The Tax Director shall be directly responsible to the Tribal Council for the direction, control, and operation of the Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Tax Department. The Tax Director will be responsible for establishing the Tax Department, which includes formulating all department administrative policies, processes, tax programs, along with defining all staffing and scope of work
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the development, execution and/or evaluation of program policies in support of administering taxes as prescribed by law and for administrative services to the Tax Department, including data processing, accounting, records management, publications, collection of delinquent accounts, personnel services, and budget and property control.
- Provide an integrated, coordinated, and uniform system of tax administration and revenue collection for the Tribe, including a coordinated electronic method of collecting all taxes.
- Serve as the highest-level technical resource to departmental management and legal staff on matters concerning audit, compliance, tax, or fee policy issues.
- Serve as principal technical advisor who independently reviews and negotiates resolution to the most sensitive taxpayer issues and complaints requiring a high level of technical knowledge in all tax and fee programs administered by the department
- Assist other departments, agencies, or institutions of the Tribe, state, local, Indian tribal and federal governments in the furtherance of its purposes, objectives, and programs.
- Advise, and make recommendations to, the Tribal Council on all matters concerning its objectives.
- Develop department staffing model to meet short and long-term business plans.
- Cultivates a productive work environment by setting clear expectations, being consistent, trustworthy, and by applying fair guidelines and rules. Encourages open communication and input from staff.
DESIRED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrated knowledge of issues related to CA State and tribal taxation such as dual taxation, tax assessments, exemptions, reporting and tax avoidance.
- Demonstrated knowledge of CA state and U.S federal laws, rules, policies and procedures relating to tax issues affecting departmental programs.
- Demonstrated experience overseeing major Tax programs, including experience working with CA Franchise Tax Board or CDTFA.
- Demonstrated experience with large scale automated systems and a sound knowledge of the role of automation in the tax operations environment
- Knowledge of the organization and functions of the California State Tax departments including the organization and practices of the Franchise Tax Board or CDTFA
- Ability to plan, organize and direct the work of multidisciplinary professional and administrative staff; analyze administrative policies, organization, procedures, and practices.
- Strong leadership and staff development skills, including the ability to set a compelling vision, inspire change, encourage efficiencies, mentor others, and build effective working teams.
You may apple by sending your resume to Brian Estenson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.