*This is a part-time benefited position with rotating work hours, including weekends and evenings.*
Reporting to the Captain of MLK Library Security and receiving supervision from the Lead Community Service Officer, the Community Service Officer is responsible for providing a safe and secure environment for the patrons, staff, collections, and facilities of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library.Key Responsibilities
- Encourage compliance with library policies
- Report suspected hazards and criminal behavior
- Provide assistance to patrons and staff as requested
- Respond to alarms and other calls for service
- Write police reports
- Respond to alarms from theft detection devices
- Provide information to patrons coming to the library
- Create a professional atmosphere that both comforts patrons and deters criminal activity
- Monitor Closed Circuit Television surveillance system
- Monitor Integrated Security System and Alarms
- Monitor Elevator Command Computer System
- Operate Radio Base Station for Security Officers and UPD
After appointment, Community Service Officers must successfully complete the appropriate training program designed by the University Police Department.
The Community Service Officer must have the ability to walk, stand, sit, see in appropriate color vision, hear in an appropriate range of sounds, balance, climb, twist, bend, and reach with hands and arms. Assignments will require standing, sitting, or walking for lengthy periods of time, and may be indoors or outdoors. Employees may be exposed to physical and verbal abuse where considerable self-control must be exercised. Some of the work may require considerable physical exertion and viewing of surveillance monitor equipment.
The work environment is a multi-story library building and the exterior walkways and access ways. Any indoor assignment may require standing, sitting, or walking for lengthy periods of time. Employees may be exposed to weather conditions and outdoor temperatures. Employees may be exposed to physical and verbal abuse where considerable self-control must be exercised. Some of the work may require considerable physical exertion and viewing of surveillance monitor equipment. Incumbents are assigned to shift work and rotated among various assignments.Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to quickly learn, understand, and apply specific San Jose State University and City of San Jose rules and regulations.
- Ability to understand and apply local, state, and federal laws.
- Knowledge of or the ability to learn to use, applicable public safety related equipment and systems.
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with a wide range of people.
- Ability to act calmly and rationally in emergency situations.
- Ability to understand and operate a computer card key badging station.
- Ability to understand and operate an InfoGraphics Alarms system.
- Ability to learn Police 10 code.
- Ability to use handheld radio communication system.
- Ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse multicultural and socio-economic community environment.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to act calmly and rationally in emergency situations.
- Ability to monitor CCTV screens for extended periods.
- Ability to possess a valid California Driver's license
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Valid California Driver's License
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.Preferred Qualifications
- Six month previous police/security/military law enforcement training and/or experience
- Library Security experience
- Customer Services experience
- Strong written communication skills
Classification: Community Service Specialist I
Anticipated Hiring Range: $2,055/month (Part - Time)
Hiring Range: $2,705/month - $4,501/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: July 30, 2021 through August 17, 2021
. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university. Contact Information
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled