The Communications Specialist plans and manages College communications with internal and external groups, using multiple media in a timely and relevant manner. The Specialist consults with administrators, University PR, faculty and staff to identify issues and opportunities, develop strategies and advance the College's vision and mission. The Specialist is the College's liaison to other university personnel and organizations for communication-related activities. The Communications Specialist oversees the work of the Web Designer, staff and student assistants who support the college's communications efforts.Key Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Develops communication initiatives aligned with the Strategic Plan that promote dean's programs, college events and news, including direct marketing strategies and communication designs.
- Advises dean, department chairs and directors, faculty, and staff on communication protocols and marketing strategies, materials and best practices.
- Manages and tracks analytics; recommends and implements initiatives and changes to improve and enhance communications protocols.
- Develops and manages all college-related communications, marketing and public relations materials.
- Develops and manages materials designed specifically for community / industry partners and donors.
- Writes speeches and event scripts for the Dean.
- Oversees and supervises staff to manage all communications for the college, including online and digital content.
- Supervises student assistants for weekly newsletters, social media platforms, graphic design, speaker and event photography, and other communications tasks.
- Ensures brand compliance, accessibility, cultural awareness and alignment with campus design.
- Supports the college Strategic Plan with regard to outreach to college alumni.
- Works closely with dean, development director, and department chairs to target and support their alumni outreach efforts.
- Ability to plan and execute the college's strategic communications.
- Ability to think critically, anticipate problems and develop solutions.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple projects.
- Excellent research skills.
- Ability to subcontract photographers, graphic designers, and university-contracted printers.
- Ability to generate spoken/displayed material for events such as the Open House, Awards Banquet, research-related events, and speeches made by the Dean and other College representatives.
- Ability to research and make contact with alumni.
- Working knowledge of current social media platforms to support the engagement of internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent writing (business and academic), editing, and proofing skills (e.g., format, spelling, grammar, and punctuation).
- Working knowledge of AP style citation as well as other academic styles of citation.
- Ability to create and edit digital signage, newsletters, magazines, and website materials.
- Working knowledge of software applications: word processing, Google Docs, Canvas, spreadsheet design, presentations, web analytics, Adobe Photoshop, and InDesign.
- Proficiency in either Mac OS or Windows OS.
- Bachelor's degree, which includes relevant coursework in the field.
- Five years of related professional or technical experience.
- Experience in writing and preparing brochures, newsletters, magazines, speeches, and etc.
- Experience in writing and preparing videos, photography, social media, outreach campaigns, and etc.
- Experience in managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience in developing materials with branding standards.
- Experience in planning and organizing small to large-scale events.
Classification: Public Affairs/Communication Specialist
Anticipated Hiring Range: up to $6,283/month
Salary Range: $4,140/month - $7,425/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: July 22, 2021 through August 5, 2021
. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university. Contact Information
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled