Planner IV (Grade 30, #14842)
Salary $71,266.00 - $124,203.00 Annually
Location Prince George's County, MD
Job Type Career Full-Time
Department Prince George's County Planning
Job Number 14842
Closing 6/1/2021 11:59 PM Eastern
Examples of Important Duties
Under very general direction, the Planner IV performs the most complex level of planning work in the Department, requiring expert proficiency, exceptional qualifications, and a highly developed skillset. The Planner IV serves as a subject matter expert in one or more of the following areas: public facilities planning, land use planning, environmental planning, historic preservation planning, transportation planning, and/or possesses expert knowledge of zoning /legislative review. The Planner IV professionally performs the following major duties and responsibilities:
- Serves on the Zoning and Subdivision Rewrite team to assist in the training of staff, the public, and government officials regarding implementing the County's new Zoning Ordinance and Subdivision Regulations. May become part of a small team tasked with legislative amendments to the new codes to ensure they are implemented as intended.
- Provides expertise on countywide planning matters related to land use, zoning and various long range planning projects such as master plans, sector plans, and functional master plans.
- Analyzes and provides recommendations regarding proposed state and local legislation affecting specific planning programs.
- Conducts studies and/or projects associated with planning and zoning matters, at the request of elected officials, the Planning Board, Planning Director, or Division Chief.
- Provides expert counsel to senior management and professional colleagues on planning issues.
- Works with the Planning Board, Zoning Hearing Examiner, County Council, and/or other high-level public officials to resolve complex planning related policy issues on a regular basis within the area(s) of expertise.
- Assists in the training of staff on the implementation of new/amended policies and/or legislation.
- Reviews, prepares and presents information before the Planning Board and County Council.
- Serves on Commission, County, and State Committees that exist for promoting, reviewing, or coordinating various aspects of the planning function, or whose activities may impact upon the planning function.
- Develops formal and informal partnerships with other recognized government, academic, and private sector organizations within a field of expertise.
- Consults with developers, attorneys, architects, engineers, governmental agencies, and the public about planning issues as needed.
Other duties may include full participation in interdisciplinary planning teams. The ability to understand the relationship between land use plans, policy, and regulations is important. The candidate must possess innovative problem-solving skills, exceptional negotiation skills, strong leadership ability, and be willing to work in a diverse environment. Qualified candidates will be expected to demonstrate superior communication skills and effectively communicate planning principles verbally, graphically, and in writing to a variety of audiences. A combination of public and private experience is preferred.
WHAT YOU SHOULD BRING:
The ideal candidate for the Planner IV position will possess:
- Strong collaboration skills, analytical skills, and excellent technical writing skills.
- Expert knowledge of land use, zoning, master planning process, and the ability to provide accurate explanations concerning various planning policies, requirements and procedures.
- Ability to prepare local legislation and manage it through the legislative process.
- Knowledge of the general principles and practices of historic preservation, environmental planning, transportation, public facilities and community planning pertaining to land use and zoning.
- Demonstrated ability to manage or facilitate complex, multi-year projects involving an array of stakeholders, sensitive political issues and challenges, and diverse communities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders, government agencies and elected officials in a diverse innovative planning environment.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Ability to train other staff on complicated planning principles.
- Knowledge of state and local regulations.
- Knowledge of state and local legislative processes.
- Knowledge of Maryland land use law.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Geography, Architecture, Parks and Recreation, Transportation, Urban Design, Engineering, Environmental Science, Public Policy, Economics or any related field.
- Six (6) years of progressively responsible professional level planning experience that includes project consultation and coordination.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted, which together total ten (10) years.
- Valid driver’s license (depending on area of assignment) in accordance with both State and Commission rules and regulations. Driver’s license must be unencumbered by restrictions, revocations, suspensions, or points that could limit the employee’s ability to drive Commission vehicles or perform driving duties required by the position of assignment.
The Prince George's County Planning Department is currently located in historic Upper Marlboro, Maryland. Free onsite parking is available for employees. In the foreseeable future, the Department will be moving to a newly renovated, state-of-the-art building in Largo, Maryland, conveniently located near Metro and I-495.
The M-NCPPC offers a competitive salary range of $71,266 to $124,203 at the Planner IV level with an excellent benefits package. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. The Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from minorities, females, and persons with disabilities.
Class Specification: Planner IV #2245
Agency The Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission
Address 6611 Kenilworth Avenue, Suite 103
Riverdale, Maryland, 20737Phone301-454-1411
The Prince George's County Planning Department of The Maryland National-Capital Park and Planning Commission is seeking an experienced Planner IV to join our planning team. The Department provides land use planning for the physical development of Prince George's County, Maryland. As the second most populous county in Maryland, Prince George's has a population of approximately 900,000 residents and is home to The University of Maryland at College Park, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, and Joint Base Andrews Air Force Base. Prince George's County is also home to many attractions such as FedEx Field, National Harbor, and Six Flags Amusement Park. If you are interested in working for the Prince George's County Planning Department, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Planner IV position.
The skill to prepare clear, concise and accurate reports, studies, correspondence, policies, procedures and other written materials is an essential requirement for this Planner IV position. With the submission of your application, please provide a sample report that you have written and presented before a governing body (i.e. Planning Board/Commission, Town/City or County Council).
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.