Under the general supervision of the Director of Academic Technology and the general direction of the Dean of the Library, the Instructional Designer and Technology Specialist supports the university's teaching and learning mission by facilitating innovative and accessible course design via traditional, blended, and online formats, content development, assessment practices, feedback, and demonstration of student outcomes through the use of technology.
Working with faculty, staff and administrators, the incumbent supports the university community in the design and application of instructional technologies and pedagogies, develops and delivers professional development and training opportunities, and collaborates with faculty development and technology support staff members and campus service providers to create an innovative support infrastructure for distributed learning at Cal Maritime.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested parties should submit the Cal Maritime Employment Application, a cover letter and resume. Apply on-line at http://www.csum.edu/web/hr/careers.
ABOUT THE CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY MARITIME ACADEMY:
Established in 1929, California State University Maritime Academy, a campus of the California State University, is the only degree-granting maritime academy on the West Coast. Located on a scenic waterfront site in Vallejo, the campus serves a student population of approximately 1100 undergraduates and 50 graduate students. The campus currently offers undergraduate degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Facilities Engineering Technology, Marine Engineering Technology, Marine Transportation, Global and Maritime Studies, and Business Administration. A master's degree in Transportation and Engineering Management is offered as well as a number of extended learning programs and courses.
• Work collaboratively as a team and with faculty development to support, develop, and conduct academic technology training materials and workshops for faculty regarding instructional technology. Use the campus Learning Management System (LMS) and the tools provided of current and emerging technologies in teaching and learning for face-to-face, hybrid and online modes of instruction.
• Provide individual faculty and group comprehensive instructional design consultation for various modes of instruction with a focus on utilizing academic technologies to create accessible, web-enhanced, blended, hybrid, and online courses to enhance student learning experiences.
• Provide technical and functional support for the learning management system and other instructional technology for campus units in all divisions.
• Bachelor's degree in education, information systems, educational technology, communications, or related fields, or similar certified coursework in applicable fields of study.
• Two years of experience providing training and support to faculty and students in higher education environments required, three years preferred. Minimum of two years of experience designing and developing online courses in learning management systems, or two years of related instructional design experience in higher education and training.
• General knowledge of information technology systems and/or applications used for teaching and learning, including campus wide systems and multimedia environments, access procedures, databases.
• Ability to apply training theory and practices to develop and deliver technical training and user documentation.
• Ability to apply consultative skills to assess user needs and provide appropriate support; integrate multiple applications and/or systems; and analyze data requirements and research data availability and access methods.
• Proficiency using standard instructional software packages.
• Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills in working with users to interpret needs and provide appropriate solutions.
• Basic knowledge of instructional design principles.
• Broad skills in technical information systems and educational technology software to support teaching and learning.
• Working knowledge of automated desktop management tools in an enterprise environment, common software application packages, equipment platforms, reference database systems and sources, and training methods and basic understanding multimedia systems.
• Extensive understanding of current and emerging pedagogies and modalities used in higher education, specifically in distributed learning.
• Knowledge/certification in quality assurance for distributed learning (ex. Cal State QLT), LMS tools and design, media and graphic design production and editing.
• Strong interpersonal skills that promote professionalism and mutual respect in all interactions. Ability to work effectively and interdependently in a diverse university environment. Ability to independently handle multiple work unit priorities and projects. Exceptional ability to communicate in a professional, persuasive, and tactful manner both verbally and in writing.
• Demonstrated record of a strong customer service orientation.
• Demonstrated success in working collaboratively in a team-oriented environment.
• Advance degree in education, information systems, educational technology, communications, or related fields.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL and ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: - Involves mainly sitting; walking and standing is minimal; involves lifting lightweight objects limited to 15 pounds.
HOURS of WORK/TRAVEL: Incumbent may be called back to work at the discretion of the Appropriate Administrator in an emergency. May occasionally work evenings or weekends as need dictates.
BACKGROUND CHECK: Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
ELIGIBILITY TO WORK: Applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship or authorization to work in the United States within three days of the date of hire.
TITLE IX: Please view the Notice of Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator at: https://www2.calstate.edu/titleix
EEO STATEMENT: Cal Maritime is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The university subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable Accommodations will be provided to applicants with qualifying disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Benefits Coordinator at
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled