Johnson County Mental Health Center Transportation Department is currently looking for anOn-Call Peer Support Driverto work in the Transportation Department at the Shawnee location. Thesuccessful candidate will demonstrate recovery expertise in mental illness by successfully supporting others in their recovery and have the ability to demonstrate their own efforts at recovery. The candidate must self-identify as a present or former client of mental health services. This posting will remain open untilfilled. Job duties include the following:
- Transports clients of JCMHC and JCDS to/from work, school and medical appointments utilizing county-owned sedans; arrives at destinations on time and safely while following all traffic laws; communicates vehicle/passenger concerns to dispatchers/supervisors
- Utilizes in-vehicle software to navigate assigned routes; utilizes pre-trip maintenance/safety checklists to ensure vehicles are fueled, cleaned/safe etc; manages in-vehicle software which tracks rides and payments; transports vehicles to/from maintenance for scheduled service
- Serves as a role model for clients by identifying as a client of mental health services in an effort to help clients develop skills for coping and managing psychiatric symptoms.
- Teaches, coaches and provides guidance and support on various skills to enable productive lives of individuals; assists individual and family members to identify strategies or treatment options and participates in the development and modification of plans to regain ability to make independent choices and promote coping skills; develops and maintains a positive and effective relationship with service recipients, families, and other service providers, serving as the main point of contact.
- Provides, assists with, or coaches individuals on personal care needs with limited supervision; provides crisis interventions, including physical intervention and restraint to ensure the safety of individuals; monitors and/or administers medication as prescribed; monitors and documents mental and physical condition of individuals.
High School diploma or equivalent and one year of experience working in a human services field and KS or MO driver's license with acceptable driving record are required.
Education can substitute for experience.
Certification in peer support preferred.
Johnson County Government requires reference/background screening for all positions. Specified criteria may vary by Department/Agency.
Physical, Environmental, and Special Working Conditions:
Comfort and ability to drive in all weather conditions
All County employees may be called upon to assist other departments/agencies in a declared emergency situation.
Intermediate (5% to 25%)
Health, Welfare, and Social Services