(Plumber)This is a Full-Time Temporary Position from July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2022MB2021-SA2710
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement
, California State University, Monterey Bay
(CSUMB) is a mid-sized comprehensive baccalaureate and masters granting university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives through a focus on student success and engagement through project-based learning, service learning in its regional community, and the promotion of multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond campus. CSUMB is both a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) and an Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and has a vibrant, diverse student body of over 7,600 students.
The university's Strategic Plan
prioritizes inclusive excellence through recruiting and investing in the development of a diverse body of faculty, staff, and administrators. CSUMB's sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral by 2030. The university's faculty and staff, many of whom live in the East Campus housing development, appreciate living and working so close to the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, CSUMB offers excellent benefits, including access to below market rate campus housing and competitive salaries for faculty and staff. PURPOSE :
Under the general supervision of the Director of Facilities Services and Operations, and the direct supervision of the Lead Plumber; the Plumber is a journey-level skilled trade worker responsible for the full range of skilled plumbing work including the installation, maintenance, inspection, modification, remodel and repair of mechanical plumbing equipment and fixtures for water, gas, oil, steam, sewage, fire sprinkler/prevention, and refrigeration related plumbing systems, including automated plumbing systems. Position makes decisions based upon sound operating and maintenance practices. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following :
Other Functions :
- Maintains, troubleshoots and tests plumbing systems, including backflow prevention devices.
- Assembles, installs and repairs pumps, pipes, fittings, and fixtures; cuts, threads and welds pipes; assembles and install valves, pipe fittings and pipes composed of a variety of metals and materials. Advises on the selection, ordering and storage of plumbing equipment and supplies; inspects completed work for conformance with specifications, requirements and compliance with applicable building and safety codes and regulations.
- Maintains records and retrieves data related to work performed using manual and/or computerized record-keeping systems; prepares standard reports; and consults and works with other trades workers. Maintains a safe and clean work environment, to include assigned tools, equipment, and vehicle in good working order, and enters equipment and service information into computer maintenance management system. Provides instruction and direction to unskilled and semi-skilled assistants; performs all work in accordance with established safety procedures.
- Plans the layout of new or remodeled installations with regards to plumbing
- Inspects related work performed by contractors; estimates cost, time and materials for plumbing projects.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES : Knowledge:
- Consults with and provides support to, and engages in cross training with other Skilled Crafts workers.
- Rotates call back shifts (after-hours) with other Facilities Maintenance staff.
- Safely analyzes and responds to emergency situations
- Communicates through computer e-mail, central computer calendar system, telephone voice mail systems and two-way radio systems.
- May monitor contractor performance and work progress.
- Reads, interprets and works from drawings and specifications.
- Performs other job related duties and special projects as assigned.
Work requires thorough knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the plumbing trade; a base knowledge of the operation of building automation systems; and a thorough knowledge of applicable state and federal health and safety orders and regulations pertaining to the plumbing trade, including the California State Safety Orders of the Division of Industrial Safety and the California State Plumbing codes. Abilities:
Must be able to perform skilled plumbing work on all applicable equipment and systems; perform applicable welding work; obtain necessary backflow prevention licenses; make rough sketches of plumbing installations; read and work from blueprints, plans, drawings and specifications; estimate materials and labor cost of standard plumbing maintenance and repair work; maintain records and retrieve data related to work performed using manual and/or computerized record-keeping systems; provide instruction to unskilled and semi-skilled assistants; analyze and respond appropriately to emergency situations; prepare standard reports; read and write at the level appropriate to the position; and perform arithmetic calculations as required by the position. Incumbents may be required to possess a California Driver's License valid for the operation of any vehicle or equipment they are required to maintain and operate. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS :
Any combination of progressively responsible training and experience which demonstrates achievement journey-level skills equivalent to that acquired through completion of a standard plumber's apprenticeship program. PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS/DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE :
Possession of a valid California Plumber's Certificate, or other certification of Journey level experience. Previous experience in an educational or academic setting. Demonstrated technical literacy, and familiarity with personal computers and word processing software. SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT & POSITION DESIGNATIONS :
PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT :
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
- The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- This position has been designated as a sensitive positon with responsibility or access/possession of building master or sub-master keys for building access.
- Must possess and maintain a valid license to drive in the State of California, pass the Defensive Training Class, and be insurable under the University's liability coverage.
- May require occasional evenings and/or weekend work.
Required to work indoors and outdoors in University buildings and grounds year-round, including inclement weather. Includes working in the presence of loud noise, vibration, dark and/or enclosed spaces, moving mechanical parts, automobile exhaust, dust, chemical and paint fumes. Work may involve exposure to hazardous materials and involves risk of being exposed to fire and electrical shock. Requires travel between campus offices and off-campus locations. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS :
Position required full range of motion, and a variety of movements necessary to perform strenuous manual labor, including but not limited to lifting and moving moderate sized equipment up to 10 to 50 pounds (moving up to 100 pounds is required rarely). Position requires bending, climbing, reaching, moving heavy objects and equipment, and applying force. Requires use of a video display terminal. POSITION INFORMATION :
- Type of Appointment: Full-Time, Temporary
- Collective Bargaining Unit: Teamsters Local 2010
- Anticipated Campus Hiring Salary: Mid $5,000's per month
- CSU Salary Range
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, dental & vision plans; a fee waiver education program; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 14 paid holidays a year. For more information, visit: CSU Benefits R06
. Additionally, University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability, visit: Employee Housing. APPLICATION PROCEDURE :
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at csumb.edu/jobs
. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned. CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting University Personnel at (831) 582-3389. All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S. GENERAL INFORMATION :
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the Cal State University, Monterey Bay Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at: https://csumb.edu/clery
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. AFFIRMATIVE ACTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER :
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms and strive to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion. We consider qualified applicants for employment for their anticipated contributions and without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled