Description: Classroom & Video Services Technician (Career-Level)
(Equipment Systems Specialist - Career) Compensation and Benefits
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $3,800 to 4,500 a month
Full classification Salary Range: $3,388 to 6,744 a month
- This is a full-time, probationary, non-exempt position.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this recruitment.
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here
Technology Services is dedicated to providing a broad range of technology-based planning, resources and services to the students, faculty and staff of California State University, Fresno.
Technology Services provides administrative information services, core services, and desktop support to the Fresno State community. Our department consists of a well trained team of individuals dedicated to providing effective technology and quality services and support that are integrated into the daily activities of the entire campus. Job Summary
Under the general direction of an appropriate administrator or the leadership of a senior level Information Technology (IT) Professional (Expert level), the Equipment / Systems Specialist supports the mission of the department and the University by providing services and support in the Classroom and Video Services (CVS) group. Working with other technical staff to assure that our mission is administered and performed in a timely and professional manner in order to provide training and technical support to the faculty and staff of the campus community.
The incumbent serves as a primary IT resource on all assigned topics and for multiple clients. Incumbents at this level work relatively independently and possess the experience to be fully proficient in performing most or all of the work assignments defined for their position.Major Duties
• Works closely with Academic and Instructional Schools and Departments across campus to plan and implement their technology needs and ensure that the technology is standardized, installed, maintained, and functioning properly. Provide consultation, budgets and equipment lists to schools and colleges and departments as required.
• Work closely with other technical staff regarding the availability of essential networking infrastructure to provide our technology services to the campus community and other outside organizations.
• Monitor, support and maintain Global Viewer network monitoring software tool.
• Researching and recommending new technology for academic use.
• Coordinating the day to day operation of the distance learning and videoconference rooms
• Works closely with Plant Operations staff to assure that locations on campus are constructed and maintained properly to support campus classroom and video technology
• Work closely with outside vendors to stay current on technology to provide the best technology at the best price to the campus community. Secondary Duties of the job include:
• Connect or schedule Videoconferences and Distance Learning Classes via the Polycom Converged Management Application or using the current CSU Scheduling Solution
• Serving as a technical contact for distance learning, videoconferencing facilities, and classroom technology such as clickers/response devices
• Participate as a member of campus and system-wide committees, and also participate in system-wide initiatives to help guide the implementation of instructional technologies in the CSU
• Provide end-user training when necessary
• Provide backup technical support for other IT professionals
• As directed, act as liaison between equipment users and campus IT resources
• Aid in providing training presentations and developing informal training materials.
• Documents completed work for purposes of billing or recordkeeping
• May be required to conduct preliminary job reviews and develop cost estimates
• Programming Extron Media Link, Touch Link and System controllers Key Qualifications
• The methods, materials, and tools used in the repair, maintenance, and installation of multimedia and videoconference systems.
• Knowledge of Design, Installation, Maintenance and Troubleshooting of:
o Mac and/or PC computers and software.
o Interpreting schematics and diagrams.
o Wiring configuration systems.
o Smart Classroom Technology (Including Video Displays, Audio, Control and Cabling) Ability to:
• Must be able to provide technical support on various special projects, which may require some weekend work.
• Ability to analyze equipment problems and determine what repairs are needed.
To view the full list of qualifications and job responsibilities, please click the Position Description button above.Education and Experience
Preferred/Specialized Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
An associate of arts degree in electronics, telecommunications, or industrial technology or equivalent education, training, and/or directly related experience, or
• Equivalent to two years of journey-level or skilled experience in the installation, maintenance, repair, and operation of electrical, electronic and digital media equipment, or
• At least three years of directly related experience demonstrating the requisite skill set and competence in the specialty field:
o Experience with LCD projection systems, cameras, microphones, audio and video mixers and/or switchers, computers, laptops, monitors, sound systems, multi-point control units (MCU's).
o Experience with A/V control system design and configuration.
• Experience with Extron control systems, LCD projection systems, cameras, microphones, audio and video mixers and/or switchers, computers, laptops, monitors, sound systems, multi-point control units (MCU's).
• Experience with Extron control system design and configuration.
• Experience with AMX Touch Screen Control System design and programming
• Experience with H323, H239 and IP/Web Based Conferencing and IP based videoconferencing
• Knowledge of Design, Installation, Maintenance and Troubleshooting of:
o Live Multipoint Videoconferences
o Polycom and Tandberg Videoconferencing Systems Deadline & Application Instructions
Recruitment opened until filled. Applications received by August 15, 2021, will be given full consideration by the search committee.
Applications received after that date will be forwarded at the request of the Hiring Manager and/or search committee.
Please click "Apply Now" to complete the employment application for California State University, Fresno. Interested applicants must complete the application and attach the following: 1) their most recent resumé/vitae, 2) a cover letter that addresses their specific qualifications and interest, and 3) contact information for three professional references. Fresno State
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to boldly educate and empower students for success through our values of Discovery, Diversity and Distinction. The current student population is more than 25,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and across the globe.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 527,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley. The campus is within driving distance of Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.Equal Employment Opportunity Information
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Orders 1096 and 1097 prohibit discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Fresno State's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring, and retention. We are proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. Supplemental Information
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with California State University, Fresno. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Fresno State has identified as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" under the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This will require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within six (6) months of assuming office and every two (2) years thereafter.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled