Position Scope **RECRUITMENT IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED**
Under general supervision, analyzes, reviews and interprets residential construction plans and related documents, including the review of structural, building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical codes, to ensure compliance of proposed construction with applicable codes/ordinances.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties ARE NOT
intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
- Performs technical review of building and construction plans for compliance with City and other applicable building codes, including but not limited to architectural, structural, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and other applicable codes.
- Interprets codes and regulations related to plan review and construction projects; researches and brings forward recommendations on code interpretation for Buckeye residential buildings.
- Provides customer service and information to the general public in matters relating to construction plans and code requirements.
- Verifies receipt of all required documentation from customers, and contacts customers regarding missing items.
- Approves or denies plans as appropriate; signs off on approved plans; obtains signatures for approved plans and legal documents.
- Consults with architects, engineers, designers, contractors and homeowners concerning deficiencies with structural and non-structural requirements; explains codes and regulations.
- Assists building inspectors on difficult or unusual code requirements for residential structures.
- Provides coordination with City Fire Department regarding fire and life safety issues.
- Submits reports detailing items of noncompliance to applicant or agent for correction.
- Maintains records and files associated with examining process and problems encountered.
- Maintains plan review data status on computer; updates status as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Minimum Qualifications & Position Requirements Education and Experience:
Associate's degree in building construction, engineering, architecture, fire science or related field; or one-year experience in plan review, building inspection, fire inspections or construction contracting management or any equivalent combination of education and experience.Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:Knowledge of:
- Municipal policies and procedures.
- Federal, state and local building, zoning, housing and safety laws, rules ordinances, codes and regulations.
- International Building Code, International Plumbing Code, International Mechanical Code, National Electric Code and related state and local regulations and other ICC family of codes.
- Materials and methods of building construction.
- Engineering mathematics and structural engineering principles in the design and installation of mechanical equipment and systems in buildings.
- Structural principles and practices applicable to residential and commercial buildings.
- Principles of record keeping and records management.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers, other agencies and the public.
- Operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of business software.
- Follow written and oral instructions.
- Follow proper plan check techniques to examine workmanship and materials; and detect deviations from plans, regulations, and standard construction practices.
- Read and interpret legal and property descriptions, ordinance and code documents, technical and instructional documents, and building plans, blueprints, and diagrams.
- Interpret and apply federal, state, and local laws, codes, and ordinances.
- Explain code requirements and plan review procedures to persons with various backgrounds.
- Successfully resolve problems with a diverse group of people.
- Work independently and perform tasks involving numerous details.
- Concentrate and be accurate in the complete analysis and interpretation of a set of highly technical construction documents.
- Perform mathematical and engineering calculations relating to the review of construction and building plans and blueprints.
- Operate a motor vehicle.
Additional Information Special Requirements:
Must possess and maintain a valid Arizona Drivers License. Must possess and maintain International Code Council (ICC) Residential Plans Examiner Certification or obtain and maintain within one year of hire. Physical Demands / Work Environment:
Standard office environment with occasional field inspections.Reports To:
Sr. Plans Examiner or designee Supervision Exercised:
Employee Benefits & Wellness
The City offers a comprehensive benefits package to full-time classified and management employees. Part-time classified employees may be eligible for select benefits where defined.
For complete Benefit Plan & Wellness Information, please visit the City website at:
Benefits & Wellness
City benefit plans are subject to change at any time.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous