The Executive Director of Business Operations and Finance reports to the Dean of Extended Learning (EL) and Global Programs and Services, and provides leadership, management, planning and directions to the unit's business operations and finance. Extended Learning and Global Programs and Services is a large, complex, and highly innovative component of California State University San Marcos (CSUSM) that is led by an executive team composed of the Dean, three Associate Deans (responsible, respectively, for academic programming and planning, student success and enrollment, and global programs and services), and by the Executive Director who is responsible for the unit's effective business operations and financial management. The Executive Director is the senior administrative officer in EL with responsibility for effective operation of administrative services, information systems and services, financial management, and compliance with CSU, CSUSM, and relevant State and Federal administrative policy and practice, administrative processes improvement, external contracts and agreements, internal MOUs, CSU Special Pay, purchasing, and all facilities used and operated by EL in all locations.
The Executive Director maintains an extensive network of working relationships within the larger university and the overall California State University system. The Executive Director is responsible for keeping EL operating effectively, in compliance with all relevant policies and best practices, providing exceptional internal support services related to financial stability. The Executive Director innovates to keep EL at the forefront of administrative practices. The Executive Director plans financial analysis with great attention to detail and is proactive in monitoring the effectiveness of administrative services and the stability of the operation's financial performance. The Executive Director is an effective manager of support staff and is skilled at maintaining a positive and productive working environment. The Executive Director works in close collaboration with the Associate Deans and Dean of EL to lead EL forward with insight, creativity, and commitment to excellence in support of the EL and university mission, purpose, and vision in a fiscally responsible way. The executive director is responsible for the excellence of the EL business operation and administrative practices. Performance in this role is evaluated primarily on this core work.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS:
Extended Learning Budget and Operations Staff
• Budget and Operations Manager (1)
• Faculty and Students Contract Specialist (1)
• Faculty Contract Specialist (1)
• Student Finance Specialist (1)
• Accounting Technician (1)
REQUIREMENTS OF POSITION:
1. List education and experience required
• Master's degree in accounting, finance, business or a closely related field and minimum of seven (7) years of experience in accounting and financial administration, business operations, budget development/maintenance, systems development, project management and policy compliance, which includes a minimum of three years (3) of experience in a senior level administrative role with direct responsibility for staff management, business operations and finance; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience in an academic setting, ideally CSU and/or Continuing Higher Education.
• Demonstrated record of accomplishment providing successful administrative leadership for a unit/department/college in a large comprehensive university.
• Experience managing self-support units in a college of university and/or continuing higher education units is a significant advantage.
• Managerial experience at a senior level in a large and complex organizational context.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled
San Marcos, California