About Cal Poly Pomona
Cal Poly Pomona is among the best public universities in the West and is nationally ranked for helping students achieve economic success. As an inclusive polytechnic university, we cultivate success through experiential learning, discovery, and innovation. Our graduates are ready to succeed in the professional world on Day 1. As a polytechnic university, Cal Poly Pomona utilizes a technology-enhanced, learn-by-doing approach to education. Students enjoy endless opportunities for involvement in a vibrant and diverse community. Nowhere else can students ride an Arabian horse, practice on a Steinway piano, bring a new product to market, and build a liquid-fueled rocket.
About the Position
The Director of Analytics for Student Success & Equity provides data-informed decisions through statistical and data science models to inform equity minded practices and interventions. In this position, the Director of Analytics will lead campus efforts on predictive analytics for student success by engaging with stakeholders across the university, combine disparate data sources to produce a more holistic view of the student experience, highlight the narratives of minoritized populations, and identify institutional structures that can impede students from succeeding. The Director will synthesize qualitative and quantitative findings, provide actionable recommendations, and present research and insights based on analytics frameworks to campus leadership.
As the Director of Analytics for Student Success & Equity, you will:
• Lead efforts on predictive analytics for student success and retention across the university for all students across demographic identities, academic colleges, and co-curricular programming activities.
• Conduct research, build models, interpret results, and make recommendations related to the assessment and evaluation of student success with an emphasis on equity gap data.
• Work closely with the campus EAB Navigate team to understand, utilize, and make recommendations for enhancements to the predictive models within the EAB platform.
• Leverage relevant institutional student performance data, statistics, trend analysis, and other data analysis techniques, to develop, test, refine, and validate independent predictive models and inform the work of campus support resources for student success leading to actionable insights.
• Drive the execution of creative data analytic approaches leading to actionable outcomes across functional areas by defining and calculating complex metrics to be analyzed.
• Work on all aspects of creating predictive intelligence including collecting requirements, establishing analytics work plan, collecting data for exploration, cleansing data, identifying key data features, selecting algorithms, building, and testing models, and iteratively improving solutions.
• Develop data driven, insightful analyses to answer questions, with a focus on cause-and-effect relationships, address challenges and identify opportunities, and provide actionable recommendations.
• Synthesize qualitative and quantitative solutions into actionable recommendations and frequently communicate those findings to student success partners.
• Present research findings and analytics framework to campus leadership, student support and advisors, an analytics partners at CPP and the CSU Chancellor's Office. Prepare presentations for various audiences and media.
• Interpret complex data analyses by applying findings to contextual settings. Develop insights, reports, and presentations telling a compelling story to enable and influence decision making; participate in peer reviews; and provide context related to data interpretations and/or limitations as appropriate.
• Manage predictive analytics team including the oversight of projects and the review and validation of findings.
• Serve as a mentor to help build IRPA's analytics team's technical and contextual proficiencies and promote professional development and ensure documentation of all projects are developed and maintained through each cycle.
• Provide campus partners with contextual understanding of student success data and equity gap data and assist in creating a culture of data-informed decision making.
• Partner with campus units to identify and compile relevant data for equity gap and student success analysis and analytics related to the priorities set by leadership.
• Serve on campus committees related to student success and equity gaps to assess campus data needs and promote usage and understanding.
• 4 years of experience as an institutional researcher, economist, quantitative researcher, business operations analyst, data scientist, or another closely related profession
• The following experiences in a professional or higher education environment:
o Two years applying statistical or mathematical concepts
o Two years using advanced statistical or data science models while analyzing large datasets
o Two years building models from start to finish and interpreting complex data analytics by applying findings to contextual settings
• Ability to manage highly complex projects
• Demonstrated experience with the full implementation of large-scale projects
• Ability to apply and utilize various statistical and research methods including modern machine learning tools
• Ability to collect and analyze data and information; solve problems and to draw conclusions from visual exploration and analysis of the data collected
• A Master's degree from an accredited university in education, analytics, business, public administration, computer science, social science, or other relevant discipline with a quantitative concentration.
• More than five years of demonstrated experience in the field of institutional
planning/research/information management or analytics and reporting.
• Experience in a large, complex, and diverse public higher education institution.
• Experience with student success programs including assessment and data analysis.
• Experience with educational data and student information data specifically
Salary Range and Benefits
• Salary Range: $115k - $125k
• Flexible Work Schedule/Telecommuting
• An array of health plans that include prescription drug coverage
• Dental, Vision, and Health Insurance
• CalPERS Retirement Plan
• Union representation
• Educational benefits for qualifying dependents
• Income protection benefits including life insurance and disability
• Paid leave programs
• Employee Assistance Programs
• Personal and professional development opportunities
• Employee wellbeing initiative
To see envision your life at Cal Poly Pomona visit:
Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer
Cal Poly Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The university subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and covered veteran status.
To read the full position description and apply, visit our careers page at: https://www.cpp.edu/jobs/index.shtml
For questions regarding this position or the benefits of joining Cal Poly Pomona University, please contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled