Job Summary Relocating? Explore all that Mohave County has to offer at: h ttp://www.mohavedevelopment.org/liveandplay/live-play/ Mohave County Public Health is currently recruiting for Community Health Education Specialist I's located in Kingman, Az.
**Work is conducted remotely for the COVID-19 Response Contact Investigator. These are Grant Funded Temporary Positions **
**Full Time Temporary on an As Needed Basis**
These positions will be specifically assigned to the COVID-19 response team conducting initial investigation of cases and technical assistance to contact monitors, as needed.
Performs professional journey level work involved in the coordination and administration of projects related to a variety of public health education grant programs to include but not limited to health, exercise, sports science, tobacco use prevention, and other issues as may be defined by the grant program. Work includes planning, developing, implementing and evaluating county-wide public health assessments, education, prevention and intervention programs, and responsibility for the proper care of clients referred for health and intervention programs.
Positions at this level require prior community health education services experience. Appointment to this level requires that the incumbent be performing the full range of duties and meet the qualification standards for the class. The incumbent is expected to perform the more complex or difficult case problems. Responsibilities include assistance in public health education grant program forecasting, implementation and evaluation requirements, planning, personnel, and statistical and program evaluation. REPORTS TO
Work is performed under general supervision of a higher level of authority. The employee is expected to exercise initiative and independent judgment in accordance with established procedures and regulations. SUPERVISION EXERCISED
May exercise technical or functional supervision of subordinates.Essential Job Functions
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Develops and coordinates County health education programs including prevention and education services, counseling, and training.
- Coordinates and presents a variety of workshops designed to educate the public on health, exercise, sports science, tobacco use prevention and other issues as may be defined by the grant program and the prevention of illness, disease and injury.
- Provides prevention and intervention counseling services for individuals; refers individuals to appropriate County or outside agency for assistance.
- Answers questions and provides information to the public; conducts community outreach services to include preparing articles and providing interviews for mass media publication. Participates in community task forces/committees and special events.
- Documents, collects, and interprets data for reporting to state and federal agencies. Assists in identifying funding sources and preparing of grant proposals.
- Assists in interpreting program goals while monitoring compliance with state, federal and local policies and procedures, regulations and division rules.
- Coordinates and organizes collaborated community-wide task forces to address and assess local needs as they related to health issues.
- Works with subcontractors to ensure grant/program (i.e., Tobacco program) compliance, accurate reporting and program evaluation.
- Attains additional knowledge in the health education field and area to which assigned through reading of health-related information and materials and attends training and educational classes.
- Create and maintain a supportive work environment with other departments and community programs, Public Health divisions, and Public Health leadership on accreditation domain while maintaining a culture of quality improvement.
- Apply basic principles, practices, techniques, teaching, and communication methods related to the age, gender, race/ethnicity, educational level and socioeconomic status of community members.
- Communicate and act in a cultural competent and professional manner maintaining cooperative relationships with community members, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs special assignments as requested.
- Exercise regular and predictable attendance and punctuality in accordance with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- Bachelor's Degree in public health education, or related field.
- One (1) year experience working with the public in the public health education field.
- OR any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities will be considered in meeting the minimum qualifications.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Knowledge of:
- Must possess a valid driver's license for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
- Provide acceptable driving history at no cost to the County.
- Willing to attain additional knowledge in the health education field and area to which assigned through reading of health-related information and materials and attending training and educational classes.
- Health education and/or exercise/sports science, physical assessment and health appraisals, techniques and skills. Some assignments may require specialized knowledge specific to the area of assignment such as exercise/sports science, physical assessment and health appraisals, techniques and skills or tobacco use prevention/education/intervention techniques and skills.
- Principles, practices, and services related to public health and the specific area to which assigned (i.e. tobacco prevention, exercise and sports science, etc.)
- Methods and theory of education, individual and group-process counseling.
- Research, analysis, evaluation and reporting techniques.
- Budgetary and financial procedures, grantsmanship and data processing applications.
- Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulation.
- Effectively operate and utilize of a variety of laboratory equipment and other equipment used in a health service area.
- Effectively operate a variety of office equipment to include: computer keyboard; typewriter; faxes transmittal; and copiers.
- Develop, plan, implement and evaluate community health education and prevention programs.
- Compile and analyze data and prepare reports.
- Effectively assign, train and oversee subordinates.
- Make decisions in accordance with established policies and regulations.
- Understand, interpret and apply pertinent federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations regarding public education/prevention programs to include departmental procedures and requirements.
- Deal with issues and/or situations which may be controversial or sensitive in nature.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with the community, coworkers, supervisor, health professionals and clients.
- Meet the physical requirements of job assignments.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records and documentation.
- Perform the essential functions of the job with our without a reasonable accommodation.
- Comply with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulations.