THE POSITION PLEASE NOTE:
Employment dates for this position are from May to August, possibly September.NON-CAREER PART-TIME/SEASONALTHE POSITION
In the Landscape & Learning (L&L) program, the Crew Leader is a youth developer who works alongside 5-10 Youth Aides. The staff position is responsible for providing outdoor park maintenance such as weeding, trimming trees and bushes, edging walkways, cleaning restrooms, and trash removal in City parks. Additionally, a Crew Leader will manage work tools and materials, keep record of work hours, document significant events and develop positive work habits within their crew. Each Crew Leader is assigned a vehicle to transport work equipment to and from their worksite each day. They are responsible for providing a safe work environment for their crew daily.
On a part-time basis, organize and lead on-the-job vocational training, recreation, and youth development for young people; perform various clean-up and maintenance tasks in city parks and green spaces. DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS
Employees in this classification are non-career. Incumbents can work up to 1040 hours per year. The Crew Leader, Landscape and Learning (L&L) is independently responsible for managing the work of young people including developing job skills, managing tools and materials, working with the public, keeping records of work hours and documenting significant events or issues. The Crew Leader, L&L leads recreational activities for team and relationship building.SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
General supervision is provided by higher-level staff. Responsibilities include the direct supervision of the Youth Aide classification.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all the listed duties and/or may be required to perform related duties as needed.
- Lead various recreation and youth development program activities.
- Lead, train, and instruct the work of a crew of Youth Aides.
- Serve as an example and role model to Youth Aides.
- Participate in the work and train Youth Aides to perform manual labor projects using general landscaping tools.
- Operate a motor vehicle safely to transport Youth Aides to work sites.
- Inspect equipment, recommend replacement or repair as needed; ensure proper care and use of equipment.
- Compile basic written records related to assigned programs or facility.
- Open and close recreational and/or community facilities; monitor facility use; prepare and set up facilities for use.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Common youth development practices and methods used in supervising youth.
- Leadership and training principles.
- Basic first aid and safety practices.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Read, write, and speak the English language at a level necessary for efficient job
- Organize and lead a variety of recreation and youth development program activities.
- Supervise and train Youth Aides.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Six months of full-time experience in a lead or supervisory capacity.
Successful completion of college-level courses may substitute for the experience requirement on a year for year basis.
Completion of fifteen (15) semester units is equivalent to six months of experience. PROOF OF EDUCATION
Should education be used to qualify for this position, then proof of education such as, but not limited to, university/college transcripts and degrees must be submitted to the City of Sacramento Employment Office
as an attachment(s) to the online application, faxed to (916) 596-1556, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by the final filing deadline
. If submitting via fax/email, please include your name and Job #009138-21-YPCE
on your documents. Unofficial documents and/or copies are acceptable. Applicants are responsible for attaching proof of education to each position for which they apply.
An applicant with a college degree obtained outside the United States must have education records evaluated by a credentials evaluation service. This evaluation must be submitted by the final filing deadline . Special Qualifications
Driver License: Possession of a valid California Class C Driver License is required at time of appointment. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Must be at least 21 years old by time of appointment. Must be 25 years old by time of appointment for some assignments.
If considered for appointment, candidates must:
- Pass a physical and criminal background check.
- Pass a tuberculosis screening test.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK CONDITIONS:
- This position is designated as Mandatory Reporter; completion of Mandatory Reporter training is required within two weeks of employment.
The conditions herein are typically required of an incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions
May be required to work weekends.
This is an active position requiring the ability to move about on foot, with frequent walking, and running; frequent starts and stops; perform simple and power grasping; verbal and hearing skills to effectively communicate with participants and staff; visual acuity to read and record documents and make observations.
Work may be performed outdoors with exposure to heat, often over 100 degrees, sun, noise, dust, and pollens; intermittently, lift, carry or move equipment of 20 pounds or less.
THE SELECTION PROCEDURE Please note, the City of Sacramento's preferred method of communication with applicants is via e-mail. As such, please ensure you verify the e-mail address on your application, and check your e-mail frequently, including your spam and junk folders. All e-mail notifications can also be accessed through the governmentjobs.com applicant inbox. 1. Application:
(Pass/Fail) - All applicants must complete and submit online
a City of Sacramento employment application by the final filing deadline ;
- Employment applications must be submitted online; paper applications will not be accepted.
- Employment applications will be considered incomplete and will be disqualified:
- If applicants do not list current and past job-related experience in the duties area of the "Work Experience" section. Note: Qualifying experience is based on 40 hours per week (pro-rated if less than 40 hours/week).
- If "see resume" is noted in the "Work Experience" section; a resume will not substitute for the information required in the "Work Experience" section.
Position/job titles will not be considered in determining eligibility for meeting the minimum qualifications for this position. Supplemental documents such as resume, cover letter, and proof of education are highly preferred and recommended at the time of application submission. Documents should be submitted to the City of Sacramento Employment Office as attachment(s) via online with the employment application, emailed to email@example.com
, or by FAX to (916) 596-1556. If submitting via FAX/email, please include your name and Job #009138-21-YPCE
on your documents.Applicants are responsible for attaching proof of education, certification, and/or license to each position for which they apply. 2. Supplemental Questionnaire:
(Pass/Fail) - In addition to the City of Sacramento employment application, all applicants must complete and submit online responses to the supplemental questionnaire to the City of Sacramento Employment Office by the final filing deadline ;
3. Screening Committee:
- Responses to the supplemental questionnaire must be submitted online; paper questionnaire will not be accepted.
- Incomplete supplemental questionnaire will not pass the review process; omitted information cannot be considered or assumed.
- A resume will not substitute for the information required in the supplemental questionnaire.
(Pass/Fail) - Human Resources will forward employment applications of individuals who submitted all the required documents (i.e. City of Sacramento Application and Supplemental Questionnaire) to the hiring department.4. Hiring Interview:
Those candidates determined to be the MOST QUALIFIED will be invited to participate in an interview process coordinated by the hiring department. There will be no eligible list established, as positions will be seasonal and/or part-time. A hiring interview is not guaranteed.5. Conditional Hire:
Upon receipt of a conditional offer, the selected candidate must complete and pass LiveScan/fingerprinting. If applicable, candidates may also need to pass a pre-employment medical exam, controlled substance and/or alcohol test, and possess any required licensure or certification prior to receiving a start date from the Department. Failure to meet these prerequisites will be grounds for withdrawal of your conditional offer of employment.QUESTIONS:
For questions concerning this job announcement and the application process: