POSITION SUMMARY: The Human Resources "Faculty" Employment Coordinator will provide day-to-day operational, recruiting and employment transaction and process support for the following academic personnel: Tenure/Tenure Track, Temporary and Extended Services Faculty, Coaches, and Instructional Student Assistants.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested parties should submit the Cal Maritime Employment Application, a cover letter and resume. Apply on-line at http://www.csum.edu/web/hr/careers.
ABOUT THE CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY MARITIME ACADEMY:
Established in 1929, California State University Maritime Academy, a campus of the California State University, is the only degree-granting maritime academy on the West Coast. Located on a scenic waterfront site in Vallejo, the campus serves a student population of approximately 1100 undergraduates and 50 graduate students. The campus currently offers undergraduate degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Facilities Engineering Technology, Marine Engineering Technology, Marine Transportation, Global and Maritime Studies, and Business Administration. A master's degree in Transportation and Engineering Management is offered as well as a number of extended learning programs and courses.
Academic Faculty (Tenured/Tenure Track, Temporary Faculty and Coaches), Extended Services Faculty Employment Support
• Supports recruitment and hiring processes for the above-named personnel
• Prepares and sends offer letters (when directed) by the HR Faculty Analyst III
• Prepares and sends rejection letters.
• Supports faculty range elevation and entitlement research
• Supports faculty exit/termination processes
• Updates websites with Faculty information
Instructional Student Assistant Employment Support
• Posts jobs on the Instructional student employment website
• Receives, reviews, and verifies employment hiring documents and inputs student employment transactions into PeopleSoft.
• Verifies federal work-study status, coordinates with internal staff or Financial Aid Office.
Faculty Recruitment, Hiring and Onboarding
• Creates job bulletins.
• Assists with posting and advertising jobs per HR Faculty Analyst III instructions.
• Assists HR Faculty Analyst III with Selection Committee communications.
PeopleSoft Data Entry
• Inputs personnel transactions for Faculty and Instructional Student Assistants, Emergency Hires and Temporary Appointment extensions.
• Provides backup for other data entry as necessary.
• Performs PeopleSoft maintenance including data clean up.
• Participates in PeopleSoft database testing and upgrades.
• Assists with monthly reports for Campus and Chancellor Office Reports
Preboarding and Onboarding
• Assists with post-offer activities to include but not limited to downloading, organizing, and reviewing employment documents.
• Coordinates preparation of employee files.
• Processes and tracks I-9s.
• Initiates, tracks, and reviews backgrounds and fingerprinting.
Special Projects and Miscellaneous
• CHRS Recruiting project assistance and training support.
• CHRS Wave 2 project assistance.
• Temporary Faculty Data Entry and Spreadsheet data entry
• A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training and administrative work experience.
• Working knowledge of and ability to apply human resources theories, principles, concepts, and practices.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality while performing work of a highly sensitive nature.
• Ability to learn, interpret, and apply a wide variety of policies and procedures relating to and impacting Human Resources and Academic Personnel.
• Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within and outside the work group and serve as a liaison for the organizational unit.
• Knowledge of and the ability to apply basic methods and procedures used for research and statistical analysis.
• Ability to troubleshoot most office administrative problems, make independent decisions, exercise sound judgment, handle multiple priorities, and organize and plan work assignments.
• Ability to compile, write, and present reports related to program or administrative specialty.
• Proficient experience using MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook; and Adobe Acrobat) at a level that demonstrates organizational skills to coordinate large volumes of work and establish priorities.
• General knowledge and skills to use basic office equipment (PC (networked and stand-alone), scanner, laser printers, photocopiers, voicemail, and fax
• Possess advanced problem solving and analytical skills
• Skills to work on projects with competing deadlines; flexibility in dealing with people and competing demands; skills to pay close attention to detail.
• Interpersonal and oral communication skills to communicate in person and on the telephone; skills to handle sensitive or difficult situations diplomatically, and to work with individuals from diverse cultural and professional backgrounds.
• PeopleSoft experience
• PageUp experience
• Knowledge of Academic Personnel recruitment, hiring and Onboarding processes
• Higher education experience
• Ability to draft guidelines and procedures
• Knowledge of CSU, university, and college-wide human resource and personnel management policies and procedures
PHYSICAL, MENTAL and ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Involves mainly sitting; walking and standing is minimal; involves lifting lightweight objects limited to 15 pounds.
BACKGROUND CHECK: Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
MANDATED REPORTER: The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
ELIGIBILITY TO WORK: Applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship or authorization to work in the United States within three days of the date of hire.
TITLE IX: Please view the Notice of Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator at: https://www2.calstate.edu/titleix
EEO STATEMENT: Cal Maritime is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The university subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable Accommodations will be provided to applicants with qualifying disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Benefits Coordinator at
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled