Network Engineering Analyst
(Network Analyst - Career)
Apply Today! Extended. Application Screening Begins: Friday, August 20, 2021
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement
, California State University, Monterey Bay
(CSUMB) is a mid-sized comprehensive baccalaureate and masters granting university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives through a focus on student success and engagement through project-based learning, service learning in its regional community, and the promotion of multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond campus. CSUMB is both a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) and an Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and has a vibrant, diverse student body of over 7,400 students.
The university's Strategic Plan
prioritizes inclusive excellence through recruiting and investing in the development of a diverse body of faculty, staff, and administrators. CSUMB's sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral by 2030. The university's faculty and staff, many of whom live in the East Campus housing development, appreciate living and working so close to the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, CSUMB offers excellent benefits, including access to below market rate campus housing and competitive salaries for faculty and staff. PURPOSE :
Under the general direction of the Director of Network Services, and with oversight provided by the Lead Network Engineer, the Network Engineering Analyst is primarily responsible for installing, managing, securing, and operating the wireless portion of California State University Monterey Bay's data network. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following : Network Management and Analysis
Customer Service Functions
- Provides campus indoor/outdoor WiFi service including troubleshooting and user support to all buildings and campus users.
- Monitor network performance and health utilizing the campus' WiFi monitoring software to ensure proper WIFI coverage, taking proactive action against future performance issues.
- Manage, administer and configure ACL policy security for the WiFi controllers, while monitoring for health and ensuring proper operations including OS upgrades, configuration changes and system optimization.
- Produce management reports regarding the usage and performance of the campus network.
- Apply fundamental knowledge of wireless systems to troubleshoot network system failures and ensure appropriate corrective action is taken.
Network Administration and Support
- Provide multi Tier support to campus users and the IT@CSUMB Help Desk through the IT ticketing system.
- Install, configure, upgrade and maintain software and network equipment; including switches, routers, and firewalls.
- Maintains the campus wireless access policy manager, providing wireless authentication for all campus users and devices.
- Works closely with other CSUMB IT employees to provide premier network support to campus users and interests.
Other Functions :
- Plans, designs, installs, surveys and optimizes campus WiFi network with network optimization tools; including capacity planning and analysis.
- Determine and recommend network architecture, topology, standards and protocols, including identification of the hardware, and software.
- Provide wireless network consultation to campus partners during the hardware purchasing process.
Performs other job-related duties and special projects as assigned. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES : Thorough knowledge of:
TCP/IP switching, routing, and security, including wireless data network architectures, configurations, protocols, and interconnectivity requirements. Troubleshooting skills including: Analyzing 802.11 wireless data network and system service problems using appropriate test structures and related diagnostics; and understanding of RF based wireless data networking systems and ability to troubleshoot within an RF based network environment. Ability to:
Troubleshooting general network connectivity issues, network design and implementation including the ability to translate user-defined requirements into wireless data networking specifications and features. Create network designs to optimize performance parameters and interpret impact to users and resolve connectivity, traffic, and congestion problems. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS :
To enter this classification, a basic foundation of knowledge and skills in technical, information network systems is a prerequisite. This foundation would normally be obtained through a bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, industrial technology, telecommunications or a related technical field, or equivalent training and experience. Foundation knowledge and skills for the Network Analyst include a basic knowledge of telecommunications and transmission technologies, including network architecture, topologies, protocols, programming applications and interfaces appropriate to the defined work area and assignments. Based on specialized assignments, a position may also require background, and/or licensure if required, in computer operating systems, broadcast network functions, or telecommunication switching systems. SPECIALIZED SKILLS
- Understanding of communication transmission technologies (e.g., circuit and packet switching, satellite uplink, etc.).
- Knowledge of network traffic and performance parameters to interpret variance and service impact to users.
- Ability to analyze network/systems problems using appropriate test structures and related diagnostics (e.g., protocol analyzer, T-bert analyzer, spectrum analyzer, etc.). Can operate applicable network equipment and application software programs.
- Understanding of connectivity, system integration, and traffic issues.
- Ability to determine most cost-effective structure and design for network
Demonstrated ability to address the essential functions associated with this position including the knowledge and abilities identified above. PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS :
A minimum of 3 years of progressively responsible technical experience that demonstrates acquisition and successful application of the skills, knowledge, and abilities identified above. Demonstrated technical literacy.
Cisco Certified Network Associate/Professional (CCNA/CCNP) and/or (CWNA/CWNP) Certified Wireless Network Associate or Professional and/or Cisco Certified Design. Associate/Professional (CCDA/CCDP) certification within the last three years. Highly desirable
: Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to CSUMB's Vision
. SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT & POSITION DESIGNATIONS :
PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT :
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
- The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- Must possess and maintain a valid license to drive in the State of California, pass the Defensive Training Class, and be insurable under the University's liability coverage.
- May require occasional evenings and/or weekend work.
- This position has been designated as a sensitive position with:
- responsibility or access/possession of building master or sub-master keys for building access
- access to and responsibility for detailed personally identifiable Level 1 confidential information about students, faculty, staff or alumni that is protected, personal or sensitive as defined in the CSU Information Security Data Classification Standards
- control over campus business processes, either through functional roles or system security access
- responsibility for operating commercial vehicles, machinery or equipment that could pose environmental hazards or cause injury, illness, or death
Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. Position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods of time. May require travel between campus offices and off-campus locations.
There are components of this job which are deemed essential on campus. This position will primarily work on the main campus, with occasional work from home. This position requires working on campus with students. The health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff remain our highest priority. In the fall, students, faculty, staff, and the community can expect that masks will be required and that the appropriate degree of social distancing will be in place in all areas based on evolving guidance. Additionally, all students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to be vaccinated before coming to campus. All community members who work or attend class on campus should expect to participate in a random or periodic testing system. CSUMB will communicate more information about vaccination requirements and testing protocols when the details become available. POSITION INFORMATION :
- Type of Appointment: Full-Time, Probationary
- Collective Bargaining Unit: Clerical & Administrative Support Services (CSUEU)
- Anticipated Campus Hiring Salary: Low $6,000's/month
- CSU Salary Range
- FLSA Status: Exempt
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, dental & vision plans; a fee waiver education program; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 14 paid holidays a year. For more information, visit: CSU Benefits
. Additionally, University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability, visit: Employee Housing. APPLICATION PROCEDURE :
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at csumb.edu/jobs
. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned. CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting University Personnel at (831) 582-3389. For computer/online access you may visit the Tanimura and Antle Family Memorial Library
). All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S. GENERAL INFORMATION :
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the Cal State University, Monterey Bay Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at: https://csumb.edu/clery
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. AFFIRMATIVE ACTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER :
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms and strive to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion. We consider qualified applicants for employment for their anticipated contributions and without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled