Description Note: This recruitment schedule was amended on June 7, 2021 to extend the Final Filing Date. This recruitment has been changed to "Continuous."
San Mateo County Health - San Mateo Medical Center and its outpatient clinics are seeking experienced Certified Medical Assistants - Spanish Speaking Preferred
to join our care teams. Under direct supervision of licensed staff, Certified Medical Assistants (CMAs) perform a variety of patient care and other services required to treat patients in a health services outpatient or mobile clinic.
San Mateo Medical Center offers comprehensive primary and specialty care for infants, children, teens, adults and seniors in clinics throughout San Mateo County. For more information, please visit https://www.smchealth.org/smmc-guide-clinics
Additionally, some of the current Extra Help vacancies are for the Whole Person Care (WPC) pilot, which engages public and private partners to create efficient and effective processes and programs to benefit our high utilizing and high need Medicaid clients. The pilot's focus is to provide culturally competent patient engagement and support strategies to connect with needed medical, social, and housing services. The pilot's goal is to improve patients' health and well-being through more efficient and effective use of resources that are not covered by Medi-Cal and by providing the right services, at the right time, and at the right place.
The ideal candidate
will have experience in an Ambulatory Care Clinic and documenting in an Electronic Medical Record. Knowledge of working in care teams and patient centered medical home terminology is preferred, but not required.The current vacancies are in:
- Coastside Clinic , located at 225 South Cabrillo Highway, Suite 100A, Half Moon Bay, CA 94019.
- Daly City Health Center , located at 380 90th Street, Daly City, CA 94015.
- Daly City Youth Health Center , located at 350 90th Street, Daly City 94015.
- Fair Oaks Health Center , located at 2710 Middlefield Road, Redwood City, CA 94063.
- Main Campus hospital and clinics , located at 222 W. 39th Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94403.
- Mental Health Primary Care Clinics at Main Campus (San Mateo) and Daly City Health Center.
- South San Francisco Clinic , located at 306 Spruce Avenue, South San Francisco, CA 94080.
- Whole Person Care , located in all above sites.
The current vacancies are Regular vacancies
and Extra Help vacancies
. Future vacancies may include extra-help, limited term, unclassified, and regular classified positions.Extra Help
- Extra-help positions are short-term employment for up to 1040 hours which is equivalent to about six months; however, employment might end sooner depending on the needs of the hiring departments. Extra-help assignments are at-will and the employee is paid on an hourly basis. Some extra help positions are eligible for benefits under the Affordable Care Act. Extra-help workers are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the extra-help assignment.Term
- Term positions are designated for a specific and limited period of time, anywhere from 6 months to a maximum of 3 years depending on the assignment. Benefits package for term positions are similar to regular positions EXCEPT for retirement. Term employees receive a 401A retirement package and are not eligible for retiree health benefits or a defined benefit pension.Unclassified
- Unclassified positions are at-will for a limited duration, typically associated with grant or other special funding. These positions are not covered by San Mateo County Civil Service Rules; and there is no formal probation period. The following are the same for classified and unclassified positions: salary, increases and other forms of compensation; accrual of sick leave, vacation, overtime, holiday and leaves of absence; health, dental, vision, long & short term disability, and retirement.Compensation
Medical Services Assistants II who are assigned to the clinics and perform advanced patient care duties as defined in the classification specification shall receive a differential of 6.2% in addition to all other compensation. NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified, and regular classified vacancies for MSA II - Option 2: Outpatient Care.
Examples Of Duties Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
With additional training and/or certification(s), some employees may perform the following duties under conditions required by code and department policy:
- Accurately take and record the condition, respiration, pulse, temperature and blood pressure of patients; record other pertinent information as observed or measured.
- Apply non-sterile dressings and administer non-medicated treatments under the supervision of a registered nurse, licensed physician, surgeon, podiatrist, nurse practitioner or physician assistant.
- Carry out rehabilitation procedures as directed by therapists; perform a range of motion body movement with/for patients; position and exercise patients.
- Assist in therapeutic milieu programs.
- Advise patients on the use of restorative equipment.
- Observe and practice proper isolation techniques.
- Operate various types of sterilization equipment.
- Transport specimens, medical records and related items.
- Enter and retrieve a variety of information in automated systems.
- Greet patients at clinics and escort patients.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Perform injections including immunizations.
- Perform finger stick tests of all types including glucose testing.
- Perform skin tests including PPDs.
- Perform venipuncture and blood draws.
- Perform hearing and vision tests.
- Perform waived CLIA tests including dipstick UAs, and pregnancy tests.
- Provide for proper tracking and recording of laboratory tests.
- Take patient histories including risk factors.
- Set up, administer and record the results of EKGs.
- Follow provider orders regarding prescribed treatments including assisting patients with self-administration of medications.
- Teach and counsel patients on a variety of health related subjects as directed.
Qualifications Certification Requirement:
Possession of a Medical Assistant Certificate or a certificate of completion or degree from an accredited medical assisting program is required. A certificate of completion of an approved medical assisting program must be submitted at the time of application. Bilingual Fluency:
Some positions may require bilingual skills. Fluency in both English and Spanish is required to be considered for a bilingual position. Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is: One year of experience in an outpatient clinic or doctor's office as a nurse's assistant or medical assistant. Knowledge of:
- Principles, techniques and procedures specific to area of assignment.
- Principles and techniques in delivering patient care services related to personal hygiene, comfort, treatment, transportation, rehabilitation and physical or psychosocial needs.
- Infection control.
- Diagnostic imaging.
- Safe lifting techniques.
- Theory and practice of total body substance isolation.
- Patients' rights.
- Elder and child abuse, and domestic violence reporting requirements.
- Follow oral and written instructions.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Perform a variety of tasks and activities.
- Develop and maintain empathetic attitudes toward patients.
- Provide assistance in delivering patient care in a medical setting such as bathing, feeding, bed making, dressing, and sterilization of patient care equipment.
- Observe and record patient conditions and vital signs.
- Lift and transport patients and heavy items such as supplies and equipment.
- Work with patients with multiple diagnoses.
- Work with a culturally, socio-economically diverse patient population of varying ages.
These positions may require that employees work weekends, holidays, evenings or other shifts and be on-call.
Application/Examination Anyone may apply.
Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire. A copy of the certificate of completion of an approved medical assisting program must be submitted with the application (a) attaching to the application online or (b) emailing it as a PDF or photo attachment to email@example.com. No exceptions will be made. Failure to do so will result in disqualification from this recruitment.
The examination process will consist of an application screening (pass/fail) based on the candidate's application and responses to the supplemental questions. Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview (weight: 100%). Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations, or further evaluation of work experience may be conducted to group applicants by level of qualification. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California, and applicants must participate at their own expense.IMPORTANT
: Applications for this position will only be accepted online.
If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply"
button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to https://jobs.smcgov.org/
to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date.This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted 5 days in advance in the San Mateo County Human Resources Department. Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.~TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE~Final Filing Date: ContinuousAt the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Analyst: Wendy Young (05202021) (Medical Services Assistant II - F079)