Description: Building Service Engineer
(Building Service Engineer) This is a Full-Time Temporary Position from July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2022 MB2021-SA2707
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement
, California State University, Monterey Bay
(CSUMB) is a mid-sized comprehensive baccalaureate and masters granting university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives through a focus on student success and engagement through project-based learning, service learning in its regional community, and the promotion of multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond campus. CSUMB is both a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) and an Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and has a vibrant, diverse student body of over 7,600 students.
The university's Strategic Plan
prioritizes inclusive excellence through recruiting and investing in the development of a diverse body of faculty, staff, and administrators. CSUMB's sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral by 2030. The university's faculty and staff, many of whom live in the East Campus housing development, appreciate living and working so close to the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, CSUMB offers excellent benefits, including access to below market rate campus housing and competitive salaries for faculty and staff. PURPOSE :
Under the general supervision of the Associate Director of Facilities Maintenance & Operations, the Building Service Engineer independently performs maintenance and repair work on a wider range of heating, ventilating, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, refrigeration, air conditioning, and water systems. The incumbent also performs less sophisticated and comprehensive work on complex refrigeration and air conditioning systems. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following :
- Operate, maintain, repair and inspect heating, ventilating, air conditioning, refrigeration and water systems and equipment; test, adjust, and calibrate boiler and air conditioning machinery and mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, and/or microprocessor control instruments; test and chemically treat boiler, condenser, and cooling tower water and water from other systems; maintain, inspect, diagnose and make emergency repairs to natural gas, water, refrigerant, air and oil distribution systems; regularly use features of building automation systems to diagnose and troubleshoot problems in the HVAC systems while optimizing energy usage; monitor building automation systems data and adjust system accordingly; respond to service requests to adjust air flow, temperature and humidity balances for individual rooms, building areas or buildings; maintain swimming pools; maintain logs of maintenance and repairs using manual and computerized record-keeping systems; and may instruct and lead semi-skilled or unskilled assistants.
- Repair and replace bearings, shafts, seals, rings and electrical wiring and install central system parts, gauges, valves and pipes which requires the application of journey-level skills in one or more of the applicable trades.
- Rotate through various shift assignments at stations either in a central plant or in the utilities centers of individual buildings or campus centers for the operation, service and repair of low, medium or high-speed revolution cogeneration equipment
- Utilizes computer-based maintenance management system (e.g., TMA)
Performs other job-related duties and special projects as assigned. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES : Knowledge :
Work requires thorough knowledge of high and low pressure boilers, and heating, pneumatic, ventilating, air conditioning, refrigeration and other mechanical equipment; thorough knowledge of the methods, tools and materials used in the operation, maintenance and repair of such equipment; general knowledge of ventilation principles, thermal dynamics, and closed water systems; working knowledge of energy management systems including the ability to understand and use system features; and a general knowledge of the applicable state and federal safety codes and regulations pertaining to mechanical and HVAC systems. Abilities:
Must be able to install, operate and repair HVAC equipment and systems; demonstrate a high degree of mechanical skill equivalent to journey-level in one or more related trades such as plumbing, pipe fitting, electrical, or air conditioning; read, interpret and work from blueprints, plans, drawings and specifications; make rough sketches; estimate cost, time and materials of mechanical work; maintain records and retrieve data related to work performed using manual and/or computerized record-keeping systems; prepare standard reports; provide instruction to unskilled and semi-skilled assistants; analyze and respond appropriately to emergency situations; read and write at a level appropriate to the position; and perform arithmetic calculations as required by the position. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS :
These abilities normally would be acquired through two years of journey-level experience in the operation, maintenance and repair of boiler, heating, ventilating, refrigeration and air conditioning equipment and systems or the equivalent combination of formal course work in mechanical technology and hands-on experience. PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS :
5 or more years of experience as a journey-level experience in the operation, maintenance and repair of boiler, heating, ventilating, refrigeration and air conditioning equipment and systems. SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT & POSITION DESIGNATIONS :
PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT :
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
- The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- This position has been designated as a sensitive position with responsibility or access/possession of building master or sub-master keys for building access; and responsibility for operating commercial vehicles, machinery or equipment that could pose environmental hazards or cause injury, illness, or death.
- Must possess and maintain a valid license to drive in the State of California, pass the Defensive Training Class, and be insurable under the University's liability coverage.
- May require occasional evening and/or weekend work.
Required to work indoors and outdoors in University buildings and grounds year-round, including inclement weather. Includes working in the presence of loud noise, vibration, dark and/or confined spaces, moving mechanical parts, automobile exhaust, dust, chemical and paint fumes. Work may involve exposure to hazardous materials, and risk of being exposed to fire and electrical shock. May require travel between campus offices and off-campus locations. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS :
Position requires full range of motion, and a variety of movements necessary to perform strenuous manual labor, including but not limited to lifting and moving moderate sized equipment up to 10 to 50 pounds (moving up to 100 pounds is required rarely). Position requires bending, climbing, reaching, moving heavy objects and equipment, and applying force. Requires use of a video display terminal. POSITION INFORMATION :
- Type of Appointment: Full-Time, Temporary
- Collective Bargaining Unit: Teamsters Local 2010
- Anticipated Campus Hiring Salary: Mid $5,000's/month
- CSU Salary Range
- FLSA Status: Non Exempt
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, dental & vision plans; a fee waiver education program; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 14 paid holidays a year. For more information, visit: CSU Benefits R06
. Additionally, University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability, visit: Employee Housing. APPLICATION PROCEDURE :
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at csumb.edu/jobs
. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned. CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting University Personnel at (831) 582-3389. All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S. GENERAL INFORMATION :
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the Cal State University, Monterey Bay Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at: https://csumb.edu/clery
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. AFFIRMATIVE ACTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER :
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms and strive to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion. We consider qualified applicants for employment for their anticipated contributions and without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled