PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Provides leadership and management for the daily operations of the campus custodial, and laborer services. Directs the activities of personnel engaged in maintenance and operational activities related to custodial services.
% of Time
1. Leadership/Management 35%
2. Strategic Planning 10%
3. University/Community Partnership 15%
4. Functional Oversight Management 40%
LIST OF TASKS FOR EACH MAJOR RESPONSIBILITY:
Acts as a change champion. Builds competence in others through effective coaching, performance management and mentoring. Provides clear direction. Leads courageously by addressing difficult issues. Supports and moves new initiatives forward. Facilitates an environment that motivates, empowers, and inspires commitment from employees. Demonstrates commitment to creating and sustaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. Creates and implements methods for improving individual and team performance. Builds effective teams committed to organizational goals. Fosters collaboration. Creates an environment in which employees are recognized for their accomplishments and contributions to the success of the team. Supports and encourages professional and career development for employees. Understands the university's mission and vision and how the department/division work activities and goals support the mission. Identifies current and future challenges and proposes effective solutions. Determines, effectively allocates, and coordinates resources.
2. STRATEGIC PLANNING:
As a strategic partner, recommends, creates, and implements long and short term strategic plan goals and operational plans for Facility Services. Ensures Facility Services' goals align with and support the overall mission of the university. Motivates and encourages commitment to achievement of strategic plans. Effectively communicates the strategic initiatives. Accomplishes strategic goals for Facility Services.
3. UNIVERSITY/COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIP:
As a member of the campus community, ensures a community focused strategy to support the university's mission. Recognizes the importance of collective strength, knowledge, and information. Builds effective strategic alliances internally and externally. Initiates and develops strong working relationships with community. Demonstrates commitment to diversity. Collaborates with business partners in the achievement of university goals that support the university's mission. Actively solicits and acts upon feedback. Identifies and anticipates community needs. Develops and implements solutions. Successfully negotiates through persuasion. Gains support and commitment from others. Takes the necessary measures to solicit and influence internal and external support.
4. FUNCTIONAL OVERSIGHT/MANAGEMENT:
Oversees the effective management of custodial and laborer services for the Facility Services department. Supervises, coordinates, assigns, and directs the activities of personnel engaged in maintenance and operational activities related to custodial and laborer services. Assists in the formulation, development, interpretation, implementation, and development of policies, procedures, standards, and programs related to custodial/laborer activities. Optimizes safety compliance by providing safety training including IIPP, safe work practices, and updates on new processes, procedures or equipment. Accountable for monitoring supply and material usage and assures that staff have proper equipment and adequate inventory to perform their assigned tasks. Prepares and administers custodial/laborer services budget. Plans, develops, and directs custodial maintenance. Establishes performance criteria and conducts audit procedures to attain systematic results and uniform performance. Conducts quality assurance inspections to ensure that cleaning standards are maintained and the effectiveness of the operation is met. Responsible for documenting employee performance, conducting performance appraisals, counseling and mentoring employees, and provides advocacy and dispute resolution. Approves and schedules employee leave requests and assures that work is assigned and completed. Initiates, closes and maintains work orders within the maintenance management system (AIMS) to assure timely and accurate labor and material reporting.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS:
PURPOSE AND NATURE OF WORK RELATIONSHIPS:
Daily/weekly interaction with campus community leadership and staff and vendors, to persuade, solicit information, provide information and guidance, and resolve problems.
REQUIREMENTS OF POSITION:
1. List education and experience required
• Equivalent to five (5) years of progressively responsible facilities and/or custodial maintenance management work experience, and a minimum of two years leading and/or supervising the work of others; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
i. Bachelor's degree
ii. Work experience in an academic setting, ideally Public Higher Education
iii. Two (2) years' experience in a collective bargaining environment
2. List knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this position
• Leadership / Vision:
• Demonstrated commitment to CSUSM's mission and goals as a student-centered university dedicated to teaching excellence and active learning with a university first perspective and a customer focused strategy.
• Ability to establish a clear and understandable vision for the Facility Services department, engage the university community in the implementation of the vision, and build the operational components to execute the vision
• Ability to lead and enable groups of people to face challenges and achieve results in complex conditions.
• A demonstrated commitment to inclusiveness and access in all areas of the university.
• Management / Conflict Resolution / Problem Resolution / Initiative / Continuous Improvement:
• Successful experience managing a complex organization.
• Experience building and managing an effective world-class team dedicated to organizational goals and high performance.
• Experience with directing, supervising, motivating and inspiring others; measuring the performance of people, teams and organizations, and assessing performance and progress.
• Familiarity with collective bargaining and administering corrective action as appropriate in a collective bargaining environment.
• Ability to develop and support on-going learning and professional development for staff, managers and emerging leaders.
• Ability to lead courageously by addressing difficult issues.
• Ability to initiate and support innovation with creativity, openness to change, flexibility, responsiveness, and future focus.
• Ability to apply quality management techniques of continuous improvement and employee involvement to assess and improve services, promote campus culture and build teams.
• Ability to identify current and future challenges and propose and implement effective solutions.
• Experience making effective decisions with sound analytical ability, good judgment and strong operational focus.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively to a variety of audiences.
• Successful negotiation and persuasion skills.
• Strategic planning / Goal Setting:
• Experience in strategically supporting growth and/or change.
• Experience creating and implementing long and short term goals.
• Experience in determining and coordinating resource allocations.
• Ability to collaborate with multiple entities to plan and accomplish the objectives set forth in the university's strategic master plan, coordinating ongoing multiple large and complex projects from conception to completion in a centralized and highly regulated environment.
• Ability to find solutions that result in prudent decisions, to promote mutual satisfaction and positive action, and to develop imaginative approaches to achieve individual, unit and institutional strategic initiatives.
• Ability to apply forward-thinking and creative thought with high ethical standards to develop strategic vision.
• Teamwork / Collaboration:
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively and build strong alliances internally and externally with a broad range of individuals to bring the University community together around shared goals.
• Functional Area Expertise:
• Demonstrated working knowledge of methods, materials, chemicals and equipment used in custodial/laborer work and safety and sanitation measures appropriate for custodial/laborer work;
• Knowledge of recycling programs, methods and practices;
• Functional knowledge in word processing, spreadsheets and maintenance management systems.
3. List machines, tools, equipment, and motor vehicles used in the performance of the duties
• A variety of mechanical, electrical, and hand tools appropriate to the trades and custodial services.
• Standard office and communication equipment.
4. List unique working conditions
• Occasional overnight travel.
• Occasional weekends and nights to direct operations in emergency situations as needed.
5. Other Employment Requirements
• The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment. Limited Reporter
• This position is subject to a background check including, but not limited to, employment verification, education verification, reference checks and criminal record checks. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
• This position is a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The incumbent in this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission. This position is required to file the Form 700 under disclosure category: 2
• (ref. CSU COI Designated Positions List)
• Must participate in required campus trainings including, but not limited to, CSU's Sexual Misconduct Prevention training; Information Security Awareness Training; and CSU's Discrimination Harassment Prevention Program for Supervisors.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled
San Marcos, California