CSUN strives to be a destination workplace, where everyone understands that they belong to a community that is vital in advancing student success and providing exemplary service to all stakeholders. We foster an environment of success, both for our students and our employees. We have a relentless passion for celebrating diversity, equity, and inclusion as well as being an employer of choice. You will also have the opportunity to realize your own personal goals and be recognized for the work you do, and enjoy the unique value the CSUN community can offer. If this sounds like you, you've come to the right place. Learn more: https://www.csun.edu/about-csun.
Under general supervision, the Plumber works with a crew and independently to perform the full range of skilled plumbing related tasks for campus facilities and infrastructure. The incumbent is responsible for troubleshooting and the maintenance of automated plumbing systems, campus swimming pools, lab utilities and fixtures for water, gas, oil, steam, sewage, fire sprinkler/prevention and refrigeration plumbing systems.
• Performs work in accordance with all safety regulations and codes and may train and direct unskilled assistants.
• Provides customer service to the campus community.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
*NOTE: To view the full position description including all of the required qualifications copy and paste this link into your browser: https://bit.ly/3sdxbD4
• Progressively responsible training and experience which demonstrates achievement journey-level skills equivalent to that acquired through completion of a standard plumber's apprenticeship program.
• LICENSE: CANDIDATE MUST POSSESS A VALID CALIFORNIA DRIVER'S LICENSE.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Thorough knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the plumbing trade; a base understanding of the operation of building automation systems; and a thorough knowledge of applicable state and federal health and safety orders and regulations pertaining to the plumbing trade, including the California State Safety Orders of the Division of Industrial Safety and the California State Plumbing codes.
• Ability and specialized skills to: operate equipment threader, soldering tools, basic plumbing hand tools, cut off saw (abrasive), automatic pipe sander, pick-up truck, electric cart, and fork lift; perform skilled plumbing work on all applicable equipment and systems; perform applicable soldering work; obtain necessary backflow prevention license.
• Ability to make rough sketches of plumbing installations; read and work from blueprints, plans, drawings and specifications; estimate materials and labor cost of standard plumbing maintenance and repair work; maintain records and retrieve data related to work performed using manual and/or computerized record-keeping systems.
• Provide instruction to unskilled and semi-skilled assistants; analyze and respond appropriately to emergency situations; prepare standard reports; read and write at the level appropriate to the position; and perform arithmetic calculations as required by the position.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
• The university offers an excellent benefits package, including but not limited to: medical, dental, vision, retirement & savings, tuition waiver and more.
• Classification: 6549 / Plumber
• The anticipated HIRING RATE is $5742 per month. The salary range for this classification is: $5742 -$7414 per month.
• HOURS: Full Time; 40 hours per week; 7:00am - 3:30pm, Monday through Friday.
• REG: This is a Regular position with a one-year probationary period.
• Applications received through August 30, 2021 will be considered in the initial review and review of applications will continue until position is filled.
• This position is a sensitive position as designated by the CSU.
• A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
• The person holding this position may be considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
• Candidates should apply by completing the CSUN on-line application. To submit an application and for more detailed information on the application and hiring process, please visit this link: www.csun.edu/careers
Equal Employment Opportunity
CSUN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, and disability. Our nondiscrimination policy is set forth in CSU Executive Order 1096. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Recruitment Services at 818-677-2101.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled
Los Angeles, California