We are looking for a Interpreter- Court Clerk to support our Municipal Court Department in records maintenance and control, preparation of a trial calendar, performance of courtroom clerical functions and accounting for cash receipts and disbursements. Communicating orally with others in order to give and receive information in a courteous manner, using tact, discretion, initiative and independent judgement within established guidelines,Typing and operation of a computer keyboard in order to enter and retrieve data.
Provide simultaneous and/or consecutive interpretation (English/Spanish and Spanish/English
) for testimony, instructions, interviews, conversation, pleas, etc. during or related to court proceedings. Sight and written translations of legal documents, signs and procedures to be used by the Municipal Court. Performs a wide range of administrative, clerical and data and record control duties to conduct the daily work of the Court.
About North Las Vegas:
Established in 1946, the City of North Las Vegas is the third largest city in Nevada and is one of the fastest growing cities in the state. Serving a community of roughly 260,000 people (and growing!), North Las Vegas is comprised of a diverse group of residents, businesses and employees dedicated to positively influencing the community and making an impact!
The North Las Vegas team is a caring and fun group of individuals who take a vested interest in each other's success. We lift one another up and challenge each other to rise to the occasion each and every day. We do whatever it takes to ensure that vital resources and services that our residents and businesses depend on, are provided in an efficient and effective manner. Community, accountability and teamwork is everything to us and at the heart of all that we do. We are proud of our accomplishments and work diligently to strategically align operations with the City's objectives.
Benefits and Perks:
(Many of our positions offer the following)
- 4-day, 36-hour workweek, Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. (May vary by position specific needs).
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental and Vision insurance plan option, with affordable low cost alternative plans available.
- 13 paid holidays off annually.
- 3 weeks of annual leave accrued each year (up to applicable maximums).
- 3 weeks of sick leave accrued each year (up to applicable maximums).
- Employer-paid participation in the Public Employees' Retirement System of Nevada (PERS).
- Employer-paid Term Life and AD&D insurance for employees, plus dependent life insurance.
- Deferred compensation 457(b) Plan, which is a government deferred compensation plan similar to a 401(k) plan. It offers both pre-tax and after-tax savings and investment options.
- Annual merit increase program based on performance evaluations and/or contractual wage increases.
- Complimentary access to our fully equipped fitness center at City Hall.
Key Focus of the Role:
(Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following)
- Receives, records, tallies, and processes fines, restitution payments, and fees accurately and correctly recording applicable information on the citation.
- Services defendants as they exit the courtroom following court hearings by receiving monies, assigning court dates, providing documents and information as ordered by the presiding Judge.
- Assist non English speaking persons in any matter related to court proceedings and facilities.
- Performs a variety of clerical duties relating to court records and accounting for funds of the Municipal Court.
- Obtains records on individuals using a computer.
- Maintains file for accounts receivable cases; sending past due notices; and processing suspension forms for nonpayment of fines and costs.
- Receives, logs and records various legal documents. May include reading for completeness and accuracy and rejecting improper documents.
- Provides information to the public and other parties to court proceedings regarding the process and court schedules. Assist the public in completing forms without offering legal advice.
- Complete witness sheets for cases.
- Enters regional and highway patrol citations into computer, prints dockets.
- Updates and maintains all work program cases; approves clients for enrollment and verifies their completed hours with help of responsible agency.
- Uses computer to enter and retrieve reports so that materials can be easily located; searches for and locates missing reports and files; retrieves files and cases.
- Interacts with defendants, attorneys and other persons requesting information or documents related to warrants, court cases or other related matters.
- Processes warrants by logging receipt of warrants, creating and labeling fines, posting required information, compiling documents, entering information on the computer.
- Open, sorts, and appropriately processes mail according to instructions and type of transaction.
- Answers phone and responds to general inquires about various court procedures.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Qualifications and Attributes:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- One (1) year of office experience in clerical, accounting, legal or other related clerical field and a minimum of two (2 ) years of increasingly responsible experience in interpreting and translating in an official capacity for a recognized public or private agency .
Equivalency: Five(5) years of office experience in clerical, accounting, legal or other related clerical field and a minimum of two (2) years of increasingly responsible experience in interpreting and translating in an official capacity for a recognized public or private agency may be substituted for the education and experience required above.
- Nevada Certified Court Interpreter credential is required on the date of application and must be maintained for duration of employment in this position.
- Must possess a valid state driver's license and maintain satisfactory motor vehicle record and ability to obtain appropriate Nevada state driver's license within required time frame.
- Oral Panel Interview: Weighted at 100%
- People Group: Teamster Non Supervisor
- Grade: TNE-16
- Minimum Salary: 21.15
- Maximum Salary: 35.65
- Pay Basis: HOURLY