POSITION SUMMARY: The Admission Office provides comprehensive services to prospective students, students, staff, faculty, and the members of the community-at-large who are seeking information or services from the University relative to outreach, recruitment and pre-admission advising. This position carries out a full range of activities within these functional areas. Under the general supervision of the Director of Admission, this position specializes in using electronic tools to generate, cultivate, advise, convert, and yield prospective students. Duties will include the following: conduct pre-admission advising appointments; staff on and off-campus events; conduct advising and promotional visits to high schools and community colleges; staff college fairs; conduct informational presentations on Cal Maritime, the CSU system, and admissions; provide follow-up communication to prospective students; build positive relationships with prospective students, their families, and high school & community college counselors.
This New Student Communication Specialist and Enrollment Services Counselor position is a regular, 12-month position. This position will be responsible for engaging with virtually and in-person with prospective and incoming students, high school teachers and counselors and transfer school personnel using various channels. Engagement is accomplished using various channels and modalities. Some travel may be required to support off-campus recruitment and admission events.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested parties should submit the Cal Maritime Employment Application, a cover letter and resume. Apply on-line at http://www.csum.edu/web/hr/careers.
ABOUT THE CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY MARITIME ACADEMY:
Established in 1929, California State University Maritime Academy, a campus of the California State University, is the only degree-granting maritime academy on the West Coast. Located on a scenic waterfront site in Vallejo, the campus serves a student population of approximately 1100 undergraduates and 50 graduate students. The campus currently offers undergraduate degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Facilities Engineering Technology, Marine Engineering Technology, Marine Transportation, Global and Maritime Studies, and Business Administration. A master's degree in Transportation and Engineering Management is offered as well as a number of extended learning programs and courses.
Generate, cultivate, convert, and yield prospective students by providing outreach and recruitment services utilizing the department's student relationship management system, departmental website and various social media platforms.
• Understand and keep current knowledge of CSU and Cal Maritime-specific admission requirements and eligibility
• Understand and communicate Cal Maritime marketing messages
• Develop innovative and effective methods to build relationships with prospective students
• Regularly reference, retain, recall, and apply CSU and Cal Maritime recruitment & admissions policies & procedures and deadlines
• Learn and keep current knowledge of how to effectively utilize the department's student relationship management system
• Learn and keep current knowledge of how to effectively update content in webpages
• Learn and keep current knowledge of how to effectively send messages to students using various social media platforms
• Implement communication strategies targeting specific groups of prospective students and applicants based on an agreed-upon departmental plan
• Follow through in a timely manner on all requests for information/assistance
• Bear responsibility for accuracy of information provided electronically
• Bear responsibility for the timely update of information published on all communication channels used by the department prior to the start of recruitment cycles
Provide high quality client service and respond to inquiries in a timely manner. Deliver basic service in the areas of pre-admission/recruitment and admissions.
• Provide support in the creation and delivery of slide presentations about the Academy and admission process to prospective and current applicants attending campus tours
• Communicate benefits of a Cal Maritime education, student success, services and relevant initiatives
• Deliver exceptional & courteous service when answering inquiries from the audience
• Actively problem-solve and use independent judgment in dealing with the public
Conduct virtual or in-person recruitment presentations for students and parents in high schools and community colleges, as assigned.
• Complete visits to high schools and community colleges, conduct pre-admission advising appointments, as needed
• Conduct follow-up communication by phone and email with prospects and applicants under the direction of the Director
• Provide accurate, ethical, and quality pre-admission and initial financial aid advising
• File quarterly reports with the Associate Director on recruitment activities using a standard reporting form.
• Track and report on visits, counseling appointments, events, and other activities
• Represent Cal Maritime in a professional manner, including professional dress and a positive attitude
Perform other duties and special projects as assigned
• Special projects or unanticipated needs may result in other duties being assigned
• Provide training opportunities to incoming incumbent for progression planning
• Participate in ongoing comprehensive cross-training efforts within Division of Academic Affairs
• Collaborate with other campus units to effectively accomplish goals and achieve highest possible stated outcomes
Possession of the knowledge and abilities is typically demonstrated through the equivalent of two years of professional experience in one of the student services program areas or in a related field; experience should give evidence of competence and indicate the potential for further growth. A master's degree in a job related field may be substituted for one year of the professional experience.
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration or a job related field. Additional specialized experience during which the applicant has acquired and successfully applied the knowledge and abilities shown above may be substituted for the required education on a year for year basis.
• Ability to speak to individuals and large groups, presenting information on admissions, financial aid, Cal Maritime, and the CSU
• Ability to quickly acquire a general knowledge of Cal Maritime and CSU/Cal Maritime enrollment requirements, policies, and procedures, as well as general knowledge about financial aid processes and procedures
• Ability to interpret and apply enrollment policies and procedures
• Demonstrated ability to make decisions and carry through actions having implications with regard to other program or service areas.
• Ability to work independently and effectively, and carry-out assignments without detailed instructions
• Ability to interact professionally and effectively, individually or in group settings, with prospective students and their family members, school/college counselors, and colleagues
• Ability to understand, embrace, and communicate Cal Maritime marketing messages
• 1 year of experience in a college/university setting in outreach and recruiting preferred
• 1 year of experience in the use of social media platforms for marketing purposes
• First-hand knowledge of Cal Maritime's educational experience preferred
• Ability and willingness to work with diverse populations
• Ability to identify and analyze organizational and operating problems and implement appropriate responses
• Strong organizational skills and ability to plan, coordinate, and initiate actions necessary to implement administrative or group decisions or recommendations
• Ability to meet tight deadlines and submit all required paperwork according to office deadlines, including reimbursement forms for travel
• Ability to learn and use various technologies, including PeopleSoft, a relationship management system, web content system, virtual meeting platforms, and MS Office applications
• Must have a valid California Driver's License, insurable driving record, and access to a personal vehicle to perform duties of the position
• Must complete frequent travel via car throughout Southern California and able to travel by plane to Cal Maritime for trainings and events a minimum of four times per year.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL and ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Involves mainly sitting with up to 25% of the activities involving regular standing or walking; involves lifting of medium weight objects limited to 25 pounds.
HOURS of WORK/TRAVEL: Must accommodate a flexible work schedule that sometimes includes evenings, weekends, and overnight trips (and occasional extended overnight trips) when hotel stays are necessary due to event schedules or cost benefit to Cal Maritime
BACKGROUND CHECK: Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check and DMV records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
MANDATED REPORTER: The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
DESIGNATED POSITION: This position is a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
ELIGIBILITY TO WORK: Applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship or authorization to work in the United States within three days of the date of hire.
TITLE IX: Please view the Notice of Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator at: https://www2.calstate.edu/titleix
EEO STATEMENT: Cal Maritime is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The university subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable Accommodations will be provided to applicants with qualifying disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Benefits Coordinator at
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled