POSITION SUMMARY: Accounting provides financial services to the campus, students and staff, its auxiliaries, and independent operations. Under the direction of the Lead - Student Financials and the Accounting Manager, the Student and Travel Accountant performs a variety of customer service and bookkeeping tasks, with emphasis on internal campus activities relating to student accounts, cashiering and travel coordinator functions.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested parties should submit the Cal Maritime Employment Application, a cover letter and resume. Apply on-line at http://www.csum.edu/web/hr/careers.
ABOUT THE CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY MARITIME ACADEMY:
Established in 1929, California State University Maritime Academy, a campus of the California State University, is the only degree-granting maritime academy on the West Coast. Located on a scenic waterfront site in Vallejo, the campus serves a student population of approximately 1100 undergraduates and 50 graduate students. The campus currently offers undergraduate degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Facilities Engineering Technology, Marine Engineering Technology, Marine Transportation, Global and Maritime Studies, and Business Administration. A master's degree in Transportation and Engineering Management is offered as well as a number of extended learning programs and courses.
Student Fees Accounts Receivable
• The incumbent is responsible for all aspects of campus student accounts receivable. Typical duties will include monitoring outstanding student fees; communicating and working closely with students and parents to request and offer installment payment plans; placing and updating service indicators on students, employee and third-party sponsor accounts; generating 1098T- file for IRS submission and processing; and work with and understand different accounting subsystems (Student Financials, PS Financials, One Card, ECSI).
Billing and Collections
• Assist with new term setup in PeopleSoft-Student Financials and with generating invoices.
• Prepare and issue 30, 60 and 90-day notices to delinquent parties according to campus policy.
• Submit delinquent accounts to Franchise Tax Board for annual tax offset reporting and ensure proper/timely application of FTB payments onto students' accounts.
• Refer and assign uncollectible accounts over to campus collection agency.
Account Reconciliations and Analysis
• Prepare and post journal entries necessary for proper month end close and reconciliation between the sub ledger and the general ledger.
• Perform monthly reconciliation of accounts including but not limited to Account 103001 Employee Reimbursement, 103004 Student AR, 103007 Corporate AR,103907 Apply AR Payments
• and 250912 Uncleared AR.
• For year-end processing, review receivables that have remained unpaid after a period of one year (>365 days) for booking an entry to offset the appropriate revenue account and crediting an Allowance for Uncollectible Accounts for year-end.
• Submit an entry for account balances that are past dues for less than 365 days which should also be reserved if there is a reasonable doubt that the amount is uncollectible.
Concur Travel Coordinator Responsibilities
• Prepare Concur Travel training materials and schedules utilizing the most effective tools/resources.
• Provide training to campus departments and new hires.
• Assist with the issuance and maintenance of individual travel cards.
• Respond to inquiries and issues related to Concur Travel System.
• Follow-up, track and create monthly reports for all submitted and outstanding requests and claims.
• Coordinate updates to campus configuration and with any system related issues with Sacramento and/or San Francisco State campus.
• Attend Concur Travel Leads and CBT meetings and trainings and keep abreast of new releases and modifications.
• Maintain the Delegation of Authority (DOA) in CFS for all funds.
• Coordinate with other departments the timely completion of the DOA forms.
• Analyze and reconcile monthly travel expenditures and follow up with pending/outstanding requests
• Functions as back up cashier including receiving payments and distributing checks, performing end-of-day balancing and depositing funds, issuing parking permits and assessing late fees.
• In the absence of the regular Cashier, opens and closes Cashier's Office to prepare for daily processing.
Systems and Website Maintenance
• Participate in system upgrades patches and fixes including, but not limited to, setup, system testing and output analysis. Assist with troubleshooting system problems and issues specifically with PS Campus Solutions - Student Financials, CashNet, and Concur Travel System.
• Assist with the maintenance and updates to the sections pertaining to Student Financials and Concur Travel posted on the Cal Maritime website. Provide accurate and current information and processes that are efficient and easy to understand and use.
• Equivalent to a bachelor's degree with a major in accounting, business administration, finance or a closely related field OR a combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities.
• General knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); office methods and procedures; statistical and mathematical presentation of data; advanced proficiency with current word processing and spreadsheet software programs, web browsers, query tools, integrated financial systems and/or other types of records management systems.
• Ability to interpret and follow instructions and policy guidelines; analyze financial and statistical data and draw conclusions; utilize problem solving techniques; establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; and communicate effectively with others inside and outside the unit, including conveying technical information to non-Accountants.
• General knowledge of governmental financial record-keeping methods in an educational environment.
• PeopleSoft experience and Travel Application
• General knowledge of financial aid disbursements and return of Title IV funds
• Cash Receipt Application such as CashNet, Touch Net, etc....
PHYSICAL, MENTAL and ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Involves mainly sitting; walking and standing is minimal; involves lifting lightweight objects limited to 15 pounds.
HOURS of WORK/TRAVEL: Occasional travel required for training.
BACKGROUND CHECK: Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check and fingerprinting) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
ELIGIBILITY TO WORK: Applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship or authorization to work in the United States within three days of the date of hire.
TITLE IX: Please view the Notice of Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator at: https://www2.calstate.edu/titleix
EEO STATEMENT: Cal Maritime is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The university subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable Accommodations will be provided to applicants with qualifying disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Benefits Coordinator at
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled