Description Note: This recruitment schedule was amended on May 11, 2021 to extend the Final Filing Date. This recruitment has been changed to "Continuous."
San Mateo Medical Center (SMMC) is a public hospital and clinic system fully accredited by The Joint Commission. SMMC operates outpatient clinics throughout San Mateo County and an acute-care hospital in San Mateo, with a mission to "partner with patients to provide excellent care with compassion and respect." As part of an integrated San Mateo County Health, SMMC serves the healthcare needs of all residents of San Mateo County, with an emphasis on education and prevention.
SMMC Laboratory is looking for experienced Point of Care Clinical Laboratory Scientist to join our team! The Clinical Laboratory Scientist II (Medical Technologist-Point of Care)
will direct the operations of the Point of Care Testing program for SMMC; oversee/conduct all training of point of care testing; maintain and monitor Waived and Moderately complex POC testing , as well as Provider Performed Microscopy for all SMMC locations ; work with SMMC Information Technology Division (IT) to oversee maintain and implement of interfaces for point of care testing devices; conduct training, competency assessments, and quality assurance for testing sites throughout San Mateo County. The current opening is one Regular/Full-Time vacancy for the Day Shift . The ideal candidate will also possess:
- A Bachelor's Degree in Biology, Chemistry, Medical Technology/Clinical Laboratory Science, or another related field.
- Minimum of four years of experience in hospital laboratory as a licensed technologist is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge and understanding of CLIA and Joint Commission requirements and standards.
Examples Of Duties Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform and document proficiency testing in the same manner as patient samples.
- Responsible for directing the work of all POC staff.
- Works with physicians, resident physicians, nurse managers, nurses and others to assure proper functioning of the POCT program.
- Establishes and maintains a system where work and test results are checked for accuracy and timeliness.
- Maintains centralized records of the POCT program, monitors quality, monitors supplies and monitors costs.
- Performs a variety of tests and procedures.
- Establishes and maintains a system for routine and preventative maintenance on equipment and troubleshoots program.
- Works as a general supervisor under the direction of a Medical Director who functions as a technical supervisor of the program and under the general direction of the Laboratory Manager.
- Communicate, liaison, instruct, and dialog appropriately with health care providers, patients, and vendors on issues such as test interpretation, recommendations for alternate testing, instrumentation and problems with specimens/methodology
- Responsible for quality assurance within respective service line.
- Instructs trainees in procedures and techniques of performing tests.
- Performs instrument maintenance according to section procedures.
- Responsible for trainee and staff competency validation.
- Perform all quality control tests required by procedures and prepare quality control reports.
- Maintain records of laboratory results, quality control data, and laboratory procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
: The level and scope of the knowledge, skills and abilities listed below are related to job duties as defined under Distinguishing Characteristics. Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is: Education
: Bachelor's Degree (baccalaureate) in biology, clinical laboratory science, or equivalent major that includes 25 semester or equivalent quarter units of biology courses, which must include genetics and immunology. Experience
: Minimum of two years of experience performing medical laboratory work as a licensed technologist. Licensure/Certification:
- Possession of a Clinical Laboratory Scientist license issued by the State of California; and/or Clinical Immunohematologist Scientist (MTD) license issued by the State of California.
- Current technology, principles and application of medical examinations such as those commonly used in biochemistry, microbiology, blood banking, hematology and or serology.
- Operation and care of laboratory equipment and instrumentation.
- Make independent judgments in evaluating the validity of completed laboratory tests.
- Maintain and analyze quality control programs.
- Follow written and oral directions, procedures or instructions.
- Perform serological, parasitological, bacteriological, immunological, hematology, and biochemical tests.
Application/Examination Anyone may apply.
The examination process will consist of an application screening (weight: pass/fail) based on the candidates' application and responses to the supplemental questions. Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview (weight: 100%). Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations or further evaluation of work experience may be conducted to group applicants by level of qualification . All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California and applicants must participate at their own expense. IMPORTANT
: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply"
button above. If you are not on the County's website, please go to https://jobs.smcgov.org/
to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date. This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted 5 days in advance in the San Mateo County Human Resources Department. Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process. TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE
Final Filing Date: ContinuousAt the County of San Mateo, we welcome and celebrate the diversity of our employees, and strive to create a workplace where they feel valued every day. County of San Mateo is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Analyst: Wendy Young (042721) (Clinical Laboratory Scientist II - F023)