Description: Job Summary
The Director of Procurement, reporting to the Assistant Vice President (AVP) for Strategic Business Services, is responsible for the strategic vision, leadership, planning, and administration of the purchasing and materials management functions for the entire university. The Director of Procurement oversees the Procurement Services area and staff, and supports the Procure-to-Pay process. Department Summary
Strategic Business Services (SBS) provides leadership in the areas of contracting, purchasing, enterprise risk management and real estate. SBS is situated to deliver strategic support for Cal Poly's growing suite of entrepreneurial initiatives including public-private partnerships, off-campus real estate dealings, on-campus commercial and research activity as well as various collaborative/strategic purchasing efforts with public and private partners. Strategic Business Services (SBS) is responsible for managing approximately $200 million in annual University purchasing and contracting. Procurement Services, under the umbrella of SBS, works to maximize the financial resources of the University by obtaining the best value for goods and contracted services. Key Qualifications
Education and Experience
- Extensive managerial-level experience in strategic procurement and contract management.
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills, including the capacity to foster constructive outcomes in a complex environment involving an array of distinct stakeholders from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated experience in effective change management leadership.
- Ability to identify and predict real potential long-term implications of policy decisions concerning contracting and procurement.
- Understanding of public university finance, budgeting, policy, and administrative rules, and applicable state and federal laws.
- Experience fostering inclusive excellence to enable success for people from diverse backgrounds, while looking to diversity as a source of enrichment and strength.
Bachelor's degree and a minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience negotiating and/or drafting complex contracts and procurements, with a minimum of three years directly managing staff. Cal Poly
Known for its Learn by Doing pedagogy, Cal Poly is the flagship of the world-renowned California State University system. Annually recognized as one of the top public universities in the nation, Cal Poly continues to offer an academic curriculum based on learned experience gained through real-world practice. Located in San Luis Obispo, Cal Poly is nestled comfortably among the coastal foothills, minutes from the Pacific Ocean and equidistant to the Bay Area and Los Angeles.
Cal Poly offers a best-in-class benefits program, including health, dental and vision insurance, retirement participation in the Public Employees' Retirement System, and educational benefits for eligible employees. See our benefits website
for additional information. Diversity Statement
At Cal Poly, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly's values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.
Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. Cal Poly is an equal opportunity employer.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled