DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES
EXAM NUMBER : Y5611E OPEN COMPETITIVE JOB OPPORTUNITY
THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS A REBULLETIN TO UPDATE THE EXAMINATION CONTENT INFORMATION.SPECIAL SALARY INFORMATION
:Due to Manpower Shortage Recruitment, new appointments and current incumbents shall be compensated at step 7 of the applicable salary range. This is in effect until June 30, 2019 or until it is determined that a shortage no longer exists, whichever is sooner.DEFINITION:
Examines, diagnoses and corrects to maximum efficiency patients' non-medical visual problems through use of corrective lenses, both spectacle and contact, and other optical aids.
Essential Job Functions
- Interviews and examines patients having a full range of vision problems, consulting medical charts when available.
- Determines, using a full field of optometric instruments and equipment, such things as patients' visual acuity; amplitude of accommodation; refractive state at far and near point; and accommodation, convergence, and biocular coordination at far and near point.
- Conducts fundus (living eye) examination through biomicroscopy, including viewing with fixed lens and camera.
- Utilizes ophthalmometry for high astigmatic diagnosis.
- Employs low vision aids such as telescopic and microscopic lenses for the correction of sub-normal vision.
- Determines proper remedial alternatives and discusses and interprets findings with patients and/or parents; suggesting appropriate remedial method.
- Refers patients with indications of possible pathological condition to an ophthalmologist for additional examination.
- Consults with ophthalmologist when appropriate.
- Calculates proper prescription employing formulas ranging from those necessary to calculate simple, single corrective lenses, through those necessary to calculate contact lenses, prisms, iseikonic and ophakic lenses.
- Instructs resident ophthalmologists and paramedical personnel in the field of ophthalmic instrumentation and procedure by planning and developing a course of training under the direction of a chief of ophthalmology services; conducting lectures and demonstrations, and observing clinic practice.
- Prepares, justifies and submits the annual optometry budget based upon estimates of space and equipment needs and projected workload.
Requirements MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
A license to practice optometry issued by the California State Board of Optometry.PHYSICAL CLASS:
2 - Light. Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking my be involved.
Additional Information SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
Applicants must attach a legible copy of the license issued by the California State Board of Optometry at the time of filing or within 15 calendar days of filing online.
The required license must be current and unrestricted;
conditional, provisional, probationary license and/or certificate will not be accepted.Special Information:
Appointees may be required to work any shift including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays.AVAILABLE SHIFT:
This examination will consist of an evaluation of experience based upon application information weighted 100%.Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the examination in order to be added to the eligible register.
Notification Letters and other correspondences will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that applicants provide a valid email address. Please add email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org to your email address book and to the list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as SPAM/JUNK mail. VACANCY INFORMATION:
The resulting eligible register for this examination will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services, as they occur.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
Applications will be processed on an "as-received"
basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.
The names of candidates receiving a passing grade on this examination will be added to the Eligible Register and will appear in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of eligibility. No person may compete in this examination more than once every twelve (12) months. APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, FAX, OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Apply online by clicking on the "Apply" tab for this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
All information is subject to verification. We may reject your application at any time during the examination and hiring process, including after appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment.
from the Class Specification and Minimum Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT
be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Doing so may result in an INCOMPLETE APPLICATION
and you may be DISQUALIFIED
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met. Application filing may be suspended at any time without advance notice.
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the requirements. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualification for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, description of work performed, and salary earned. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected. Application electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last day of filing will not be accepted.Note:
If you are unable to attach required documents, you may fax them to (323) 869-942 or email the documents to the exam analyst within 15 calendar days of filing online. Please include your name, the exam number and exam title.Social Security Number Language:
All applicants must enter a valid social security number at the time of filing. Entering anything other than a valid social security (i.e. 000-00-0000, 111-11-1111, etc.) will result in an automatic rejection of your application. Computer and Internet access at Public libraries:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.No sharing USER ID and Password:
All applicants must file their application online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.ADA COORDINATOR PHONE:
(323) 869-7124CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE:
800-735-2922 DEPARTMENT CONTACT:
Germine Margosian, Exam Analyst