Reporting to the Director of School of the Nursing, the Office Administrative Assistant works independently to assist in the day to day management of the department. The incumbent in this position works closely with the Faculty, Staff, and Students to ensure projects, procedures and policies within the department are updated and completed. The incumbent is responsible for creating, modifying and distributing department documents and management of department forms.Key Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Responsible for maintaining office supplies
- Manage department mail and website inquires, this includes retrieving and forwarding to appropriate department contact and typing routine correspondence
- Responsible for the distribution of student and faculty announcements
- Creates and updates faculty committee and student lists
- Assist with department meetings, such as taking minutes at Full Faculty, Personnel, and Executive committee meeting
- Preparation of student petition materials for Executive Committee meetings. This includes researching and gathering appropriate documentation and data when required
- Assists with special events, receptions, and department activities, this includes facilitating catering requests, scheduling room reservations, and sending guest parking passes
- Responds to student and faculty questions pertaining to department information, resources and general academic policies and procedures including forms and petitions
- Maintains and facilitates documentation for Public Health Nursing / Certified Nursing Assistant certifications materials, and other essential department documents as necessary
- Develops fit testing scheduling
- Manages and facilitates transcripts submissions for NCLEX examination requirements
- Manages and audits course materials in google drive (course syllabi)
- Provides direction with the application process for the RN to BSN and BSN program (NursingCas)
- Cross-train for other administrative functions in the nursing office in the absence/leaves of other staff
- Excellent oral and written communication skills /customer service and public relations
- Strong knowledge of form and document development (PowerPoint, Google Docs, etc.)
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat, Excel, and DocuSign
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications
- Demonstrate critical thinking and problem solving
- Ability to apply independent judgment, discretion, and initiative to address problems and develop practical, thorough and, at times, creative solutions.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Ability to perform standard arithmetic functions of a transactional nature, including tracking and comparing data.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply a variety of state, federal, CSU, and SJSU policies and procedures.
- Completion of a high school program, technical/vocational program, or their equivalents combined
- Two years of related office work experience or a combination of education and experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position
- Bachelor's Degree
- 3 years or more of office experience
- Some management experience
Classification: Administrative Support Coordinator I
Anticipated Hiring Range: up to $3,607/month
Salary Range: $3,064/month - $5,148/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: August 9, 2021 through August 23, 2021
. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university. Contact Information
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled