DEPARTMENT OF STUDENT HEALTH SERVICES
TEMPORARY COUNSELOR - CRUISE (JC: 3072)
APPROXIMATE START DATE(S)
Cruise 1, second half: June 20-23 (approximately) - Mid July 2021
(Assignment Considerations: One 2-month or two 1-month positions)
Student Health Services at the California Maritime Academy invites applications for full-time temporary Counselors aboard the Training Ship Golden Bear for the 2021 annual training cruise. Applicants expecting to be considered for this position must complete their online application and submit requested materials to Human Resource by close of business day on April 26, 2021 to receive priority consideration for the position. All qualified applicants will be considered. This position will remain open until filled
CRUISE PERIOD: Students are given intensive industry training aboard the TRAINING SHIP GOLDEN BEAR under the direct supervision of licensed faculty. First-year students perform elementary tasks, while third-year students perform all the duties required of a merchant engineering officer - from loading the ship's cargo of provisions and lighting of the plant, to navigating and providing power for the ship. Grades are assigned by faculty members based on actual performance, professionalism and aptitude for life at sea as a licensed officer.
ABOUT CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY MARITIME ACADEMY (Cal Maritime): Located on a compact but scenic waterfront campus in Vallejo, California (30 miles northeast of San Francisco), California State University Maritime Academy (Cal Maritime) is a unique and specialized campus of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system. Serving a population of approximately 1100 undergraduate and 50 graduate students, we are one of only seven degree-granting maritime academies in the United States - and the only one on the West Coast. Cal Maritime offers six baccalaureate degrees in Business Administration, Global Studies and Maritime Affairs (GSMA), Facilities Engineering Technology, Marine Engineering Technology, Mechanical Engineering, and Marine Transportation. The undergraduate curriculum includes licensing programs for future merchant marine, coast guard and naval reserve officers. Cal Maritime also offers a Master of Science in Transportation and Engineering Management degree. For more information about California State University Maritime Academy, please visit our website by clicking here: California State University Maritime Academy .
Our programs focus on intellectual learning, applied technology, leadership development, and global awareness. Cal Maritime students participate in training cruises aboard the Training Ship Golden Bear or other international educational experiences - gaining a unique perspective on our increasingly global culture and economy. Cal Maritime is committed to being a leading educational institution recognized for excellence in the business, engineering, operations, security and policy of the transportation industries of the Pacific Rim and beyond. We are equally committed to hiring and retaining diverse and dedicated faculty and staff who lead the way in helping our students expand their knowledge and potential.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Under general direction from the Chief Medical Officer aboard the Training Ship Golden Bear as well as the Director of Student Health Services and campus psychologist, the Counselor is responsible for coordinating, implementing, and evaluating mental health care for voyage participants. The position specifically:
• Provides high quality individual and group counseling services to participants (students, faculty, and staff) who may be experiencing psychological, behavioral, or learning difficulties
• Provides curriculum-based outreach programs, consisting of workshops and presentations, focused on the developmental needs of college students to maximize the potential of students to benefit from the academic environment and experience. This particularly includes substance use prevention and resilience training
• Contributes to a mental health needs assessment of the community of students and crew at sea. This may include the administration and data collection of psychosocial measures
• Provides consultative services to the faculty and staff to help foster an environment supportive of the intellectual, emotional, spiritual, and physical development of students
• Provides clinical assessment services to identify student needs and appropriate services and referrals
• Serves on-call for consultation while in port for situations that need attention and crisis management
• Reports to the Chief Medical Officer and is a member of the Medical Team
• Participates in a consultation session via conference call prior to departure and following cruise
• At least 3 years of experience as a staff member or administrator in counseling services
• Experience working with issues pertinent to a diverse student population with a broad spectrum of psychological issues and experience or knowledge with working with high-risk clients
• Detail-oriented, with the ability to balance multiple priorities in a complex and dynamic environment
• Demonstrated ability to provide effective crisis intervention
• Demonstrated effectiveness in counseling people from diverse backgrounds and identities, including ethnicity/race, gender, sexual preference, disabilities, religion, socio-economic status, age, and others.
• Demonstrated ability to implement outreach programs and provide consultation
• Knowledge of applicable laws and ethics pertaining to mental health counseling
• Excellent written and oral communication skills; strong planning and organizational skills
• Ability to collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team of healthcare providers as well as academic and ship leaders
• Flexibility, efficiency, and productivity
• Ability to work with electronic health records
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, EDUCATION:
• Possession of an appropriate terminal degree in behavioral sciences, counseling, psychology or a related academic field
• Hold state licensure in good standing as a Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist, Professional Counselor or as a Clinical Social Worker
• Possess professional practice liability insurance
• Experience as a staff member or administrator in counseling services in higher education
• Experience with the development of prevention and wellness programs suitable for college campuses
• Experience with alcohol and other drug abuse prevention and treatment
• Experience with community-based research and community health needs assessment data collection
• Sea-going experience beneficial
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
• A 14-day quarantine period may be required to be conducted on campus.
• Work site aboard the training ship requires climbing up and down ship ladders and gangway; lifting and carrying material from pier to training ship, and occasional work in excess heat, cold, dampness or dry atmospheric conditions.
• All cruise employees should be capable of living and working in cramped spaces on rolling vessels, maintaining balance on a moving deck. The work environment aboard the training ship requires climbing steep stairs, ladders, or a gangway without assistance; lifting and carrying material from pier to training ship; and occasional work in hot, cold, damp, or dry atmospheric conditions. Extended workdays are common.
SALARY COMPENSATION: Salary is commensurate with the education, qualifications and experience of the individual.
BENEFITS: An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available for "qualifying" positions which includes medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurances, retirement plans, fee waiver, vacation and sick leave.
• The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
ELIGIBILITY TO WORK:
• A pre-employment physical is required as are subsequent USCG fitness physicals prior to each training cruise. The incumbent must participate in a random drug-screening program as required by federal law.
• Applicants must provide proof of US citizenship or authorization to work in the United States within three days from the date of hire.
• A background check investigation (including criminal records check) is required prior to employment. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
• Applicants must submit on hire official documentation as proof of degree, license, or certificates as required.
• Ability to obtain prior to cruise: Transportation Worker Identification Card: USCG Merchant Mariner Credential; Passport.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Interested parties must submit the Cal Maritime Employment Application packet of information requested below. Apply on-line at Cal Maritime Faculty Listings
1. Cal Maritime on-line Employment Application (required)
2. Letter of interest (including availability and preferred employment dates)
3. Curriculum vitae
4. Copy of appropriate license
5. Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references
TITLE IX: Please view the Notice of Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator at on the CSU Title IX website.
EEO STATEMENT: Cal Maritime is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The university subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable Accommodations will be provided to applicants with qualifying disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Benefits Coordinator at (707) 654-1146.
DISCLAIMER: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or changed.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled