Working Title Academic Labor Relations Specialist (CAS III)
Classification Title Confidential Administrative Support III
Under general direction of the Academic Personnel Labor Relations Manager, the Academic Employee & Labor Relations Analyst provides high level professional and analytical support in the areas of employee relations services to the campus including consultation and support to University management, employees and designated representatives, through analysis and interpretation of University policies and procedures, applicable labor law, contract administration, problem- solving and decision-making assistance, organizational review and analysis and third party mediation and conflict resolution services.
Incumbent is responsible for advising the campus (Examples include advising Academic Affairs, Academic Colleges, Library and departments) regarding policy implementation, employee and labor relations matters for Unit 3/California Faculty Association represented employees and Unit 11/UAW, Academic Student Employees (ASE). Advise management on corrective actions and personnel actions and develops multi-dimensional strategies for complex and critical employment matters. Coach and counsel managers and employees in clarifying goals and objectives, enhancing problem solving and in planning and communications skills. Work collaboratively with Academic Affairs in developing, conducting or participating in academic personnel training activities.
In coordination with the Manager of Academic Personnel Labor Relations, the incumbent will serve as the subject matter expert for represented academic and ASE staff.
FLSA Exempt - This position is covered by health benefits, and is exempt, (not eligible for overtime compensation) according to the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Classification Salary Range
$5,102 - $11,325 Monthly
Hiring Range $5,102 - $8,000 monthly, commensurate with qualifications and experience
Salary Grade/Range 3
Is this position Hourly or Intermittent? No
Regular or Temporary Regular
Full Time or Part Time Full Time
Pay Plan 12
Work Hours Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm; other hours as required.
HR - Academic Labor Relations
To enter this classification at position skill level I, the incumbent must have a basic foundation of knowledge of the principles of organization, administration and management; and the ability to analyze and find solutions to problems, work independently, communicate effectively, and write clear and concise reports. Some positions may require a basic knowledge of research techniques and statistical methods. This foundation would normally be obtained through a bachelor's degree or professional training program specific to the position (e.g. Certified Public Accountant) and directly related work experience, or a combination of education and experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
1. Experience working with academic or human resources practices, policies, and procedures.
2. Extensive experience interpreting and analyzing policies, procedures, collective bargaining agreements, state and federal laws, and applicable court decisions.
3. Experience working with and maintaining confidential materials and information, such as those associated with sensitive personnel matters.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
4. Working knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations relating to employment, academic and human resources functions.
5. Skills to mediate differences between people and organizations, explore options for mutual gain, and resolve issues to the satisfaction of those involved when possible.
6. Skills to analyze complex problems or information in an objective manner and derive logical conclusions and use original and innovative approaches and techniques to solve difficult problems with multiple variables.
7. Communication skills to express ideas clearly and to train large and small groups for the purpose of enhancing organizational effectiveness, or for professional development classes.
8. Excellent writing skills to produce clear, well organized, concise, publishable analytical reports, procedures, and/or disciplinary memos as well as copy for web publication and correspondence.
9. Analytical and problem-solving skills.
10. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with people from diverse ethnic, socio- economic, professional and educational backgrounds.
11. Ability to make oral presentations to individuals and groups in order to persuade others to accept a new or established idea or policy.
12. Possess strong organizational skills with the ability to efficiently and effectively prioritize work and organize and facilitate multiple projects simultaneously.
13. Proficient in the use and operation of standard office equipment and software (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite).
Conditions of Employment:
- A background check must be satisfactorily completed post-conditional offer.
14. Knowledge of CSU personnel policy, procedures, practices, and Collective Bargaining agreements between the University and various unions.
15. Ability to acquire working knowledge of employee and labor relations practices, procedures and law, in a HEERA collective bargaining environment.
16. Ability to acquire technical expertise to interpret and effectively explain complex collective bargaining agreements, policies and procedures to all levels of MPP, faculty (faculty, coaches, librarians, counselors and lecturers) and staff.
17. Ability to learn and demonstrate techniques in negotiating; exchanging ideas, information, and opinions with others to formulate policies and programs and/or arrive jointly at decisions, conclusions, or solutions.
18. Juris Doctorate in Employment Law.
Valid driver's license and maintenance of safe driving record required.
Is Background Check Required Yes
Background Check Disclaimer
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position.
Candidate will be required to provide official transcripts of their highest degree earned and must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S..
Hiring Preference Not Applicable
Conflict of Interest
The duties of this position may include participation in decisions that may have a material financial benefit to the incumbent. Therefore, the selected candidate may be required to file Conflict of Interest Form 700: Statement of Economic Interest when they first occupy the position, and on an annual basis, complete ethics training within 6 months of appointment, and attend this training every other year thereafter."
California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in the California State University Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
It is the policy of California State University, Sacramento to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need a disability related reasonable accommodation as part of the application and/or interviewing process, visit https://www.csus.edu/administration-business-affairs/internal/your-hr/benefits/disability-parental-leave.html#reasonable-accommodations-interactive-process .
The University is committed to creating an education and working environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. For more information on mandatory training for new employees, visit https://www.csus.edu/compliance/hr-compliance/mandatory-dhr-training.html .
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the current Annual Security Report (ASR) is available for viewing at https://www.csus.edu/clery .
The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and sexual assault prevention information, and drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery Act crimes for Sacramento State for the last three (3) calendar years. Paper copies are available upon request at the Police Service Center located in the University Union.
Posting Number AS0876P
Number of Vacancies 1.0
Open Date 04/13/2021
Open Until Filled Yes
Priority Application Deadline 04/27/2021
Special Instructions to Applicants
Currently working remotely for the duration of the COVID-19 campus closure. Subject to change at the discretion of management.
Recruitment is open until filled. Priority application deadline is 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, April 27, 2021.
Contact Name Employment Services
Contact Phone 916-278-6326
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* The minimum qualifications for this classification require a bachelor's degree or professional training program specific to the position and directly related work experience, OR a combination of education and experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position. Please describe briefly how you meet this requirement.
(Open Ended Question)
Documents Needed To Apply
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled