JOB SUMMARYJOB SUMMARY
The City of San Marcos is looking for energetic individuals to staff our Discovery Camp. The camp provides area children, ages 5 thru 10, with a fun and educational filled summer that includes games, activities, science experiments, crafts, and field trips! This is a temporary employment.Staff training is Monday June 7, 2021-June 11, 2021. Camp runs from June 14-August 6th. Staff must be present from 7:15 am-5:30 pm
. Activity Leaders report to Youth Services Manager, Youth Services Specialist, and Discovery Camp Site Supervisor.
* Programming and hiring needs are subject to change due to Covid-19. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DECISION MAKING ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Performs child supervision duties for both on and off campus program activities; administers first aid; enforces adherence to safety rules; fills out handwritten forms; performs safety inspections daily.
- Administers recreation activities on camp site and Discovery Center, including structured activities; swimming, movies, weekly special field trips, science experiments, crafts, team building activities, and outdoor adventures.
- Schedules daily and weekly camp educational lesson plans: crafts, games, and other onsite activities.
- Maintains campus site area; cleans floors; picks up trash; cleans bathrooms and performs other janitorial work as needed. (janitorial is contracted and is not available during the day).
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Salary is dependent upon qualifications) MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- Must be able to perform duties safely and apply policies and procedures appropriately.
- Supervise children at all times.
- Must be able to facilitate an atmosphere that encourages challenge, learning, and growth.
CORE COMPETENCIES AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS CORE COMPETENCIES
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Ability to learn and administer first aid. Experience working with children required.
- Required to work a full 10 weeks with the program.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Must be able to read city and departmental policies, procedure manuals and memos. Writing skills are necessary to prepare reports, activity logs, safety inspection forms and accident reports.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills are required; must be able to maintain positive working relationships with site personnel, supervisors, program participants, and parents.
Physical requirements include lifting up to 30 pounds occasionally. Subject to standing, sitting, walking, vision, hearing and talking frequently; lifting, carrying, pushing/pulling, reaching, handling, fine dexterity, kneeling, crouching, crawling, bending, twisting, climbing and balancing occasionally.
Working conditions involve indoor and outdoor work, in the heat, sun, high humidity and wind; occasionally exposed to swimming pool chemicals, slippery surfaces; noise around crowds and whistles. Safety Sensitive Position.