At CSUN we aspire to continually grow as an inclusive, cooperative community!
CSUN strives to be a destination workplace, where everyone understands that they belong to a community that is vital in advancing student success and providing exemplary service to all stakeholders. We foster an environment of success, both for our students and our employees. We have a relentless passion for celebrating diversity, equity, and inclusion as well as being an employer of choice. You will also have the opportunity to realize your own personal goals and be recognized for the work you do and enjoy the unique value the CSUN community can offer. As a leader you will have the opportunity to thrive in a community in which our leaders share common traits as identified in our Leadership Principles https://www.csun.edu/leadership-principles. If this sounds like you, you've come to the right place.
Under the direction of the Director, Engineering Services, the Assistant Director, Engineering Services is responsible for Campus-wide building renovation and oversight; the day to day operations of the Plumbing Shop, Lock Shop (building security and access control), the Paint Shop and building trades' projects. The incumbent assists the Director with planning and development to assure efficient and effective processes and procedures to meet the goals and objectives of PPM.
• Assists the Director in development and monitoring of all trades programmed maintenance routines and frequencies.
• Assists the Director in development and monitoring of major service contracts and outside service providers engaged in programmed maintenance of campus wide systems.
• This position coordinates and performs facility and equipment audits, analyzes deferred maintenance, programmed maintenance and equipment status to recommend areas of need.
• As a leader, demonstrates a commitment to student success that is mission aligned with the university's vision, values and priorities. Establishes an ethical and collegial work environment, promoting a collaborative, accountable and inclusive team. Encourages a courageous and resilient solution-oriented environment by participating in new opportunities to further the mission of the university. Participates in developing initiatives that further support the campus mission with a service-oriented and catalytic mind set. Strengthens employees by being communicative and a talent builder that develops team attributes, furthering departmental goals.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
'NOTE: To view the full position description including all of the required qualifications copy and paste this link into your browser: https://bit.ly/3ylm9gA
• Equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a Bachelor's degree in a Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management, Facilities Management, Physical Sciences, Engineering Technology or related field.
• Equivalent to five years of progressively responsible professional/administrative experience; with 2 of the five years in a managerial role preferred.
• Trade apprenticeship, facilities ICC or other certifications, Project Management Professional (PMP) certification and/or California Commercial Building Inspection combined with Mechanical Electrical Plumbing (MEP) certifications and/or related Municipal certifications, are preferred. A contractor's license in electrical, carpentry, plumbing or general engineering may also be considered.
• A background in plant engineering or facilities management in higher education is desirable.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Leadership
• Knowledge of principles and practices of facility maintenance including access control, automotive, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, HVAC, tenant improvement projects, and architectural finishes; methods, materials, tools and equipment used in building maintenance; construction/renovation project management practices; principles and practices of supervision including selection, training, evaluation, work planning, direction and personnel practices.
• Knowledge of applicable laws, codes, regulations and standards governing building construction and maintenance; Progen, Prolog, MS Office, project management, JOC or CMMS programs; safety and safe working practices for building maintenance.
• Skill in planning, organizing, scheduling, assigning and reviewing the work of others; selecting, training, instructing, appraising, counseling and motivating assigned staff.
• Maintaining records and preparing reports and correspondence including required regulatory reports and records.
• Verbal and written communication to effectively interact with a broad range of people including staff, senior management, executives, vendors and contractors.
• Evaluating and developing procedures, standards and methods for building maintenance, repair and improvement. Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers, faculty, staff, students and university administrators.
• Reading, interpreting and assisting in the preparation of scopes of work, plans, specifications and other documents related to maintenance and construction projects. Exercising sound independent judgment within general policy guidelines. Effective customer service in an academic or institutional environment.
• Lead diverse teams to support the operational mission and vision of employers by fostering an ethical, inclusive and collegial work environment.
• Demonstrated ability to support ongoing improvement through courageous, resilient, and catalytic leadership.
• Lead varying initiatives through a collaborative, service-oriented and communicative approach.
• Demonstrated commitment to employee development, recognition, and accountability to further operational goals.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
• Salary is commensurate with knowledge, skills, and experience. The University offers excellent fringe benefits.
• The anticipated HIRING RANGE: $90,000 - $100,000, dependent upon qualifications and experience.
• This position is a sensitive position as designated by the CSU.
• A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
• The person holding this position may be considered a 'limited reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
• Candidates should apply by completing the CSUN on-line application. To submit an application and for more detailed information on the application and hiring process, please visit this link: www.csun.edu/careers
• Applications received through September 22, 2021 will be considered in the initial review and review of applications will continue until position is filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity
CSUN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, and disability. Our nondiscrimination policy is set forth in CSU Executive Order 1096. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Recruitment Services at 818-677-2101.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled
Los Angeles, California