The Position PLEASE NOTE:
This recruitment is for Entry-Level and Lateral Police Officers. This recruitment will close at 11:59 PM PST on December 31, 2021
This is a sworn law enforcement position with an emphasis on community policing, focused on crime prevention, organizational excellence, community engagement, and inclusion. Police officers work with diverse communities within the City of Portland to preserve life, maintain human rights, protect property, and promote individual responsibility as well as community commitment. A police officer functions and communicates effectively within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities, and cultural backgrounds. The Portland Police Bureau provides excellent training, pay, and benefits. Officers serve the community in many unique and rewarding ways.
New officers will work various shifts and geographical areas as assigned. Additional information is available at https://www.joinport
la ndpolice.com/faq/. External applicants start at the entry salary rate, with the exception of individuals who qualify as Lateral Police Officer applicants.
The Portland Police Association (PPA) represents this classification. To view this labor agreement, please go to https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bhr/27840
and click on the appropriate link. To Qualify ENTRY LEVEL POLICE OFFICER QUALIFICATIONS
At the time of application:
LATERAL POLICE OFFICER QUALIFICATIONS
- Must be 20.5 years old.
- Must possess a High School Diploma or GED.
- Must possess a High School Diploma or GED.
- Must have three (3) years of continuous service in another police agency as a sworn police officer from a recognized state, county, or city (municipal) agency, to include sworn Indian tribal police, AND must have been employed there within the last two (2) years.
- Military police, corrections officers and parole/probation officers DO NOT QUALIFY as Lateral Police Officer applicants. Federal law enforcement experience will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
must meet each of the following conditions:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen within one (1) year of date of hire, or a nonimmigrant legally admitted to the United States under a Compact of Free Association https://cann.us/work/hb-2594/ . Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application. Application for U.S. citizenship requires five (5) years of residency.
- Must possess a valid driver's license (in current state of residence) at the time of application. Have no more than three (3) traffic (moving) convictions in the last three (3) years.
- Have no felony convictions.
- Have no convictions for crimes involving domestic violence.
- Have not used any marijuana products within the last year.
- Have no dishonorable discharge from any branch of military service.
- Cannot have any offensive forms of body art or tattoos. Tattoos above the collar or on the hand may be considered on a case-by-case basis. More information can be found at https: //www.joinport la ndpolice.com/faq/.
- Must have vision correctable to 20/30. Additional information on medical requirements can be found on the DPSST F-2 form.
The Recruitment Process WRITTEN EXAM (Pass/Fail)
- Experience and/or ability to incorporate the City of Portland's core values to guide actions. To learn more about the City's core values, please see below or click here .
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 per City/State mandate. If unvaccinated, exception process must be completed by date of hire. Exception guidelines/process can be accessed here: Exception Request Process for COVID-19 vaccine
- Lateral applicants and applicants who possess a bachelor's degree or will have a bachelor's degree by the time of hire are NOT required to take the National Testing Network (NTN) Frontline Written Exam.
- All other applicants requiring the NTN are encouraged to schedule and complete the NTN Frontline Written Exam prior to applying to the City of Portland. Test and scheduling information can be found at https://nationaltestingnetwork.com/publicsafetyjobs/ . While completion of NTN testing is not required in order to apply, applicants for whom NTN testing is required must pass all three (3) components of the exam prior to any offer of employment. The following minimum scores for the NTN are required: reading ability test- 70, writing ability test- 70, and video-based human relations - 65. NTN scores are valid for one (1) year. Applicants who have valid NTN scores from prior testing are encouraged to submit their NTN scores through the NTN portal.
- While the expectation is that candidates complete the NTN Frontline Written Exam, the City of Portland reserves the right to use a substitute written exam in rare instances or extraordinary circumstances.
- Additional information can be found at https:// www.joinportlandpolice.com/entry#phase-1-the-test.
Additional Information Once you are placed on an eligible list, you will be notified by email of additional steps in the Police Officer selection process, which include:
- Applicants must complete the online application and supplemental questionnaire. Applicants who are disqualified based on their supplemental questionnaire responses will not be able to reapply for the position for six (6) months and may have their eligibility impacted, SO PLEASE READ AND UNDERSTAND THE QUESTIONS PRIOR TO ANSWERING. Please review your answers before submitting the application.
- Veterans' Preference. Upload and submit with your application a copy of your DD214/DD215 and, if applicable, a copy of a Department of Veterans Affairs letter stating your disability rating with your application. You must also check the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment cycle in which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted with your application .
- Personal History Statement
- Pre-Psychological Exam (Personal History Questionnaire)
- Physical Ability Test (Pass/Fail - if required; possibly waived due to Covid-19 concerns)
- In-depth background investigation and required documents - Further information can be found at https: //www.joinportlandpolice.com/do c uments/ .
- Command Interview Panel (Pass/Fail)
- Qualifying Psychological Exam And Qualifying Medical Exam
Applicants placed on the eligible list will advance in the process based on the order in which their applications were received. This recruitment will close at 11:59 PM PST on December 31, 2021.
All applications for this position must be submitted online and in possession of the Bureau of Human Resources no later than this date and time.
If you need any assistance, please contact our recruiting officers at (503) 823-0333 or PPBRecruiter@portlandoregon.gov
or https: //www.joinportlandpolice.com/con
Follow us on Facebook at https://www
.faceboo k.com/joinpdxpolice. Work Status:
Non-citizen Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.Veterans' Preference:
If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, submit with your application a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Department of Veterans Affairs letter stating your disability. In addition, check the appropriate box where indicated to identify yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment for which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted with your application
If you identify as a person with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer:
It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.Did you know?
The City of Portland offers "How to Apply For Jobs at the City of Portland" classes. These classes are free and review best practices when applying for positions with the City. Follow the link for the most recent list of scheduled dates: www.bit.ly/howtoapplyclass
. Contact Information
Teresa Dahrens, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
Teresa.Dahrens@portlandoregon.gov Additional Information Regarding This Recruitment:
Additional information regarding this recruitment can be found athttp://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/60019
Additional information on the recruitment process can be found at http s://www
The Covid-19 pandemic has impacted portions of this process, including the Physical Ability Test. As a result, processes are being adapted to address public health concerns and government-imposed restrictions.
There is not a consolidated or compressed testing process for out-of-state applicants.Frequently Asked Questions: http://www.joinportlandpolice.com/faq/Why work for the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. The successful candidate must be able to work in a culturally and gender diverse workplace. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today. City of Portland Core Values:Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here
.A Career with the City of Portland offers many Employee Benefits
. This summary outline various benefits programs. Actual benefits may vary depending on the bargaining unit and employment status.
The City of Portland offers a comprehensive benefits package that is competitive with other private and public sector employers. More detailed information can be obtained by calling the Benefits & Wellness Office at 503-823-6031.General Wages & Benefits InformationHealth Care (Medical, Vision, and Dental)
- A choice of two medical/vision plans and two dental plans.
- Coverage is available to benefits-eligible employees, their spouse/domestic partner, and eligible dependent children up to age 26.
- For full-time employees, the City pays 95% of the cost of coverage; employees pay 5%.
- Part-time employee costs are pro-rated based on the number of hours in the employee's regular work schedule.
- Weekly paid time to participate in wellness activities
- On-site fitness center locations and classes
- Discounts to local fitness clubs
- Smoking cessation benefits
- Chronic care coaching programs
- Worksite wellness screenings and flu shots
- Basic life insurance at no cost to full-time employees.
- Levels of coverage are based on bargaining units, employment status, and/or annual salaries.
- Supplemental life insurance - employees may purchase up to $500,000 for themselves
- Up to $300,000 for their spouse or domestic partner.
- Up to $25,000 for dependent children.
- This coverage is portable upon retirement or separation. There are some limitations on the coverage level.
- Depending on your bargaining unit, you may be eligible for Basic Long-Term disability coverage, which will pay up to 40% of your basic monthly earnings up to $3,333 per month.
- The benefit is available 60 days from the onset of the approved disability or exhaustion of sick leave, whichever is later.
- Preexisting condition limitations do apply.
- Eligible employees may also purchase additional long-term disability coverage, which, in addition to the Basic Long-Term disability coverage described above, pays another 20% of basic monthly earnings up to $1,667.
Employee Assistance Plan
- Depending on your bargaining unit, you may be eligible for Basic Short-Term disability coverage, which will pay up to 40% of pre-disability earnings.
- The benefit is available after a 14-day waiting period and can continue for 90 days.
- Preexisting condition limitations do apply.
- Eligible employees may also purchase additional short-term disability coverage, which, in addition to the Basic Short-Term disability coverage described above, pays another 20% of basic monthly earnings up to $1,667.
Flexible Spending Accounts
- The Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) provides confidential counseling services for employees and eligible dependents.
- The plan provides for up to five (5) free visits per year.
- The Medical Expense Reimbursement Plan (MERP) allows you to make annual pre-tax contributions to your account to pay for eligible medical/dental/vision expenses that are not paid by your health insurance (deductibles, co-pays, etc.).
- The Dependent Care Account Program (DCAP) allows you to pay for your eligible dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars. The maximum allowable contribution is $5,000 per year.
- Membership in the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS)/Oregon Public Service Retirement Plan (OPSRP).
- The City currently pays the employee's share of the retirement contribution.
- Employees who are OPSRP members are vested after five years of contributions or when they reach age 65 (age 60 for police and fire).
Option to contribute a portion of your earnings on a pre-tax basis to the City's Deferred Compensation Program
. Paid Leave
Family Medical Leave
- One hundred twelve (112) hours of vacation each year initially. This accrual will increase over time.
- Sick leave typically accrues up to a maximum rate of one hundred four (104) hours per calendar year.
- Nine (9) paid holidays each year.
- Four (4) personal days accrue each year.
In accordance with federal and state law and the City policy for family medical leave,
the City grants family and medical leave to eligible employees for certain family and medical-related reasons.Other Benefits
- City's TRIP Reduction Incentive Program (for transportation options)
Closing Date/Time: 12/31/2021 11:59 PM Pacific