Description: Working Title
Senior Business AnalystSF State University
San Francisco State is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Senior Human Resources Manager.
Applicants may visit titleix.sfsu.edu for more information on SF State's policy prohibiting discrimination, and how to file an online report using the procedures under Executive Order 1096 Revised. Inquiries can be directed to the campus Title IX Coordinator and Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation Administrator by calling (415) 338-2032 or emailing email@example.com.
San Francisco State is a 100% Smoke/Vapor-Free Campus. Smoking or Vaping of any tobacco/plant-based substance is not permitted on any University properties.
The person holding this position may be considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position may be required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.Department
Office of Student Financial AidAppointment Type
This is a one-year probationary position.Time Base
Full-Time (1.0)Work Schedule
Monday through Friday; from 8:00am to 5:00pmAnticipated Hiring Range
$4,693 per month ($56,316 annually)
Salary is commensurate with experience.Position Summary
Reporting to the Director of Financial Aid, the Senior Business Analyst is a subject matter expert who understands the business processes and functional needs of the Financial Aid Module users, as well as the configuration, regular use, and data structures of their assigned PeopleSoft module. The incumbent is the primary liaison between Information Technology Services (ITS), the Office of Student Financial Aid, and Common Management System (CMS) team in the Chancellor's Office. The incumbent is responsible for setting up the PeopleSoft Financial Aid Module configuration, coordinating testing and support, escalating technical issues, and submitting change requests to the appropriate channels. The incumbent also assists in training end-users as needed.
The Senior Business Analyst assists with ensuring efficient and timely delivery of financial aid funds to students. The Senior Budget Analyst ensures compliance with reporting requirements and with technical directives provided by the Department of Education, Chancellor's Office, and the campus Information Technology department. The Senior Business Analyst must lead design sessions and aid in implementation of automated enhancements. Provides maintenance of automated systems. Responsible for training and documentation of automated system. In addition to working within the Financial Aid PeopleSoft module, the incumbent may also work with other computer applications such as Webgrants through the California Student Aid Commission, NSLDS, COD, and FAA through the Department of Education, these systems are used by the department to process financial aid to future and current SF State students regarding financial aid. As a subject matter expert, the incumbent assists the departmental management team in coordinating efforts to integrate the use of these systems by various units across SF State. Position Information
Functional Business Analyst
- Perform daily systems operations related to the assigned PeopleSoft Module, including but not limited to batch data processing, 3C's, and other data related activities;
- Perform data analysis and business process mapping in collaboration with functional users and other department resources; and develop documentation of these analyses on an ongoing basis;
- Serve as an internal consultant to functional users in matters pertaining to the PeopleSoft Financial Aid Module;
- Responsible for the thorough and timely testing of processes in the assigned module, as required by regular and ad hoc system maintenance updates;
- Develop and recommend policies and procedures designed to increase end user accuracy, efficiency, and effectiveness of systems to functional users and managers;
- Assist in identifying and analyzing module-related problems, and devising solutions;
- Collaborate with the Information Technology Services (ITS) team and PeopleSoft Security Administrators to coordinate PeopleSoft security and access needs for users in the PeopleSoft Financial Aid Module;
- Work closely with functional users and the CMS team in solving systems-related problems and in coordinating systems support for PeopleSoft Financial Aid Module and in working on other CSU system-wide projects related to student financial aid; and
- Maintain currency of knowledge in PeopleSoft Financial Aid Module and other enrollment-related functions, as needed, by attending online or in-person training sessions, participating in teleconferences, or actively engaging with the virtual community of Higher Education Users Group of PeopleSoft.
- Using a high degree of judgment and professional skill, regarding complex personal, academic and financial issues that affect academic success and continuing eligibility for funds; make referrals to Director to provide in-depth support on these issues and assist in compiling data and report information to coordinate any action on behalf of the Financial Aid Department with other Student Services departments;
- Compile factual and interpretative information on application income, household size and marital status. Identify unusual and complex circumstances to assist Director in establishing Office of Student Financial Aid policies to ensure and maintain equity in awarding;
- Interpret and apply broad knowledge of Federal, State, and institutional financial aid administration policy to package and administer aid to eligible applicants.
Provide in person assistance in the One Stop, by phone/email and at campus-wide events and activities
- Provide student and parent in-person contact at the One Stop Student Services Center, answering telephone calls, and responding to email inquiries.
- Problem solve to ensure that students are being accurately awarded and receiving their financial aid funds in a timely manner.
- Be available during evenings and weekends, as requested, to represent financial aid at campus recruitment, retention and outreach events and programs.
Other duties as assigned.Minimum Qualifications
Entry to this classification requires general knowledge and skills in the applicable administrative and/or program field with a foundational knowledge of public administration principles, practices, and methods. This foundation would normally be obtained through a bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training and administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs.
- Thorough knowledge of and ability to apply extensive expertise to complex programs and/or administrative
- specialties, including pertinent laws and regulations.
- Demonstrated expertise in and advanced knowledge of the principles, problems, and methods of public and
- business administration and operational and fiscal management.
- Expertise in administrative survey techniques, operations and systems analysis, statistical and research
- methods, and the ability to interpret and evaluate results to develop sound conclusions and recommend new
- or revised policies.
- Ability to understand problems from a broad, interactive perspective and discern applicable underlying principles to conceive of and develop strategic solutions.
- Ability to work with representatives from public and private entities and handle potentially sensitive situations.
- Demonstrated consultative skills in working with internal and external constituent groups.
- Ability to effectively present ideas and concepts in written or presentation format and use consultative and
- facilitation skills to gain consensus.
- Relevant Student Information Systems experience using PeopleSoft Financial Aid Module, or a similar system; and experience configuring, supporting and developing PeopleSoft applications;
- Experience working with and knowledge of Campus Solutions (CS) business processes;
- Experience in creating business process guides and training materials;
- Knowledge of relational databases and strong data analysis, problem solving and troubleshooting skills;
- Strong internal initiative with the ability to independently complete, review and report on work tasks, and the capacity for self-direction and self-correction;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and experience determining priorities effectively while adhering to deadlines;
- Excellent meeting facilitation and presentation skills;
- Project management experience
Repetitive wrist/finger motions with use of a computer. Computer usage for extended periods of time. Ability to sit for extended periods of time. Ability to conduct business at other offices on campus. Ability to lift up to 20 pounds occasionally. Must be able to competently interact with a culturally and ethnically diverse population of students, faculty and staff.Pre-Employment Requirements
This position requires the successful completion of a background check.Eligibility to Work
Applicants must be able to provide proof of US Citizenship or authorization to work in the United States, within three business days from their date of hire.Benefits
Threaded through our Total Compensation package is a commitment to Bridging Life's Transitions. SF State is committed to providing our employees with a comprehensive program that rewards efforts that are appreciated by your colleagues, students and the customers we serve.
We offer a competitive compensation package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Pension, 401k, Healthcare Savings Account, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Vacation and Sick Leave as well as State Holidays and a dynamic Fee Waiver program, all geared towards the University's commitment to attract, motivate and retain our employee.Additional Information
SF STATE IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS).
The Human Resources office is open Mondays through Fridays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and can be reached at (415) 338-1872.
Please note that this position, position requirements, application deadline and/or any other component of this position is subject to change or cancellation at any time.
Closing Date/Time: August 25, 2022