The Position This is a continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on: 4/23/2021, 5/21/2021 (Final Cut-Off)
Associate Transportation Engineer is the first level in the transportation engineering series requiring registration as a traffic, civil or electrical engineer. An Associate Transportation Engineer performs difficult and complex engineering work and acts as lead supervisor to a small group of engineers and/or paraprofessional engineering staff. Associates may serve as project/resident engineers on a single major or several minor engineering projects. Watch to Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and Abilities Knowledge of
- The principles and practices of traffic engineering such as:
- Traffic signs, devices, and electrical equipment used in traffic control
- Statutes and guidelines regarding accommodations for individuals with disabilities as they apply to the design of traffic-related facilities
- Relationship between signal timing/phasing and accident mitigation
- Physical, operational and design standards for pedestrian and bicycle travel
The principles and practices of civil engineering or electrical engineering as they relate to transportation systems and travel on those systems.Municipal government surveyor and permit functionsFederal, State and local laws, ordinances, and regulations pertaining to highway programsPrinciples and techniques of personnel management and supervisionBudget preparation for individual projectsAbility to
Employment Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
- Prepare detailed plans and specifications
- Perform technical research work and make detailed analysis
- Prepare complete and comprehensive reports
- Analyze traffic engineering problems and adopt effective courses of action
- Lay out work and guide subordinate personnel in performance of projects
- Supervise and train paraprofessional and technical staff
- Make effective oral and written presentations
- Maintain effective working relationships with superiors; subordinates; representatives from other County departments, other jurisdictions, and community councils and groups; and the general public
Possession of a valid certificate of registration as a traffic engineer, civil engineer or electrical engineer issued by the California State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers.Note:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.General Qualifications
A valid California Driver's License, Class C or higher, is required prior to appointment to this class. Failure to maintain a valid California Driver's License, may constitute cause for termination from this class in accordance with Civil Service Rule 11.4. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Sit for extended periods, frequently stand and walk
- Have manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination to use a variety of office equipment such as computers, telephones, calculators, copiers, and drafting equipment
- Have corrected vision in order to review designs and studies and perform other essential functions of the job
- Occasionally walk on uneven terrain at construction sites, etc.
- Individuals who are unable to pass some of the physical requirements due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
May be required to work in excess of 40 hours a week and/or work irregular hours, particularly during emergency situations.
Criminal History Check
The County may access criminal history information on candidates who have accepted a conditional offer of appointment within this class consistent with the provisions of the Board of Supervisors Resolution No. 82-602, Personnel Policies and Procedure B-5 and applicable federal and state law. The County shall not consider for employment any candidate who has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor that relates to or impacts the candidate's ability to perform the job duties of this class unless it is determined that mitigating circumstances exist. For purposes of accessing criminal history information, the candidate will be fingerprinted. A subsequent arrest notification may be obtained.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification is Twelve (12)
months Application and Testing Information APPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: 5/21/2021 5:00 PM Pacific