The College of Graduate Studies at San José State University supports the academic mission of the University and collaboratively works with the campus community to enhance student success.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations, and receiving work lead direction from the Admissions and Operations - Lead, the Data Specialist performs a full range of moderately complex to complex office and administrative support functions for the Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations Unit within the College of Graduate Studies. Working independently, under general supervision, the Data Specialist is primarily responsible for coordinating a variety of interrelated workflow processes to ensure the timely receipt, review, scanning, referral and processing of transcripts, and applications and all documents related to the admissions process for all graduate students, as well as updating of records using various imaging technology and integrated databases. The incumbent also provides applicant customer service by answering status questions through virtual and in-person assistance as needed. Key Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Coordinate, implement, and maintain clerical, administrative and customer support functions for all aspects of admissions services.
- Responsible for all aspects of transcripts and other documents required for admissions, transfer credit and graduation, and workflow processing functions in preparation for data routing to the Admission Services Unit.
- Coordinate transcript receipting and data/workflow processing.
- Coordinate the coding, analysis, scanning, receipting, and transferring of all documents related to both graduate and undergraduate admissions, evaluations, and graduation.
- Coordinate the compilation, tracking, and timely receipt of all documents required to process applications for admission and graduation.
- Complete and maintain student admission status, including, but not limited to, admission residency determination, receipt of application fees, and document verification/editing via computerized system.
- Process documents using student administration databases and imaging/workflow products.
- Review reports for document coding/analysis accuracy and make corrections as needed.
- Track admission status, and reconcile and verify transcripts received for completing applications used to track student admission status.
- Ensure completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of production functions within area of responsibility.
- Troubleshoot transcript and application processing problems.
- Maintain daily/weekly record of admissions processes to be completed and those completed.
- Knowledge of or ability to quickly acquire knowledge of, forms and documents needed to complete applications for undergraduate admissions and graduation.
- Knowledge of customer service standards, principles, and practices.
- Ability to verify and interpret academic transcripts from high schools and institutions of higher education.
- Ability to analyze and review a wide variety of documents and forms for accuracy and completeness and to process them in a timely and efficient manner.
- Ability to perform standard business math, track financial data, and make simple projections.
- Ability to comprehend and interpret regulations and requirements and apply them in a production process.
- Ability to handle effectively a broader range of interpersonal contacts, including those at a higher level and those sensitive in nature.
- Ability to apply a wide variety of policies and procedures where specific guidelines may not exist.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply a variety of state, federal, California State University (CSU), and SJSU policies and procedures.
- Completion of a high school program, technical/vocational program, or their equivalents
- Two years of related office work experience or a combination of education and experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position
- Six months of study at a higher education institution
- Three years of fulltime experience in a higher education institution working directly with admissions
Classification: Administrative Support Coordinator - I
Salary Range: $3,064/month - $5,148/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: August 2, 2021 through August 16, 2021
. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university. Contact Information
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled