Description: Anticipated Hiring Salary: Low $4,000's/month Salary Schedule:
$3,532 - 6,198
Open until filled. Application Review Begins September 20, 2021. About CSUMB
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement
, California State University, Monterey Bay
(CSUMB) is a mid-sized comprehensive baccalaureate and masters granting university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives through a focus on student success and engagement through project-based learning, service learning in its regional community, and the promotion of multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond campus. CSUMB is both a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) and a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and has a vibrant, diverse student body of over 7,400 students. The university's Strategic Plan
prioritizes inclusive excellence through recruiting and investing in the development of a diverse body of faculty, staff, and administrators. CSUMB's sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral by 2030.
The university's faculty and staff, many of whom live in the East Campus housing development, appreciate living and working so close to the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, CSUMB offers excellent benefits, including access to below market rate campus housing and competitive salaries for faculty and staff. PURPOSE :
Under the general supervision of the Manager, General Accounting & Financial Reporting, the Accounts Payable Travel Technician performs a wide variety of financial record-keeping duties requiring considerable judgment, initiative, and independence. The incumbent has primary responsibility for providing technical support for the University travel function and assists with accounts payable as needed, using a comprehensive knowledge of financial record-keeping methods, procedures, and practices and a basic knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following :
Other Functions :
- Reviews payment requests and invoices prior to vouchering for accuracy and against historical payment information to avoid processing a duplicate payment request. Vouchers travel payment requests. Ensures correct chartstring is used. Audits and reviews documents for accuracy, validity, and adherence to standards and policies. Investigates discrepancies and takes necessary corrective actions, including, but not limited to, research with departmental contacts and training on CSU policies. Audit expense reports; reviews employee's expenses for purposes of compliance with CSU Travel Policy. Ability to interpret and apply CO policy to employee's travel requests for advances and reimbursements. Review travel expenditures booked via Concur for compliance with State mandates.
- Manages competing requests in a fast-paced environment. Communicates established university and systemwide policies and procedures and pertinent state and federal regulations to faculty, staff, and the general public, including those that require extensive interpretation. Composes correspondence regarding travel and other accounting matters, as needed. Provides excellent customer service by building rapport with employees and vendors by providing efficient and friendly service.
- Analyze current processes and modify/document established procedures based on precedent and university procedures and develop new procedures, as necessary.
- Compiles data, creates and maintains complex spreadsheets used in the preparation and generation of financial reports and/or analysis. Creates, troubleshoots, modifies, runs, analyzes and exports queries. Maintains data related to travel advances and repayments.
- Creates journal entries and journal uploads, e.g. . Central Travel Account, Business Travel Account, Procurement Card, Office Supplies, and Use and Sales Tax, etc.
- Assists in reconciling assigned ledger accounts, such as: Travel and Salary Advances and related open items and/or clearing accounts, Travel - Cash Posting Orders (CPOs), Travel Credit Accounts, and Accounts Payable Obligations (State Administrative Manual 18A reconciliation).
- File records, respond to telephone calls and completes miscellaneous office tasks as assigned
- Serves as the first point of contact for Concur travel system
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES : Knowledge:
- Provides backup for the Accounts Payable Department, as needed, to cover absences of A/P staff
- Assists in other areas of the accounting department, including General Ledgers, Accounts Receivable, and Cash, as needed, including cross-training and backfill needed of vacancies, and short-term absences. Is a team player to assure that campus and system-wide accounting deadlines are met.
- Performs other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
Comprehensive knowledge of financial record-keeping, mathematical and general office methods, procedures, and practices; and basic knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Abilities:
Must be able to interpret and apply a wide variety of written rules and regulations; maintain electronic/ paperless accounting records for funds, programs, or activities involving multiple transactions; compile, verify, and reconcile financial data; work independently; make sound decisions and recommendations regarding accounting activities; use current computer word processing and spreadsheet software programs, web browsers, query tools, integrated financial systems and/or other types of records management systems, such as student accounting, cashiering and student financial aid; investigate and resolve errors and discrepancies; and read and interpret computer-generated reports. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS : Experience:
Equivalent to four years of progressively responsible financial record-keeping experience which has provided the above knowledge and abilities. Education:
Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities. SPECIALIZED SKILLS :
Working knowledge of accounting practices. Accounts payable experience working with computerized accounts payable systems. Ability to exercise sound judgment, initiative, and independence to achieve results. Excellent customer service skills. Thorough knowledge of office systems; proficient in Excel and computerized accounting systems. Demonstrated ability to address the essential functions associated with this position including knowledge, skills and abilities identified above. PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS :
Bachelor's degree in business-related field. Four (4) years of accounts payable experience working with computerized accounts payable systems. Experience in an educational or governmental environment. Technical fluency with Microsoft Office Suite; G Suite (Gmail, Docs, Drive, and Calendar); Oracle-PeopleSoft/CMS
baseline system or equivalent financial information system; intranet drives; and internet browsers. SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT & POSITION DESIGNATIONS :
PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT :
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
- The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- This position has been designated as a sensitive position with access to, or control over, cash, checks, credit cards, and/or credit card account information; and access to and responsibility for detailed personally identifiable Level 1 confidential information about students, faculty, staff or alumni that is protected, personal or sensitive as defined in the CSU Information Security Data Classification Standards.
- May require occasional evenings and/or weekend work.
Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. Position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods of time. May require travel between campus offices and off-campus locations. POSITION INFORMATION :
- Type of Appointment: Full-Time, Probationary
- Collective Bargaining Unit: R07-Clerical & Administrative Support Services (CSUEU)
- Anticipated Campus Hiring Salary: Low $4,000's/month
- CSU Salary Range
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, dental & vision plans; a fee waiver education program; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 14 paid holidays a year. For more information, visit: CSU Benefits R09
. Additionally, University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability, visit: Employee Housing. APPLICATION PROCEDURE:
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at csumb.edu/jobs
. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned.
Employees are required to comply with COVID-19 requirements. For the CSUMB's most current masking and vaccination requirements please visit: https://csumb.edu/health/coronavirus-information/. CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting University Personnel at (831) 582-3389. All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S. GENERAL INFORMATION:
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the Cal State University, Monterey Bay Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at https://csumb.edu/clery. Employees are required to comply with COVID-19 requirements. For the CSUMB's most current masking and vaccination requirements please visit: https://csumb.edu/health/coronavirus-information/ .
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms and strive to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion. We consider qualified applicants for employment for their anticipated contributions and without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled