JOB SUMMARY JOB SUMMARY
This position is responsible for advanced design of residential, commercial, industrial, overhead, underground electric distribution facilities and assisting in management level responsibilities. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DECISION MAKING ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Review the process and procedures for supplying electric power with customers, developers, consultants, contractors, and other government entities.
- Design, implement, and manage large or complex projects from concept through planning and construction to completion. Develop estimates for projects. Assist in development of bid documentation. Develop bills-of-materials.
- Provides input for capital improvement projects, master plans, budgets.
- Mentor, assist and review the work of lesser experienced Electric Engineering Technicians
- Inspect overhead and underground infrastructure installed by SMEU, or its contractors, to ensure installations meet all SMEU's construction specifications and appropriate codes and regulations.
- Notify supervisors and other appropriate personnel of problems encountered in the inspection process.
- Make recommendations for process improvements and provide solutions to problems.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on electrical distribution design issues.
- Interface with other City departments and personnel.
- Provide day to day technical direction.
- Stay abreast of advances in technology.
- Attend management level meetings assigned by Manager including Planning and Development Services' pre-Development meetings. Coordinate and conduct pre-development and pre-construction meetings as needed for SMEU projects.
- Represent the Engineering Service Manager in his/her absent.
- Responsible for writing and reviewing SMEU specifications and standards.
- Assist the Electrical Engineer Service Manager manage Engineering Technicians in their duties.
- Assist the Electrical Engineering Service Manager oversee SMEU construction projects.
This position works under the general supervision of the Electrical Engineering Service Manager KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABLILITIES
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Salary is dependent upon qualifications)
- Knowledge of business and management principles including strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership techniques and budgeting.
- Knowledge of using computer systems, which may include setting up and using hardware and software programs, entering data or processing information.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service.
- Knowledge of SMEU specification and design guidelines.
- Knowledge with construction materials and warehousing methods.
- Knowledge of National Electric Code, National Electric Safety Code specifications, EPA, and OSHA codes.
- Knowledge of basic principles in property rights and easement acquisition.
- Knowledge of construction practices.
- Skilled in time management.
- Skilled in prioritizing and managing changing priorities.
- Skilled in anticipating, identifying, analyzing and resolving conflict and problems.
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to create work orders and purchase orders in program management software.
- Ability to draw and edit in AutoCAD.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to listen and understand information verbally and in writing.
- Ability to anticipate, identify, analyze and resolve conflict and problems.
- Associate's Degree in a related field is required.
- Eight (8) years directly related experience is required.
- Additional two (2) years of directly related experience over the minimum requirement may substitute for each year of college.-,,-
- Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License with an acceptable driving record.
1.Eight years or more at San Marcos Electric Utility's Engineering Department. CORE COMPETENCIES AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Must be able to read/comprehend municipal codes, reference manuals, construction plans, specifications, work orders, and other related engineering documentation.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills are required; must be able to maintain positive working relationships with City departments and personnel, outside agencies, developers, contractors, and the general public
- This position may be required to work more than 40 hours per week and may require serving in an "on call" rotation.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Physical requirements include lifting up to 30 pounds rarely. Subject to sitting frequently; handling, fine dexterity, vision, hearing and talking constantly; standing, walking and foot controls occasionally; lifting, carrying, pushing/pulling, reaching, kneeling, crouching, crawling, bending, twisting, climbing and balancing.
Safety Sensitive Position.
- Working conditions involves exposure to variable and/or extreme weather conditions, vehicle traffic, heavy equipment, general construction hazards, and high voltage electrical currents when conducting field work.