Assistant Golf Professional City of Waco, TX 1 of 3 Assistant Golf Professional Professional / Technical 5230 Physical Type # 1 Head Golf Professional Parks and Recreation - Cottonwood Creek Golf Course 218 Non-Exempt
Under basic supervision, assists with golf course operations at the Cottonwood Creek Golf Course (CCGC) for the Parks and Recreation (P&R) Department; assists with instructional programs, tournaments, merchandising, technical sales and daily operations of the golf facilities and support services.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Assists with clubhouse merchandising, display and inventory control for golf shop; maintains a level of service to keep pace with customer needs and requests; duties may vary according to job assignment.
• Sells golf supplies and equipment; assists customers with technical equipment purchases, repairs and club; promotes and sells golf shop merchandise.
• Conducts group golf lessons and clinics, including player development program; works with golfers on proper form and technique; provides technical advice on the rules of golf.
• Assists with developing and promoting tournaments; assists as Tournament Coordinator as assigned.
• Oversees the operations and maintenance of golf course and related assets; assures that facilities are clean, safe, secure and in compliance with state and federal regulations and City standards.
• Works with the golf course maintenance crews to assure a healthy and manicured golf course.
• Greets golf course guests and provides prompt, courteous and friendly customer services; responds to requests for information and explains rules, policies and procedures.
• Collects greens fees and cart rental fees; accurately accounts for funds received and reconciles cash register sales with daily sales report; prepares accounting reports for receipts and deposits as directed.
• Assigns tee times for daily golf course use and coordinates play.
• Enforces golf rules and City regulations and polices the course to regulate play and the conduct of players.
• Assists with management of food and beverage services.
• Promotes recreation programs and services to local community agencies, advocates and citizen groups.
• Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work- related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• City policies and procedures.
• Policies, rules and regulations governing the conduct and safety of public recreation programs.
• Golf course and turf maintenance principles and techniques.
• Rules, regulations, player responsibilities, sportsmanship, etiquette and traditions of the game of golf.
• Sports merchandising, sales psychology, sports fashion trends and golf equipment trends.
• Golf instruction techniques.
• Playing the game of golf and instructing all phases of the game to others.
• Monitoring operations and assuring golf course facilities are properly and safely maintained.
Assistant Golf Professional City of Waco, TX 2 of 3
• Managing sports competitions and tournaments.
• Interpreting customer needs and solving customer service and public relations issues.
• Assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands.
• Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with Co-workers.
• Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
Associate's Degree in Business, Recreation Management, Marketing, or related field is required; AND three years' experience in golf course management and retail merchandising; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
• Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License.
• Registration as an Apprentice or Member in the Professional Golf Association (PGA) in a Level I and passing of the Playing Ability Test of the PGA is preferred.
• Certification as a Class A member of the Professional Golf Association (PGA) is preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The physical activities of this position include: o Balancing - Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling and walking, standing or crouching on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces. o Stooping - Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist. o Kneeling - Bending legs at knee to come to a rest on knee or knees. o Crouching - Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg and spine. o Reaching - Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction. o Standing - Particularly for sustained periods of time. o Walking - Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another. o Pushing - Using upper extremities to press against something with steady force in order to thrust forward, downward or outward. o Pulling - Using upper extremities to exert force in order to drag, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion. o Lifting - Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position. This factor is important if it occurs to a considerable degree and requires substantial use of upper extremities and back muscles. o Finger Dexterity - Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand as in handling. o Grasping - Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm. o Feeling - Perceiving attributes of objects, such as size, shape, temperature or texture by touching with skin, particularly that of fingertips. o Talking - Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly. o Hearing - Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication and to make the discriminations in sound. o Repetitive motion - Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands and/or fingers.
• The physical requirements of this position o Heavy work. Exerting in excess of 75 pounds of force occasionally and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Assistant Golf Professional City of Waco, TX 3 of 3
• The visual acuity requirements including color, depth perception and field vision. o The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; visual inspection involving small defects, small parts and/or operation of machines (including inspection); using measurement devices; and/or assembly or fabrication parts at distances close to the eyes.
• The conditions the worker will be subject to in this position o The work is performed primarily within outside environmental conditions. o The worker is subject to both environmental conditions. Activities occur inside and outside with temperatures that may be below 32° or above 100° for periods of more than one hour. Consideration should be given to the effect of other environmental conditions, such as wind and humidity. o The worker is subject to hazards including a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals and pesticides.
This job description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. City management has exclusive rights to alter this job description at any time without notice. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an 'at-will' relationship. Job Description Acknowledgement I verify that I have received a copy of my job description by the signature below. As an employee of the City of Waco, I understand the duties and responsibilities assigned to me. Furthermore, I understand that the duties listed above are guidelines and will change over time, as necessary. From time to time, I understand that I may be asked to perform duties and handle responsibilities that are not specifically addressed in my job description.