The mission of the Office of Public Affairs and Strategic Communications is to elevate and protect the California State University Maritime Academy brand and inform and inspire the community through storytelling. The department, which is under the division of University Advancement, works to drive engagement between the university and key target audiences in the region and beyond.
Under the direction of the Senior Director, Public Affairs and Strategic Communications, the Multimedia Specialist will capture and document the life of the Cal Maritime campus community and create engaging storytelling through photography and video content. The content will be utilized in print and digital communications, including but not limited to the alumni magazine, admission marketing materials, fundraising collateral, the Cal Maritime website, and a range of social media platforms, including live streaming.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested parties should submit the Cal Maritime Employment Application, a cover letter, resume, and a sample portfolio of still photography and video. Apply on-line at http://www.csum.edu/web/hr/careers.
ABOUT THE CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY MARITIME ACADEMY:
Established in 1929, California State University Maritime Academy, a campus of the California State University, is the only degree-granting maritime academy on the West Coast. Located on a scenic waterfront site in Vallejo, the campus serves a student population of approximately 1100 undergraduates and 50 graduate students. The campus currently offers undergraduate degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Facilities Engineering Technology, Marine Engineering Technology, Marine Transportation, Global and Maritime Studies, and Business Administration. A master's degree in Transportation and Engineering Management is offered as well as a number of extended learning programs and courses.
• Capture still images and video of campus life, including academic and extracurricular activities and special events. Process them in a timely manner for quick turnaround as well as for long-term projects.
• Store imagery, retrieve, and share images as necessary.
• Work with Web and Social Media Specialist to keep an active flow of compelling content for social media platforms including accurate identifying information and captions.
• Produce a weekly social media feature, Week in Photos, that visually represents life on the Cal Maritime campus through a series of still images.
• Take an active role in providing imagery for Cal Maritime magazine and website stories. Conceive, create, and deliver compelling video storytelling elements and complete projects, both long and short form, that raise the profile of Cal Maritime.
• Create and maintain an organized file and archival structure and system to store imagery, ensuring long term repository of digital assets is safe and accessible.
• Oversee student workers and aid them in capturing and sharing content for the website, magazine and social media platforms.
• A bachelor's degree in a related field and at least 1-2 years of experience in still and motion picture photography, including a thorough knowledge of video production techniques.
• Thorough knowledge of production techniques and equipment including sound recording, graphics, video, lighting, and editing. General knowledge of production principles and practices for instructional media.
• Ability to develop, create, stage and/ or produce professional quality visuals and evaluate production effectiveness in meeting objectives.
• Strong writing skills including the ability to learn narration and continuity script writing.
• Working knowledge of tools for authoring interactive multimedia products delivered via a variety of synchronous and asynchronous techniques.
• Strong research skills and broad knowledge of resources and techniques which communicate information through multimedia productions.
• Ability to understand operating procedures and underlying technology to use and troubleshoot equipment and systems.
• Strong organizational skills to independently manage and coordinate all facets of production, budgets and other projects.
• Solid to advanced photographic capabilities, as well as photographic processing and manipulation skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain working relationships with faculty, staff and students.
• Ability to work with and train students involved in production projects.
• Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.), video editing software (Final Cut Pro, iMovie, etc.), and photo and video editing apps
• Experience in higher education.
• Ability to keep up in a fast-paced environment and easily adapt to evolving trends and expectations
• Confidence in commanding photo shoots and assignments
• Highly motivated to contribute to the team storytelling effort
• Passionate about the visual storytelling craft and developing it on Cal Maritime's campus
PHYSICAL, MENTAL and ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Up to 40% of the activities involve sitting, standing, squatting, kneeling or walking; involves lifting heavy weight objects limited to 50 pounds; may involve pushing and pulling objects within the weight limits.
HOURS of WORK/TRAVEL: Schedule flexibility including occasional nights and weekends due to range of hours of campus events
BACKGROUND CHECK: Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
MANDATED REPORTER: The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
ELIGIBILITY TO WORK: Applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship or authorization to work in the United States within three days of the date of hire.
TITLE IX: Please view the Notice of Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator at: https://www2.calstate.edu/titleix
EEO STATEMENT: Cal Maritime is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The university subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable Accommodations will be provided to applicants with qualifying disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Benefits Coordinator at (707) 654-1146.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled