess a valid driver's license for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
- Must provide driving history upon acceptance of appointment at no cost to the County.
- Meet the physical demands of the job.
- Relevant federal, state and county codes, laws, rules and regulations pertaining to environmental health and sanitation.
- The principles, practices and techniques of environmental health inspections, education, compliance, and enforcement.
- Biological and physical science applicable to environmental health.
- Department policies, rules, regulations, and procedures.
- Principles and practices of leadership, supervision and training.
- Set priorities, assign, schedule, train, supervise and evaluate work activities and to persuade assigned personnel effectively.
- Effectively communicate with the public, staff, and work contacts.
- Interpret technical information encountered in the performance of responsibilities.
- Secure facts, document information, evaluate data, and draw valid conclusions.
- Identify unsanitary, unsafe, or hazardous conditions of property and premises.
- Diplomatically and tactfully resolve nonconforming conditions and code and ordinance violations.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with associate personnel, the general public, County and State departments and agencies and to deal tactfully and diplomatically in adverse situations.
- Maintain records and prepare written reports.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Obtain public cooperation in the establishment and maintenance of reasonable public and environmental health standards for public health and safety.
- Effectively perform the responsibilities of the specialty field and the position.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Work independently in completing assigned tasks accurately and maintaining standard correspondence, files, and reports of the office.
- Analyze information, and interpret and apply technical, legal and departmental information encountered in the performance of responsibilities.
- Comply with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulations.
- Perform the essential functions of the job specifications with or without a reasonable accommodation.