Open Rank Title:
Open Rank - Medical Surgical or Psychiatric Mental Health Effective Date of Appointment:
August 18, 2022
(Subject to Budgetary Approval)About the University:
California State University Channel Islands (CSUCI) opened in 2002 as the newest campus in the California State University system. Since that time, the University has grown and developed into one of the premier public universities, not only in the California State University system, but also in the nation. Indeed, U.S. News & World Report listed CSUCI as 20th among "Top Public Schools" in its 2021 edition of Best Colleges Rankings. In 2020, CollegeNET also ranked CSUCI 20th out of over 1,449 schools in its "Social Mobility Index," and Money Magazine rated CSUCI as the 15th "Most Transformative College" in the nation.
CSUCI is a public comprehensive university that engages students in critical inquiry and is dedicated to educating leaders for a global society. The University is located in Ventura County and is home to more than 6,900 undergraduate and 239 graduate students. Approximately 55% of CSUCI's students are Pell Grant eligible, and approximately 62% are first-generation college students. CSUCI is also proud to be designated as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI), with 55% of its undergraduate students self-identifying as Latinx, 25% as White, 6% as Asian/Asian American, 4% as multiracial, and 2% as Black/African American. In 2019, CSUCI was awarded Excelencia in Education's inaugural "Seal of Excelencia" for its facilitation of Latinx student success.
CSUCI is committed to diversifying its faculty in order to address students' ever-changing needs in the 21st century. The University is also taking steps to confront racism and to advocate for social justice. To this end, CSUCI encourages applicants to apply who are motivated to serve and contribute to the university's tenure-track body, which self-identifies as 62% White, 21% Latinx, 9% Asian/Asian American, and 2% Black/African American. Diversity Statement:
CSUCI is committed to recruiting individuals who are dedicated to furthering inclusive excellence in our campus community. We seek to enhance our diverse University population by welcoming people from all backgrounds, and by working to sustain an environment where colleagues can not only work and learn, but also create and thrive.CSUCI Mission Statement:
Placing students at the center of the educational experience, California State University Channel Islands provides undergraduate and graduate education that facilitates learning within and across disciplines through integrative approaches, emphasizes experiential and service learning, and graduates students with multicultural and international perspectives.CSUCI's Commitment to You
CSUCI is committed to helping newly hired faculty develop a sense of belonging in a collaborative and supportive community dedicated to providing resources and opportunities for establishing and sustaining a research agenda and engaging in continuous improvement in equitable teaching and learning.About the Program:
As one of the premiere nursing programs in California, CSU Channel Islands Nursing Department mission statement reflects our commitment to the University's Mission Pillars by focusing on educational and inclusive excellence. Our focus is on preparing students for professional practice who are continuously growing professionally to meet the demands of the community and profession. Our goals are to: achieve student success and provide service and quality care to individuals, families and communities local, nationally, and globally; develop nurses who utilize evidence-based practice to provide quality care to individuals, families and communities local, nationally, and globally; develop competent, professional, compassionate nurses who will be life-long learners with a commitment to excellence in nursing practice; develop a strong educational foundation for nursing practice based on CSUCI campus culture; and build an organizational culture that exemplifies collaborative practice, compassion, respect for others, and embraces diversity.About the Position:
The successful applicant will function with the principles of CI including: commitment to interdisciplinarity, community service, evidence of ongoing scholarly activities and research; commitment to student participation in the learning process; spirit of collegiality and collaboration; excellence in teaching; and experience working in a multiethnic, multilingual, and multicultural environment. Successful candidate will plan, develop and teach prelicensure, post-licensure and graduate nursing courses in the classroom, online, clinical setting, and the campus simulation lab.Minimum Degree Requirements:
Applicants must have an earned doctoral degree in nursing or related field. ADB candidates will be considered but must have completed the doctoral degree by August 17, 2022.Required Qualifications:
- Master of Science in Nursing Degree
- Possession of, or eligibility for California RN license
- At least one year experience in teaching courses related to medical/surgical or psychiatric mental health nursing or completion of a course, which includes practice in teaching nursing
- At least one-year of continuous full-time experience in direct patient care as an RN within the last 3 years or eligibility for CA Board of Registered Nursing approval to teach medical/surgical or psych/mental health nursing
- Demonstrated ability to meet the scholarship requirements of tenure, tenure-track faculty as defined in the Nursing Program Personnel Standards (PPS) and University Retention, Tenure and Promotion policy.
- Familiarity with learning management systems such as Canvas and technologies used in simulation and nursing laboratory settings
- Applicants should demonstrate the commitment to effectively work with and engage a diverse student population and evidence of how they would successfully mentor minoritized students with special focus on Latinx, Black/African American, American Indian, and Asian/Asian American/Pacific Islander students.
- The ability to teach in two content areas preferably medical/surgical or psych/mental health and a specialty such as pediatrics, maternal child or community health nursing
- Excellent communication and collaborative skills
- Flexibility in teaching assignments and experience with using multiple teaching modalities with a wide variety of multicultural learners
- Experience with the CA Board of Registered Nursing or CCNE accreditation
- A willingness to teach during the summer session
Duties associated with full-time faculty responsibilities to include but not limited to: maintain accurate student records/clinical grades, coordinate clinical instruction with other faculty; coordinate students experiences with clinical personnel; maintain communications between the University and clinical agencies including annual summation meetings; participate in curriculum development; participate in CCNE accreditation and BRN mandated activities; advise students in the major; develop and review department policies; participate in curriculum excellence by remaining current in the subject matter and techniques of effect instruction through recent clinical experience and professional development; participate in institutional governance and service to the community; teaching, scholarship, and service as required by University policy.
Responsibilities include: university/community service and scholarly productivity. Assignment may include day, evening, night and weekend classes/clinical labs. Some nursing courses including psychiatric/mental health and graduate courses are taught in the summer so it is preferred that applicant be willing to work during the summer.Application Deadline:
Screening of applications will begin 10/11/2021
. Priority will be given to applicants who meet the screening deadline; however, the position will remain open until filled.Applicants must submit the following materials:
- A cover letter of application,
- A curriculum vitae,
- A names and email addresses of three references,
- Sample syllabi and other teaching materials,
- Evidence of scholarship as appropriate to rank seeking,
- A statement describing your experience mentoring and/or working with minoritized students with a special focus on Latinx, Black/African American, Asian/Asian American/Pacific Islander and American Indian students, an
- A teaching philosophy describing how you plan to engage and interact with students, with a special focus on Latinx, Black/African American, Asian/Asian American/Pacific Islander, and American Indian students.
In later phases of the search process, applicants may be requested to provide verification of terminal degrees, licenses and certificates.
Submit all required materials to the CSUCI Careers application web address below:http://jobs.csuci.eduPay, Benefits & Work Schedule:
Salary is commensurate with knowledge, skills, and experience. The University offers excellent fringe benefits.General Information:
Evidence of degree(s) required at time of hire.
At time of appointment, the successful candidate, if not a U.S. citizen, must have authorization from the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services to work in the United States.
The person holding this position may be considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083
as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
CSUCI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, and disability. Our nondiscrimination policy is set forth in CSU Executive Order 1096
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Faculty Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled