Description HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
The El Dorado County Health And Human Services Agency is committed to transforming lives and improving futures for the citizens of El Dorado County. Their programs and services include: Behavioral Health, Public Health, Community and Social Services. Their over 600 employees are dedicated to enhancing and enriching the lives of those in their communities. ANIMAL SERVICES
The El Dorado County Animal Shelter houses and cares for stray, unwanted, or displaced animals. Every effort is made to place healthy, adoptable animals into new permanent, loving homes. We coordinate foster and volunteer programs, educate the community on pet overpopulation, and help people who have lost or found a pet. THE OPPORTUNITY
Put your knowledge and love of animals to use helping your community! You will have the opportunity to provide medical and surgical services to animals at the county animal shelters; oversee the work of staff who assist with animal health or euthanasia procedures; and represent the County on the care and treatment of animals and pets. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to:
- Advise appropriate Agency management staff on animal health care practices to maintain compliance with established standards of care; may be designated as the responsible licensee for the purpose of premise registration.
- Examine, diagnose, and perform routine and emergency medical treatment of all impounded animals; vaccinates animals against Rabies, Distemper, Parvo, Upper Respiratory Infection, and other diseases common to canines, felines, and other animals commonly found in shelters; perform spay/neutering surgery on animals prior to adoption; examine animals prior to adoption and before release to ensure health condition.
- Develop and implement protocols for handling ill and injured animals in the shelter.
- Provide ongoing training for staff to identify animals requiring isolation or veterinary care; train and supervise non-professional staff performing or assisting with veterinary duties or medical procedures; advise/explain proper medical care and treatment of animals to staff.
- Oversee the visual monitoring on a daily basis of impounded animals, including those that may be isolated or quarantined for signs of illness or unusual behavior; assure that problems are promptly reported; determine and direct appropriate action as required.
- Perform euthanasia of designated animals.
- Oversee the use of immobilization capture drugs and drugs used for euthanasia.
Human Resources will assess your application to determine if you are minimally qualified using the following recommendations:
Where college degrees and/or college course credits are required, degrees and college units must be obtained from a regionally accredited college or university. Courses from non-regionally accredited institutions will not be evaluated for this requirement.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree; AND one (1) year of experience in the diagnosis and treatment of animals in a clinical setting, private practice or shelter environment, including the performance of surgery. Other Requirements:
SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
- A valid license issued by the California Board of Examiners in Veterinary Medicine to practice as a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, is required prior to appointment.
- A valid California Driver License, Class C or higher, is required prior to appointment.
- Incumbents in this class may be required to obtain and maintain Drug Enforcement Administration licensure.
Must be available for after hours medical emergencies as needed.
Apply online by clicking the 'Apply' link at the top of this announcement. When your online application and responses to the required supplemental questions are complete, click 'Accept'.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment, contact Heather Andersen in Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org .
For more information on the recruitment process, click here. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
The County of El Dorado is recruiting applicants for Veterinarian (Consulting Health Professional). This recruitment will establish a list for the purpose of filling current and future extra help vacancies for at least three (3) months.
There are currently two (2) extra help vacancies in the Animal Services division of the Health and Human Services Agency, located in Placerville, Ca. Extra help vacancies are made to maintain adequate coverage of work for short periods of time at frequent intervals, where employment is of a recurrent nature depending on the needs of the Agency; work may be seasonal, on-call, and/or for a limited duration.
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions.
The County of El Dorado is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Many job classifications require a pre-employment medical screening. Depending on the job classification, medical screening may include testing for drugs, including but not limited to marijuana; a positive test may result in revocation of an employment offer.
Not just rustic mining towns and historic sites - Today El Dorado County is a year-round vacation destination overflowing with outdoor adventure, inviting agritourism locations, enriching family activities, and a proud Gold Rush history. Escape the traffic and smog because El Dorado County is just:
- 40 miles from Downtown Sacramento
- 50 miles from Sacramento Airport
- 129 miles to San Francisco
Here are a few of the many activities and events available throughout El Dorado County:
CHECK OUT OUR VIDEO TO LEARN MORE!
- Hiking, Camping, Fishing, Boating, and Watersports
- Skiing and Snowboarding
- Live Music and Music Festivals
- Local Craft Breweries and Wineries
- El Dorado County Fair
- Placerville Speedway
- Farm to Fork Restaurants
- Local Shopping Gems
Closing Date/Time: Continuous