Description: Job Summary
Under the direction of the Department Chair, this position provides administrative support for the department including, but not limited to, handling student-related issues, providing budget assistance and administrative support for the faculty, department administrative staff, technical staff, department scheduler, and department chair. This position works as part of a larger team consisting of the Dean, Associate Deans, and Dean's Office administrative support staff. It is essential that the person in this position provide a welcoming and helpful environment for those visiting the department office. This position is critical to student success as it provides procedural knowledge, support and direction to Cal Poly students in matters pertaining to the department and university. Department Summary
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry is an academic unit within the College of Science and Mathematics. The department has approximately 350 undergraduate students in two academic programs leading the Bachelor of Science degrees in Chemistry and in Biochemistry, a concentration in Polymers and Coatings, and a minor degree program in Biotechnology. The department is a major service department, offering courses to satisfy chemistry requirements in other academic majors and to meet General Education and Breadth requirements for all Cal Poly students serving over 2,500 non-majors annually. The department is comprised of a Department Chair, 45 Faculty, 3 Part-Time Faculty, 1 Equipment Technician, 5 Instrumentation Support Technicians in support of the laboratory classrooms, and 2 administrative support positions, and an average of 150 Instructional Student Assistants and 60 Student Assistants annually. Key Qualifications
Education and Experience
- Ability to exercise a positive, friendly, and professional customer service approach at all times on the telephone, electronic communications (email) and in person. Ability to interact, communicate, and maintain confidentiality in an effective manner, as well as establish and maintain professional and cooperative working relationships with a diverse population.
- Demonstrated ability to independently and effectively multi-task and handle detailed procedures while professionally accommodating a fast-paced work environment with frequent interruptions. Ability to adapt to a flexible schedule moving from one assignment to another as the need arises and determine when matters are of an immediate nature.
- General working knowledge of or the ability to quickly learn all the appropriate Federal, State, College, and Department policies, procedures, regulations and precedents. Ability to interpret, develop, communicate and implement or apply a wide variety of processes and requests with independence under varied and complex circumstances.
- Working knowledge of standard office software packages, email, and electronic calendaring systems. Ability to independently learn and use various applications such as PeopleSoft, PolyData Dashboard, Outlook, OneDrive, Google Docs, Drupal, Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, Zoom, and My Cal Poly Portal. Ability to instruct faculty and students in the use of these applications.
- Ability to effectively communicate policies and procedures to staff, students, and the general public, in both oral and written form while maintaining a pleasant and professional demeanor.
- High School diploma or equivalent. Three years general office support experience. Training in a vocational school or full-time college education may be substituted for two years of the required experience on the basis of one year of college education for 6 months experience.
Anticipated Hiring Range: $36,000 - $44,400 annually
Classification Range: $34,944 - $55,104 annually Cal Poly
Known for its Learn by Doing pedagogy, Cal Poly is the flagship of the world-renowned California State University system. Annually recognized as one of the top public universities in the nation, Cal Poly continues to offer an academic curriculum based on learned experience gained through real-world practice. Located in San Luis Obispo, Cal Poly is nestled comfortably among the coastal foothills, minutes from the Pacific Ocean and equidistant to the Bay Area and Los Angeles.
Cal Poly offers a best-in-class benefits program, including health, dental and vision insurance, retirement participation in the Public Employees' Retirement System, and educational benefits for eligible employees. See our benefits website
for additional information. Diversity Statement
At Cal Poly, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly's values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.
Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. Cal Poly is an equal opportunity employer. Supplemental Information
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/
and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with Cal Poly. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Cal Poly has designated as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be "Designated" under California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This would require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within 6 months of assuming office and every 2 years thereafter.
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo is not a sponsoring agency for staff positions (i.e. H-1B visas). Positions are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled