Applications will be reviewed on an as-needed basis until the position has been filled) The eligible list established from this recruitment may be used to fill future temporary and permanent positions as vacancies arise. (Faxes and postmarks will not be accepted) (Natividad offers up to a $1,500 sign-on bonus to candidates hired into a permanent position). Exam# 20/50U18/05CR POSITION DESCRIPTION Natividad is currently seeking to fill a temporary Pharmacy Technician position
. Under supervision of a registered pharmacist, the Pharmacy Technician performs specialized technical work in the preparation of prescriptions and other medications for inpatients and outpatients; maintains comprehensive patient medication files; works with and assists pharmacists in the maintenance and manufacture of routine intravenous solutions and special solutions and other work as required.
Examples of Duties SIGNIFICANT DUTIES
- Compounds intravenous medications including IV admixtures, total parenteral nutrition, and chemotherapy using proper aseptic technique.
- Compounds simple compounds including creams, ointments, and solutions.
- Fills initial and refill medication orders for pharmacist check.
- Performs pharmaceutical calculations related to compounding and medication administration.
- Clean and disinfect IV compounding equipment and facilities
- Monitor the environmental temperatures of temperature sensitive medications and take immediate actions when temperature controlled inventory locations go out of range.
- Perform monthly checks of drug supplies stored throughout the hospital with irregularities being reported within 24 hours to the pharmacist in charge and the chief executive office of the facility. Remove unacceptable, recalled or expired medication from inventory for return or discard.
- Package emergency supplies for use in the hospital's emergency medical system. Seal emergency containers for use in the hospital's emergency medical system.
- Perform non-discretionary aspects of outpatient pharmacy medication dispensing. Transcribe written or faxed prescriptions into the computer or receive prescriptions electronically. Pull, fill and label the medication for pharmacist check.
- Maintain security and control of controlled substances and controlled substance records.
- Process patients credits for unused medications.
- Dispose of controlled medications, hazardous medications, and other medications and supplies as required by hospital policy and by state and federal government.
- Repackage extemporaneous unit doses of bulk medications.
- Assist in preparation and maintenance of pharmacy department records.
- Answer telephone calls with excellent customer service for both patients and coworkers; answer non-discretionary questions and forwarding discretionary questions to the pharmacist.
- Transport medications to and from clinics, nursing areas, and other health care sites.
- Maintain neatness and tidiness in the pharmacy; maintain equipment and supplies in designated work areas.
- Maintain adequate compounding supplies and IV solutions needed to compound.
- Participate in the ordering, control, distribution, unpacking and storage of inventory; notify the buyer of items in low stock; unpack received stock and place in appropriate storage area; restock inventory storage areas and automated dispensing machines.
- Perform minor repairs, maintenance and troubleshooting of pharmacy devices and automation including automated dispensing machines.
- Assist in the training of new employees and pharmacy students.
Examples of Experience/Education/Training MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS License:
Possession of a valid CA Pharmacy Technician license is required. (Please ensure that the name on your license/certification either matches the name on your application or is indicated somewhere on your application, as all licenses/certifications will be verified via primary source) Working Knowledge of:
Skill and Ability to:
- Current methods and procedures of dispensing prescriptions and stocking pharmaceutical preparations, IV additive mixtures, unit dose medication distribution systems; drugs, chemicals and pharmaceutical supplies required of a hospital pharmacy
- Safety policies and procedures as they relate to pharmacy
- Computer applications related to pharmacy
- Medical terminology and abbreviations
- Basic pharmacology and pharmacological nomenclature
- State and federal pharmacy regulations as they pertain to specific assignments
- Standards and terminology of weights and measures
- Aseptic technique and manipulation of sterile solutions
- Operation of various machines and devices utilized in a pharmacy.
A typical way of acquiring the required knowledge, skills and abilities listed above are:
- Understand and follow written instructions and apply policies and procedures pertaining to the job assignment
- Make basic mathematical and pharmaceutical calculations
- Safely handle pharmaceuticals and equipment
- Read and interpret prescriptions from physician's orders
- Deal effectively with the public and co-workers
- Perform weighing, measuring and documentation with accuracy
- Operate a computer, communicate clearly and effectively
- Provide excellent customer services
- Work under the direct supervision of a pharmacist
- Write clearly and legibly
- Work with numerous or constant interruptions
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
Possession of a valid CA Pharmacy Technician license
One year of experience working as a pharmacy technician in an acute care hospital
Additional Information CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
**REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS AND SCREENING PROCESS** APPLICATION SUBMISSION:
- Natividad requires that all incumbents pass a pre-employment physical/medical assessment.
- Natividad will conduct a thorough background and reference check process which includes a Department of Justice fingerprint check.
- Employees who drive on County business to carry out job related duties must possess a valid CA Driver License for the class vehicle driven.
- Employees must have and show their original Social Security Card and a valid CA Driver License or CA State ID prior to the first day of work.
- Incumbents may be required to work all shifts, including weekends and holidays;
- Incumbents may be required to work with potentially hazardous and infectious substances.
A completed Monterey County Application and responses to the Supplemental Questionnaire, must be submitted for review to the Natividad Human Resources Office, 1441 Constitution Blvd., Bldg. 300, Salinas, CA. 93906 OR on-line applications may be submitted at www.natividad.com
Optional resume may be attached to the on-line application or emailed separately to: GarciaDL@natividad.com ,
resume will be accepted in addition to, but not in lieu of the required application materials. For more information or to receive application materials, you may contact the NMC Human Resources Office at (831) 783-2700. Office hours, M - F, 7:30 a.m.- 5 p.m.QUALIFICATIONS ASSESSMENT:
To further assess applicants' possessions of required qualifications, this process may include an oral examination, pre-exam exercise, performance exam, or physical ability exam.ELIGIBLE LIST:
Applicants successful in the Qualifications Assessment process will be placed on an eligible list for possible final selection interview. This eligible list will be used to fill current and future vacancies.SPECIAL NOTES
(Natividad offers up to a $1,500 sign-on bonus to candidates hired into a permanent position).
- If you believe you possess a disability that would require test accommodation, please contact the HR Analyst for Natividad at (831) 783-2711.
- Employment is contingent upon acceptable documentation verifying identity and authorization for employment in the United States.
- If you are hired into this classification in a temporary position you will not be eligible for the benefits.