Salary: $89,952.00 - $114,396.00 Annually USD
To receive first consideration for this position: Submit a 1) Completed City application, 2) Current resume and 3) Completed Supplemental Questionnaire by the final filing date. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. This recruitment may remain open until filled.
The Santa Clara City Library is looking for a part-time (20hrs/week) experienced library professional to curate and preserve the Library's genealogical and local history collections. In this role, the incumbent will help drive programs and services to build meaningful community partnerships, implement innovative and timely programs that appeal to diverse audiences and help the Library develop a history collection that is inclusive and reflective of the City's diverse community. As a vital member of the Adult Services team, this position will also perform a full range of reference and information services both in person and via telephone using a full range of print, online, and electronic resources.
Salary and benefits will be pro-rated to the 1/2 time salary and benefits for 20 hours per week
This is the full journey level class within the professional Librarian series. Employees at this level require only occasional instruction or assistance as new or unusual situations arise, and can independently and competently perform all operating procedures and functions of the work unit.
Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee admittance into the examination process. only the most qualified candidates who demonstrate the best combination of qualifications in relation to the requirements and duties of the position will be invited to test.
Under general supervision:
• Prepares professional librarian duties
• Provides bibliographic instruction to library patrons
• Facilitates access to library materials using a variety of print and electronic resources
• Performs manual and computerized bibliographic searches
• Provides assistance to library patron of all ages in location and use of library materials, resources and facilities
• Provides reader's advisory services
• Answers reference questions at all levels of complexity
• Evaluates and selects library materials
• Serves as a member of library teams and on task forces
• Attends related training, workshops, and conferences and participates in professional development activities
• Develops and provides subject expertise in accessing library materials and special collections
• Analyzes library collections and assists in their development, maintenance, and preservation
• Participates in researching and drafting of reference/information service policies and procedures
• Participates in community, interagency, or local library system committees and meetings
• Gathers data and prepares reports or special studies on library policies, procedures, or other assigned topics
• Administers or carries out the terms of grants and/or other special projects
• Directs professional, volunteer, paraprofessional, or page staff
• Plans and implements adult programs
• Is responsible for selection, deselection, and evaluation of library materials
• Acts as lead librarian for a library program, facility, or branch in the absence of senior staff
• Performs other related duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Possession of a Masters Degree in Library Information Science from an American Library Association accredited library school
• The equivalent of two (2) years of recent increasingly responsible professional library experience performing duties similar to Librarian I for the Santa Clara City
• Experience providing reference service is required.
• Experience in supervising the work of others and/or significant experience as a project or program lead is desirable.
• Possession of an appropriate, valid California driver's license is required at time of appointment and for the duration of employment.
• Prior to hire, candidates will be required to successfully pass a pre-employment background check, which may include employment verification, a DMV record check, a criminal history check, and Department of Justice (DOJ) and Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) fingerprinting. Any information obtained will be used to determine eligibility for employment in accordance with the law. A conviction history will not necessarily disqualify an applicant from appointment; however, failure to disclose a conviction when required will result in disqualification from the recruitment process.
• Must be able to perform all the essential functions of the job assignment.
• May be required to work evenings and weekends
Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. The City will not sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications, transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Public library principles and practices
• Dewey Decimal classification
• Library of Congress Subject Headings
• Computerized bibliographic databases
• Online bibliographic searching techniques, including the Internet and World Wide Web
• Principles of intellectual freedom
• Reference interviewing techniques
• Collection development principles and techniques
• Principles and practices of supervision, training and scheduling
• Budgeting principles
• Policies, procedures and functions of the library system
• Apply library procedures and policies
• Work effectively, either independently or as part of a team
• Organize work assignments
• Recognize and establish job priorities
• Use sound judgment
• Work comfortably with current stand computer operating systems
• Use computers and computer applications effectively
• Communicate complex data, both orally and in writing
• Work productively as a team member and on task forces
• Establish and maintain good working relationships with others contacted in the course of work
• Plan, organize and carry out special assignments
• Be cross trained and work occasionally in other library program areas
• Assign, train, supervise and evaluate paraprofessional and page staff
Santa Clara, California