Description: DIGITAL ACCESSIBILITY SPECIALIST
(Information Technology Consultant - Career Level) Compensation and Benefits
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $$4,372 - $4,900 a month
Full classification Salary Range: $4,372 - $10,792 a month
- This is a full-time, probationary, exempt position.
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here
Technology Services provides administrative information services, core services, and desktop support to the Fresno State community.
Our department consists of a well trained team of individuals dedicated to providing effective technology and quality services and support that are integrated into the daily activities of the entire campus.Job Summary
The Digital Accessibility Specialist will provide a broad variety of services to support digital accessibility at the university. Many of these services will support CSU Accessibility Technology Initiative (ATI) goals and key success indicators. Duties include, but are not limited to, support for website, web application, online document, instructional material, and media accessibility remediation, accessible procurement support, and analysis and reporting needs. The Digital Accessibility Specialist will also provide training and consultation with students, faculty, and staff on topics relating to universal design and accessibility. The incumbent may also support communication and awareness needs within the campus community, vendors, and the CSU system.Major Duties:
The Digital Accessibility Specialist works under general guidance of the Digital Accessibility Coordinator to support the following:
• Assist with manual remediation efforts of campus web pages and digital content to ensure compliance with defined federal, state, and CSU accessibility laws and standards.
• Respond to questions and investigate more complex digital accessibility issues for Fresno State employees creating, managing, editing, or otherwise working with digital content.
• Create and monitor Digital Accessibility service requests to track requests, work/projects completed, and issue resolutions, completing any assigned work in a timely manner.
• Assist the campus Procurement office by testing and providing accessibility reviews of potential acquisitions of digital content and tools.
o Assist with the creation of Equally Effective Alternate Access Plans (EEAAP), as needed.
• Assist with campus digital accessibility training and awareness efforts including, but not limited to:
o Campus captioning resources
o Campus transcription resources
o Accessible email practices
o Remediating electronic documents for campus web sites
o Common web accessibility issues and quick fixes
o Other trainings as assigned
• Ensure any documents and media supported by the Digital Accessibility Office are accessible. Check new PDF, Word document, and other files along with any videos and audio for accessibility compliance. Determine if training or manual remediation is best recourse for files, and address accordingly.
• Assist with the creation of resources/tools.
• Other duties as assignedKey Qualifications Knowledge of:
- Disability law including but not limited to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act (Section 504) and the Web Accessibility Content Guidelines (WCAG).
- Service Management Tools for tracking Incidents, Requests, Problems, and Changes.
- Operating Systems: Apple Macintosh OS 10.x and later versions, Microsoft Windows 10 and later versions. IOS and other applicable tablet operating systems.
- Hardware: Intel PC systems, Apple Macintosh systems, iPad, Surface and other applicable mobile computing devices.
- Desktop management tools for imaging, configuration management and policy enforcement.
- Applications: campus standard applications.
- Connectivity and network administration for fixed wire, and wireless connections.
- Data administration principles and techniques.
- Copyright laws and industry standards.
- Responds well to direction, embraces feedback, and champions change.
- Strong communication skills and interpersonal skills with ability to interact with all levels and roles within an organization.
- Strong fault isolation and problem solving.
- Perform multiple tasks and work according to procedures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills throughout all levels of an organization and with a variety of audiences.
- Strong experience in a customer-service oriented role in a fast-paced environment that is prone to change, preferably in a technology-related area and in higher education.
- Strong characteristics of integrity, excellence, discretion, team-orientation, service-orientation.
- Strong emotional intelligence (awareness of self, self-regulation, ability to bridge styles of others).
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills with ability to engage with different levels.
- Proficient use of standard campus applications, desktops, and laptops.
- Strong organizational and project support skills.
- Ability to work in a busy environment and on one's own initiative, while being self-motivated and flexible.
To view the full list of qualifications and job responsibilities, please click the Position Description button above.Education and Experience
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- One year of experience directly supporting digital accessibility, relating to website or digital content remediation or processes relating to universal access and design.
Deadline & Application Instructions
- D.H.S. Trusted Tester Certification
- High level of energy, drive, enthusiasm, initiative, creativity and commitment.
Applications received by October 3, 2021 will be given full consideration by the search committee. Applications received after that date will be forwarded at the request of the Hiring Manager and/or search committee.
Please click "Apply Now" to complete the employment application for California State University, Fresno. Interested applicants must complete the application and attach the following: 1) their most recent resumé/vitae, 2) a cover letter that addresses their specific qualifications and interest, and 3) contact information for three professional references. Fresno State
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to boldly educate and empower students for success through our values of Discovery, Diversity and Distinction. The current student population is more than 25,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and across the globe.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 527,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley. The campus is within driving distance of Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.Equal Employment Opportunity Information
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Orders 1096 and 1097 prohibit discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Fresno State's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring, and retention. We are proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. Supplemental Information
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with California State University, Fresno. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Fresno State has identified as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" under the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This will require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within six (6) months of assuming office and every two (2) years thereafter.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled