Description: Department of the Library Pollak Library Senior Assistant Librarian or Associate Librarian July 2021
The Pollak Library at California State University, Fullerton, invites applications for a tenure-track Director of University Archives and Special Collections to join our dedicated community of librarians, staff, and student assistants.
California State University, Fullerton (CSUF) is a minority-serving institution and an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. CSUF is strongly commitment to increasing the diversity of the campus community and the curriculum, and to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. The Pollak Library values and is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates, who can demonstrate through their work, research and/or service, that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community and those from groups whose underrepresentation in American librarianship has been severe and longstanding are particularly encouraged to apply. The University
California State University, Fullerton is the largest of 23 campuses, which comprise the California State University system. The campus is located in northern Orange County, convenient to numerous cultural and recreational sites throughout Southern California. As a comprehensive university, CSUF offers baccalaureate degrees in 57 fields of knowledge, graduate (master's level) work in 52 programs, credential programs for teachers, and doctoral degrees in education (Ed.D.) and nursing practice (DNP). The University's Web site is located at: http://www.fullerton.edu The Library
We serve more than 40,000 students as well as approximately 4,000 faculty and staff. Our website, http://www.library.fullerton.edu
, serves as a gateway to library resources that include 1.6 million books, government documents, and audiovisual materials; over 230,000 periodicals available electronically or in print; and 207 electronic databases. Our current staff includes 22 FTE librarians and 27 FTE paraprofessionals. University Archives and Special Collections
Pollak Library's University Archives and Special Collections (UA&SC) - http://www.library.fullerton.edu/services/special-collections.php
- hold approximately 40,000 volumes and 8,000 linear feet of archival material. Key collections include the Willis E. McNelly Science Fiction Collection, Archives of Popular Culture, Chicanx Resource Center Collection materials, rare books, antiquarian maps, a dedicated Freedom Center Collection focusing on political publications often reflecting the views of radical and marginalized groups. Collections are frequently utilized in scholarly research, library instruction and University teaching via collaborative projects. Position
The Director of University Archives and Special Collections provides innovative and strategic leadership to maximize the impact of the Library's special collections and archives. This Director will have an opportunity to use creativity and innovation in building a library for the 21st century.
The Directorship is classified as a Librarian at CSUF. The successful applicant accordingly will have faculty status and will be expected to meet promotion and tenure requirements, including scholarly, service and professional activities. Responsibilities
- Provide dedicated, innovative, and strategic leadership of the UA&SC in accordance with the University's mission.
- As a public-facing department, serve our diverse patrons and communities with equity, dedication and a clear commitment to inclusion and anti-racism.
- Oversee and guide UA&SC staff, including the University Archivist and interns.
- Implement collection development and management policy pertaining to the Library's UA&SC.
- In collaboration with campus academic Departments, teach student instruction sessions utilizing UA&SC resources.
- Lead outreach and advocacy to generate donations and support scholarly research across the academic and wider communities.
- In light of the ongoing renovation of the Library's sixth floor, collaboratively fundraise and plan for the relocation of UA&SC's collections.
- Collaboratively plan and design physical and online exhibitions showcasing the holdings of the UA&SC.
- Oversee the Library's digitization studio, including assessment of collections for priority as part of the planned expansion of our dedicated program.
- Deliver presentations demonstrating the value of UA&SC to the Patrons of the Library, potential donors, and other stakeholders.
Positive tenure and promotion decisions require taking part in scholarly and professional activities and serving on department, library, and university committees. Required Qualifications
- Master's degree in library and/or information science from an ALA-accredited institution or equivalent institution by the time of appointment, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Significant professional experience in a special collections environment, with evidence of responsibility, innovative leadership, and successful personnel oversight.
- A solid understanding of and ability to implement best practices in special collections and archives.
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, and the ability to interact effectively and respectfully in a multicultural environment with all members of our campus community.
- Excellent presentation, communication, and collaborative skills.
Rank & Salary
- Experience and holistic understanding of information organization in a special collections context, including MARC, LC classification, EAD, etc.
- Vision for the potential of emerging technologies in an archival and special collections context.
- Experience with student instruction in special collections and archives.
- Experience in creative public programming and exhibition curation.
- Track record of successful grant writing, fund raising and donor stewardship.
- Interest in, or evidence of, pursuit of a research plan designed to support success in the tenure track process.
The position will be at the faculty rank of Senior Assistant Librarian or Associate Librarian. Salary range will be from $76,000-$82,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications, and is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available that includes: health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and dependent fee-waiver; access to campus child-care; and a defined-benefit retirement through the state system along with optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, please visit https://hr.fullerton.edu/total-wellness/
. Anticipated Appointment Date
July 1, 2021 Application Procedure
A complete online application must be submitted in order to receive consideration. To apply, please visit http://hr.fullerton.edu/careers/Faculty.php
to apply for requisition #499819, and provide the following application materials:
- Letter of interest (relating your experience to the required qualifications)
- Curriculum vitae
- A Candidate Statement on Commitment to Inclusive Excellence describing the candidate's commitment to working with diverse students, faculty, colleagues, and community.
- This statement provides the candidate's unique perspective on their past and present contributions to and future aspirations for promoting diversity, inclusion, and social justice in their professional careers.
- The purpose of the inclusive excellence statement is to help departments identify candidates who have professional experience, intellectual commitments, and/or willingness to engage in activities that could help CSUF contribute to its mission in these areas.
- A list of three references with relevant contact information
- Finalists will be required to have three letters of recommendation submitted. Please have these ready for the referents to submit. On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. At the appropriate time in the search process, they will receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back into your applicant portal.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Ann Roll at email@example.com
or call (657) 278-8625 Application Deadline
For full consideration, all application materials should be received by May 14, 2021
. Position will remain open until filled. Additional Information
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be formally offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
Notice of Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator (http://www.fullerton.edu/titleix/about/notice.php)
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled