The Modesto Irrigation District is recruiting to fill one full-time vacancy in the Power Generation Department, Electric Resources Division to install, modify, maintain and operate the District's generation facilities.Any Qualified Individual May Apply.
This is a non-exempt position and is allocated to Utility Services and Maintenance Bargaining Unit. The list established as a result of this recruitment may be used to fill other Generation Technician/Technician Apprentice vacancies that may occur within the District through March 30, 2022.
If there is a lack of qualified candidates at the Generation Technician Journey level, the position will be filled at the Apprentice level and the incumbent's training and advancement will be governed by the District's Generation Technician Apprentice Training Program. Successful candidates at the apprentice level will be required to sign an Apprentice Agreement prior to beginning the Apprentice Training Program. Copies of the Apprentice Training Program and Apprentice Agreement are available in the Human Resources Department for review. Examples of Duties:
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Other Related Duties
- Operate a variety of power generation and auxiliary equipment including gas turbines, hydraulic turbines and their support systems, evaluate and adjust machine operating parameters, monitor control and emission systems, perform various mathematical calculations
- Install and maintain power plant electronic/electrical control systems, electrical, mechanical, and hydraulic equipment; modify power plant systems as directed including design, fabrication and assembly
- Operate gas and arc welding equipment; operate and maintain high voltage electrical switchgear
- Operate various equipment including fork lifts and trucks
- Perform overtime and/or emergency work as required
- Operate mobile cranes.
- This position may involve seasonal or full time shift work and weekend work, including the possibility of rotating shifts.
Other duties as assigned Typical Qualifications:
Any combination of education, experience, knowledge and abilities may satisfy the necessary minimum qualifications. A typical way to obtain the education, experience, knowledge and abilities would be: Education:
High school diploma or equivalent. Experience:
Successful completion of an approved apprenticeship program for Generation Technician or Two (2) years of journey level generation experience in a related area involving electrical or mechanical maintenance and operations is required for the journey level position. Twelve (12) months experience in a related area for the apprentice level. Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of principles, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the installation, operation, maintenance and modification of electrical, electronic, mechanical and hydraulic systems.
- Ability to read and understand technical drawings, sketches, plans, specifications and maintenance manuals; use electrical, electronic and mechanical tools, instruments and equipment skillfully and safely; perform switching operations in accordance with District safety rules and operating orders; work effectively either alone or in conjunction with other employees, and with a minimum of direct supervision; work cooperatively with others; prepare clear, complete and concise reports and records; follow oral and written instructions.
Must have a valid California Class C driver license. Residency: Residence within a 35-mile radius of the Generation Technician's assigned primary work station must be established within six (6) months of appointment to this position and maintained thereafter. The Generation Department's primary work stations are defined as: McClure Generation Station (639 S. McClure Rd., Modesto, CA); Woodland Generation Station (920 Woodland Ave., Modesto, CA); Ripon Generation Station (1015 S. Stockton Blvd., Ripon, CA). Apprentice Agreement: The Apprentice Generation Technician position will be required to sign an Apprentice Agreement prior to beginning work. Supplemental Information:
Qualified applicants must submit a completed District application. Application screening will begin on or after Wednesday, April 28, 2021.
Applications received after this date are not guaranteed consideration.
Applications will be reviewed on a comparative basis and only those most qualified will be invited to continue in the selection process, which will consist of an overall assessment of the individual's skills through (1) written test; (2) oral interview and (3) contacting of references to include current and former supervisors. The applicant must perform successfully in each phase of the recruitment in order to continue in the selection process.
Applicants requiring necessary accommodations to the application process may contact Human Resources at (209) 526-7341. California Relay Service is available at (800) 735-2922 voice and (800) 735-2929 TDD.
The Modesto Irrigation District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT WILL BE REQUIRED TO PROVIDE VERIFICATION OF HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR GED AND APPLICABLE HIGHER EDUCATION DEGREE, PASS A MEDICAL EXAM INCLUDING A DRUG AND ALCOHOL SCREEN, AND A COMPLETE BACKGROUND CHECK PRIOR TO BEGINNING WORK. INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS ANNOUNCEMENT MAY BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE