Description: Revised Position Summary
University Relations and Development at San Diego State University is committed to upholding, as a foundational belief, a supportive working environment of inclusion that values, honors, and respects, all members of our team and the University community. We strive to engage in and promote the fair and equitable recruitment and training of URAD staff members, develop meaningful relationships with all groups in our diverse campus community, and share philanthropic stories that highlight the impact of and opportunity for diverse giving by our SDSU community. University Relations and Development firmly believe that an inclusive environment facilitates critical and creative thinking, and that differences in identities, values, beliefs, and perspectives are fundamental to our mission of generating philanthropic support for the university and its student body.
University Relations and Development (URAD) shares the university's vision and mission underscored in the 2020 five-year strategic plan. The plan identifies five strategic priorities including: Becoming a Premier Public Research University: A New Kind of Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI); Resilience. Designed to Thrive; We Are SDSU; Equity and Inclusion in Everything We Do; and Students at Our Core.
Units of URAD work together to create enduring relationships with alumni, parents, donors, students, and the community, to generate private support for SDSU students, faculty, and a diverse number of programs. URAD handles a range of services encompassing stewardship, events, gift administration, communications, and more.
Under the general supervision of the Senior Director of Development, College of Engineering, the Gift Officer, College of Engineering is a fundraising professional primarily responsible for working with the Development team to plan and strategically implement fundraising efforts (seeking both outright and planned gifts) for current campus engineering-oriented priorities and other related academic programs. Priority programs and academic areas may include but are not limited to the thirty student organizations, research efforts, faculty chairs and professorships, scholarships, Mechanical Engineering, Women in Engineering, Troops to Engineers, MESA, Corporate Partners Program, emeriti faculty, in addition to other engineering initiatives and ongoing needs The position identifies, cultivates, solicits and provides stewardship related to prospects at the $25,000 and under level from alumni, friends, faculty, staff, foundations, and corporations.
For more information regarding University Relations and Development click here
This is a full-time (1.0 time-base), benefits-eligible, at-will position. This position is designated exempt under FLSA and is not eligible for overtime compensation. Standard SDSU work hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., but may vary based on operational needs. Education and Experience
Licenses and Certifications Required
- A bachelor's degree in a relevant field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 2 years of entry-level development, community relation, public relations, or sale experience
- Knowledge of general practices, methods, and procedures related to development
- Ability to attend events during non-business hours
A valid California driver's license is required Preferred Qualifications
- Financial and biographical database experience
- Demonstrated experience in upgrading donors.
- Campaign experience.
- Experience working in higher education
Compensation and Benefits
- A high degree of interest in and commitment to higher education and philanthropy
- Ability to work well amid an environment of change
- High level of customer service, attention to detail, exceptional follow-through
- Effectiveness and persuasiveness in both written and oral communication
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with colleagues, faculty, staff, students, alumni, corporate executives, and the general public
- Ability to articulate a compelling case for annual support of a public institution of higher education
San Diego State University will offer a competitive salary based on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate. San Diego State University also offers a rich benefits package
- Extensive Leave benefits: 14 paid holidays, 24 vacation days, and 12 sick days per year;
- Retirement security through a CalPERS defined benefit pension (with CalPERS and UC Retirement Plan reciprocity) and retiree healthcare benefits;
- An array of health, dental, and vision coverage at no-cost or low-cost to the employee; and
- California State University system fee reduction program (fee waiver) for the employee or their qualified dependent
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply quickly. SDSU will conduct an expedited search and selection process to fill this critical position. Applications will be considered upon submission. This position is open until filled.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
San Diego State University is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions (e.g., H-1B visa). Applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Offers of employment are contingent upon the presentation of documents that demonstrate a person's identity and authorization to work in the United States, which are consistent with the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
SDSU is a smoke-free campus. For more information, please click here
SDSU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.
Applicants with disabilities and applicants who require assistance completing an application may contact Casie Martinez at email@example.com
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled