Salary: $87,719.48 - $133,475.57 USD
Apply By: May 12, 2021
St. Johns County Board of County Commissioners is seeking a Director for our Parks and Recreation department whose headquarters are located in beautiful St. Augustine, Florida.
St. Johns County residents enjoy a healthy quality of life with many perks including the #1 rated public school system in the State of Florida, miles of beach shoreline, peaceful estuary scenery of the St. Johns River, long established agriculture and equestrian scene, and the nation’s oldest city, historic St. Augustine. In 2019 St. Johns County was ranked the 10th fastest growing county in the United States showcasing that there is truly something for everyone in St. Johns County!
The St. Johns County Parks and Recreation Department is committed to a thriving local park system, the opportunity for our residents and visitors to enjoy healthy, active lifestyles, and the preservation of the natural beauty of our environment. Locals and visitors alike are encouraged to explore the many ways Parks and Recreation is making our communities happier and healthier by providing a place where it all comes together – a sense of community, an appreciation of history, and a respect for nature.
The newly selected Parks and Recreation Director will oversee the recreation programming, park maintenance, recreational facility management, beach services activities, and waterway management divisions.
The ideal Parks and Recreation Director candidate must possess St. Johns County’s core values of compassion, innovation, and trustworthiness and must work well in a collaborative team environment. Some of the specific tasks include but are not limited to:
- Plans, develops and directs parks and recreational service functions for all segments, groups, and interest levels within the County. Oversees Parks Maintenance, Recreation and Athletics, Aquatics, St. Johns Golf Club, Beaches and Pier operations.
- Provides leadership to departmental staff. Trains, assigns, directs, supervises, evaluates and disciplines personnel.
- Develops, supports, controls and administers the budget for the department. Guides the development and oversees compliance of the divisions’ budgets. Directs the department’s grant management practices.
- Develops strategic goals and objectives. Develops and implements department policies and procedures.
- Analyzes recreational trends and county requirements to meet the breadth of the community’s recreational interests. Directs the preparation of periodic and special reports to support department priorities and initiatives.
- Oversees the department’s long-range planning, capital projects, and safety initiatives.
- Coordinates public relations activities through news media and public speaking engagements. Provides technical assistance and guidance to county officials, agencies and community groups. Responds to and resolves complaints, questions and concerns. Through presentations and meetings determines community needs for recreation programs and park facilities.
- Coordinates events and activities with other county departments and staff to promote St. Johns County.
- Collaborates on tourism development related programs and activities.
Candidates for the Parks and Recreation Director are encouraged to apply if they meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in parks and recreation administration or related course of study. Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the diverse objectives and functions of the subunits in the department in order to direct and coordinate work within the division/department, usually interpreted to require five to eight years of progressively responsible related experience, with at least three years in a supervisory capacity.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Florida driver’s license and any other endorsements necessary to legally operate vehicles used while assigned to this position.
- Must possess good interpersonal and communication skills in order to serve others.
- Must be able to comprehend, speak and write the English language.
- Must be able to operate a computer.
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.
NOTE TO APPLICANTS:
St. Johns County Board of County Commissioners is a drug free workplace and equal opportunity employer.
All employment actions are taken without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, handicap, disability, marital status, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information.
St. Augustine, Florida